strong loud vibration in Escape

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 02:34 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: strong loud vibration in Escape and low mpg

Originally Posted by amariarandazzo
I also noticed that on the Menu it read that the car was on electric motor but then the rpm didn't drop down to EV. Is it suppose to? The helpful salesman at the Ford dealer told me it would. When this happened, you could not hear the gas engine, only the electric. Why wouldn't it drop down to EV in this state? Is it because its too cold out. (which it really is).

Thanks to all for puzzling it out for me.
Check that last part again.
The way you wrote is is puzzling to me.
Are you sure it didn't say something like "Electric System OK"?

Is there an actual "message" for when you are in electric only mode?
Last time I looked, there wasn't... but it's been a couple weeks since I looked! ( I do not own a 2008, but I know up to 2007 is the same as mine. )
-John

Old 01-31-2008, 07:29 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: strong loud vibration in Escape

Now I'm starting to question myself.

I'm pretty sure that there are three modes: engine, hybrid, and electric. These all appear in the Menu. But when its cold out, if it shows just the electric motor running the show, it doesn't drop down to EV on the dash. Is it suppose to? It still sits at 1000 rpm.

On your Menu, does it show where the energy is coming from? On mine, it is constantly shifting from motor to motor. Then charging the battery too. Its pretty cool actually. I usually leave it on that.

I think if you push the info button on the dash I get a 'system check' or something. Which I fear to push, sounds kind of final to me. But that isn't what you mentioned.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:36 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

You can do a "system check" as often as you wish. Every minute, if you like. This is when it will say "power steering ok, charging system ok, exterior lamps ok," etc. Mine always says everything is "ok" so it gets boring after the first couple of times. I don't even know why that "feature" is there??? I mean, the car will tell you the moment something is not ok. I guess to just re-assure early adopters?

Anyhow.

If you are talking about the color "cartoon" picture that shows the parts with power arrows... there are times when the battery is doing all the work to spin the wheels, but the engine is still spining too, and still burning gas at an idle speed ( ~1000-1300 rpm ), because everything is not hot yet.

This is normal.
-John

Old 01-31-2008, 09:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Alicia,

There are many reasons why the gas engine will not shut off even if you feel like you should be in EV only. My first thought is that you're running the heat on either of the defrost settings. This (just like running the AC on any mode other than Econ in the summer) will prevent the gas engine (ICE) from cutting off as it is needed to run the A/C compressor. The defrost uses the A/C compressor to remove moisture and prevent windshield fogging.

If you're in a very cold climate where you have to run the engine for heat, remember that you're getting 0 MPG during that time and it will dramatically reduce your FE. I'm not encouraging you to not heat yourself but you have to be aware of the FE impact.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:09 AM
Enthusiast

Okay, so even if the Menu says Electric Engine, but it doesn't drop down to EV, the gas engine is still running. Got it. But it happens even when I'm not running any air. I was curious, so I turned off the air for 10 minutes (the long johns helped). Maybe it is just too **** cold out.

Only when it drops to EV, then it is the Electric that is running. No gas.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:19 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: strong loud vibration in Escape and low mpg

Originally Posted by amariarandazzo

I also noticed that on the Menu it read that the car was on electric motor but then the rpm didn't drop down to EV. Is it suppose to?
Are you saying the engine would not go into electric mode ---via viewing the RPM gauge in which the values was above 0? If you are running the defroster the engine will not go into electric mode.

The helpful salesman at the Ford dealer told me it would.
I hate to remind you but most salestaff persons don't know squat in regards to the hybrid vehicle. I leaned a heck of a lot from this site opposed to the Ford Salestaff.

Ashland, Wisconsin is way up north. My family lives in Vilas County about 160 miles east of your location.

Thanks to all for puzzling it out for me.