Tech Help Needed Please

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 11:47 AM
Hybrid Lover
Default Tech Help Needed Please

Hi,

Since I've been going back and forth with this service dept. over who knows more about the hybrid, me or the service advisor, I want to make sure I'm correct. Is it true what I read that the rear brakes don't get used as much in the hybrid as on the regular Escape? This came up because of the discussion about a squealing noise coming from the back brakes at low speeds, mostly when turning left. I tried to tell them what the problem was, according to things I read on this website, and the service advisor didn't think I was correct about the rear brakes not getting used much on the Hybrid.

This service advisor keeps telling me there is really no difference between the hybrid and regular Escape, other than the hybrid battery...but all other systems work the same, so I don't need a hybrid tech to look at my vehicle when it's just in for scheduled maintenance. Okay, but then why didn't they know to replace the AC filter for the rear battery at 20K??

Thanks for any insight that will help me in my discussion, as I'm going to call the service dept. manager and find out why the service advisors don't know much about the hybrids. I don't want to be an ***, but I just think if they are really supposed to be "advising" me, they should know more than me about the vehicle.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:04 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Tech Help Needed Please

In a hybrid, the electric motor(s) can be spun as generators, and the electomagnetic force slows you down. About 50% of the time, you are slowing without any brake pads touching anything, front, or rear.

You have 4 wheel discs.
The rear is a "drum in hat" type brake.
There is a drum brake inside the rear disc brake.
The drum brake is only used with the hand brake ( parking brake ).

The parking brake ( the drum in hat ) is the one the sticks and or drags sometimes ( sometimes often ) and makes squeaks or sounds. I rarely use my hand brake, so I don't hear the sounds. People who use the hand brake all the time tend to hear sounds more often. Sometimes when the hand brake is applied, it does not release all the way.

Since you have 4 wheel hydraulic brakes, these work like a regular car when the stopping power of the electric motor is not enough, or your battery is full. Like a regular car, more weight is in front, so the front usually does more of the stopping. HOWEVER... ususally, the motor is working in tandem with the disc brake, since the transmission is up front, and the rear disc brake works alone. SO overall, the rear gets about the same wear and tear as the front.

Ford initially expected the rear pads to wear out sooner.
In real life, I have never found this to be true.
In my car, and from everyone I talk to, a four brake pads wear about the same.

Does that clear it up, or confuse you more?
-John

Old 03-03-2008, 02:02 PM
Hybrid Lover

Thanks John,

LOL, it did clear it up for me at first, and I thought you were saying I was right about the rear brakes not getting much use, but by the end it seems you are saying they get just as much use as the regular Escape. Is that true? Or are you saying they get as much use as the front on the hybrid? In which case, the rear brakes are still used less than in a regular Escape, right?

Old 03-03-2008, 02:36 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

The brakes when used, all get used, so they wear out at pretty much an even rate between the front and the back. A FEH compared to a conventional Escape uses the disc brakes far less due to the regenerative braking; so much so that a FEH may only need disc maintenance 1/2 to 1/4 of the time that a conventional Escape would. (Depending on your driving, or more specifically your braking habits.)

Don't let them BS you either, a number of systems are different and many things operate differently on a FEH from a conventional Escape; the FEH isn't just an Escape with a battery.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:41 PM
Hybrid Lover

Thanks Rich,

I hate to say this, because the dealer is in my backyard, and I don't really want to drive 20or 30 extra miles to get my FEH serviced, but I may have to start looking for another shop that better understands the vehicle.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Little Man Hybrid
Thanks Rich,

I hate to say this, because the dealer is in my backyard, and I don't really want to drive 20or 30 extra miles to get my FEH serviced, but I may have to start looking for another shop that better understands the vehicle.
The sad truth is, most of the inquisitive posters on the FEH/MMH GH website are more knowledgeable on hybrid technology than many Ford Dealers. So I wouldn’t fret too much about your neighboring dealer’s knowledge vs. the next dealer down the road. And most salesmen know even less.

Spend time educating yourself on your car’s technology so you can confidently challenge their mistaken remarks and advice when you KNOW they are wrong, but do it politely, not being boastful like you know everything. You’ll quickly gain their respect, they won’t try to snow you in the future, and IMO, you’ll all be the better for it.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

I am at 2850 miles in 4 and a half months, and when in parking lots I will also hear a squeak-squeak at each tire rotation.
I don't use the parking brake. Do you think that the parking break is my squeal?
Any suggestions?

Old 03-03-2008, 06:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

There is an easy way to find out. While driving at low speed, pull up on the parking brake until you can feel it "dragging" for a little. Then release it. This should unstick it if it is stuck and/or should rub off any debris/rust that might have built up. Most people find that pulling up on the brake every so often gets rid of the squeeks.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

I run in "L" all the time, and hardly use my disc brakes at all

Old 03-04-2008, 10:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

For the record the 2008 FEH do not have a hand activated parking brake. It is activated by a foot pedal. It is released by hand under the dash.

That being said it is a bit tricky to press and release while driving so do it ONLY going SLOWLY and in an open empty parking lot type of area.

Quick Reply: Tech Help Needed Please

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands