Stupid question time about plug-in hybrids

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 02:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Stupid question time about plug-in hybrids

Originally Posted by gerric
Thanks everyone for taking the time to explain something that has been very confusing to me.

I now understand that a plugin will not help a current FEH owner, unless it is converted because the battery, the programming and the run profile characteristics will need to change. (Starting on EV instead of ICE for example.)
The third party vendor (Hybrid-Plus) plug in conversions do not allow the vehicle to start in pure electric mode.
The orginal Ford designed system is maintained

It sounds a lot like the plugin hybrids may be an issue of battery-dependency
(The plugin -PHEV-hybrids are using the new lithium-ion battery composition)

Last edited by Pravus Prime; 08-14-2008 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Fixed Quotes
Old 08-21-2008, 10:16 PM
Enthusiast

Do you think the intro of a plugin Escape will kill the price of older Escapes? Unless of course, it becomes cheap to convert them!

Old 08-22-2008, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by ranger01
Do you think the intro of a plugin Escape will kill the price of older Escapes? Unless of course, it becomes cheap to convert them!
The older FEH/MMH are great investments because they continue to be the most fuel efficient SUV on the planet after 4 years now. If the price of the Plug-in FEH/MMH Lithium batteries goes up or down, we will always have a choice to convert or not. The electric cables, the hybrid cooling systems, Converters, HV battery compartment, the computer modules and most important the eCVT are very valuable components a gas Escape will never have.

Ford has designed and manufactured the FEH/MMH and has been selling them at a loss in profits. How long can Ford continue to build and sale vehicles at a loss? Ford can't supply the demand now that the public, Cities, Counties and Governments are requesting. The taxi fleets have already demonstrated the FEH is well built.

The smear job that has been holding the price of hybrids down is all but over now. I've had more people asking me in parking lots and at stoplights about my '09 FEHL than ever before. When people can't afford or wait for a new FEH/MMH, their going to look for used ones. The demand for used FEH/MMH has already been seem with the prices going up lately.

GaryG

Old 08-22-2008, 08:36 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks GaryG, good comments. One thing, like many folks, I wish that Ford had put out a little more risk and allowed higher SOC. Still, with they way things are going in the auto industry, guess one can't fault them too much for being conservative on a such a high dollar component, the battery!

I wonder about your comments about Ford losing money on the hybrids, which I don't dispute. I just wonder why prices dropped tho? MSR on 08's, here in Canada anyway, where lower than 07's? We were lucky in ours being a demo, thus with rebate et al, we really paid no 'hybrid premium.'

Old 08-22-2008, 09:05 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Originally Posted by ranger01
Does the production the the Corvette convertible lower the price of the Corvette?

All the Ford Hybrids are "Limited Editions".
Fewer than 20,000 are being built each year.

High Miles, and accident damage are the primary factors that lower value.
I don't think time in years old has much effect at all, if you find one with low miles.

My Honda Insight ( hybrid ) is 8 years old and holds 75% of it's retail value @ 75,000 miles. The Ford Escape Hybrid holds about 66% of retail value with the same miles.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by glennb
You have some more reading to do. Many of the "operators" of the grid will tell you that they currently have lots of excess capacity at night that is not being used. Thats exactly when I plan to plug mine in.
Yes, and according to EPRI many of those same "operators" are using that excess night time capacity to pump water (back) uphill so it can be used to help meet the PEAK demand at high noon the next day, if not locally then off in the distance somewhere, say to Los Angeles from central MT or WA.

Look back at the history of diesel fuel...Cheap..

Until enough folks converted and now diesel fuel sells for a price equal to its value to the consumer relative to gasoline.

Energy is energy....

Why would you expect the power from that wall plug to be cheaper or even greener than at the pump. As demand rises so will the price. If I were running our government I would begin TAXING the wall plug stuff to bring equality to the market.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:34 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Talking Re: Stupid question time about plug-in hybrids

Originally Posted by wwest
Energy is energy....

Why would you expect the power from that wall plug to be cheaper or even greener than at the pump. As demand rises so will the price.
Perhaps, but you and I can make our own electricity easier than our own gasoline.
Wind, solar, hydro, Mr. Fusion, if available.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:18 PM

Ford is now making a profit on the hybrid vehicles. See this link:
http://www.futurepundit.com/archives/004932.html

If I am not mistaken, Toyota started to make a profit on the Prius in 2006.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by glennb
You have some more reading to do. Many of the "operators" of the grid will tell you that they currently have lots of excess capacity at night that is not being used. Thats exactly when I plan to plug mine in.
So you have the capacity... but during those hours you will be feeding less fuel to the plant... plug in all the vehicles... and boom.. you are now pouring coal into your plants 24/7 instead of 12/7. It will increase powerplant emissions..... It should be less emissions overall if the plant and the transmission of the power is more efficient than an ICE... but its not free.

Old 08-23-2008, 05:49 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Stupid question time about plug-in hybrids

I don't see how our infrastructure could possibly handle 25 million or so more electric or partially electric cars being recharged on the current grid.
Think wider, more long-term. Not quarterly like our corporations do. PI-HEVs are just a near-term bridge, a portion of a long-term solution, that includes various technologies in vehicle propulsion and various technologies in centralized energy generation. That way you may never get to 25M PI-HEVs and no matter how many are produced....you would have alternatives to coal, etc. [It may take some government involvement, market forces may not be wait to turn a profit...too far ahead]

Quick Reply: Stupid question time about plug-in hybrids

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands