thinking of trading my 08 FEH for a Prius

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 08:15 AM
rb1
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: thinking of trading my 08 FEH for a Prius

From the perspective of the total cost of ownership, the cost of insurance matters too. Prius is far more expensive to insure than the FEH. I think whatever money you save in the slightly higher MPG would be more than made up in the money you'd save on the auto insurance.

Repairs should be cheaper for a Ford than a Toyota at least for the non-hybrid components, since American cars and trucks typically seem to be a little easier on the pocket. Of course, there is a lot to be said about the FEH being one of the most reliable SUVs on the market since it was first introduced.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:23 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

the 08 FEH is
3/36 bumper to bumper
5/60 powertrain
8/100 hybrid related items
in CA emissions states it is 10/150 on hybrid parts

Old 07-20-2007, 10:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rb1
Prius is far more expensive to insure than the FEH.

Why would it cost more to insure?? I realize that insurance rates vary in different parts of the country, but my Mother's insurance on her 06 Prius is no more expensive then my 06 FEH.

As far as reliability, I doubt there is enough difference between the two vehicles to worry about. My Mother has had two Prius's now & has never had a lick of trouble with either one (The first one was totalled at 47,000 miles when a woman hit her at 50 mph)

I love my FEH & would not trade vehicles with her, but both are awfully impressive vehicles IMHO.

~John

Old 07-20-2007, 11:13 AM
rb1
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmorton10
<snip>
I love my FEH & would not trade vehicles with her, but both are awfully impressive vehicles IMHO.

~John
Absolutely agree!

The auto insurance was significantly higher for the Prius at least in my case. Maybe it's my insurance company...

Old 07-20-2007, 11:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

As a 6+ foot person, one of the things I didn't like about the Prius was the lack of a telescopic steering column. I tried a Mariner Hybrid and a Prius and the Mariner was much more comfortable. I ended up getting an Altima Hybrid because I am more of a car person and it was also more comfortable then the Prius, but the Mariner was the most comfortable SUV on my list.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:58 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ian33
I ended up getting an Altima Hybrid

Altima's are nice cars, what kind of mpg are you getting with that???

~John

Old 07-20-2007, 01:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

We are consistently getting between 36 and 37 MPG over the last 3 fill-ups. That is with normal Central New Jersey driving, no hyper-tricks and multiple drivers. Folks who know what they are doing should be able to match the Camry Hybrid in gas mileage.

This is my first hybrid and first Nissan vehicle. The Altima is fun to drive, comfortable, and gets better gas mileage then the standard Honda Civic that we traded in for it. No problems to report.

I did like the Mariner Hybrid as well.

Old 07-20-2007, 03:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

Despite the popularity of the Prius, I'm one of the few that really dislike it. I think it is a very ugly car. In contrast, I like the FEH quite a bit.

I do not have a hybrid now, but my next car will be one. Currently, I reside in CA. CA's nice weather means the Prius is very popular. But if I return to New England or to an area where I need 4-wheel drive, the FEH is the way to go. Plus, I have 2 medium-sized dogs, so I definitely need more room for them. Lastly, I like sitting up higher. Being a bigger man, the high seating not only makes it easier for me to get in and out of the car, but I have better vision of the road. Low cars, like the Prius, are a pain for me. Hence, IMO, the FEH is the way to go.

Old 07-20-2007, 03:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

I am with Erie Insurance. The Prius was almost 400 more per year for insurance. Thats one of those things I checked when I was out shopping around.

Its all based on if the vehicle is in an accident...what portion of it will be destroyed. I am sure some acctuary is behind it all.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:15 PM
Enthusiast

The people have spoken! Long live the FEH!!!!

in styling, repair costs, insurance, overall quality and a host of other features, the FEH beats the Prius anyday