"out-gassing" : still strong after a year of ownership

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 04:19 PM
Enthusiast
Default "out-gassing" : still strong after a year of ownership

Hi everyone,

I have had my Camry Hybrid for almost a year now and 15k miles. Have been loving pretty much every minute in it except one thing: any time it gets sunny/hot, when i get into the car, the "out-gassing" smell is still there. It seems like it hasn't really decreased a lot since we got it. I have done a lot of "airing" (leaving it out with open windows) but it hasn't really helped much. So, I have three questions for everyone:

1) have you noticed lower outgassing in your TCH since you got it (when?) or is it more or less the same
2) in your opinions, how does the level of "out-gassing" in your TCH compare to other new cars you have owned?
3) what do you recommend as solutions that would help this issue? (other than buying some cover up car smells, or airing)

Thank you all in advance.

Old 05-22-2007, 05:35 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: "out-gassing" : still strong after a year of ownership

never had this issue...

Old 05-22-2007, 06:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

What is "out-gassing"?

Old 05-22-2007, 06:32 PM
Enthusiast

ttp://www.cartalk.com/content/columns/Archive/2001/May/03.html

Old 05-22-2007, 06:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Thanks. Yes, I had that for awhile. My mother had a hard time riding it in because of her asthma. As for my past cars, I always thought that was dirt...maybe not? So far my windows are staying clean. I do notice that the carpets give off a TONE of fibers.

Old 05-23-2007, 05:53 AM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

I've had my TCH for 3 months now and have not noticed the out-gassing.

I have had cars in the past that did have issues.
2003 PT Cruiser (leather) & 2005 Honda Element (fabric) were REAL BAD. The windshield was always covered with a hazy film. A good cleaning would only last a few weeks.

My TCH has the leather seats. Do you think out-gasssing would be worse with fabric seats?

Old 05-24-2007, 05:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hadn't noticed anything (and had never heard of this) but we still have that "new car smell" after one year of ownership. Is the "new car smell" attributable to outgassing?

Old 05-24-2007, 09:21 AM
HSD Organic Interface

I've actually found this car to produce a lot less "new car haze" on the inside windshield than a lot of other new cars that I've had. I've had some that almost required weekly window cleaning over several months to keep it in check. My 2004 Sienna hazed the window for a couple of years, but the Camry has stayed relatively clean. At almost a year old, I can't remember when the last time I needed to clean the interior windshield.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:57 PM
Active Enthusiast
Talking Re: "out-gassing" : still strong after a year of ownership

Originally Posted by peter
Hi everyone,

I have had my Camry Hybrid for almost a year now and 15k miles. Have been loving pretty much every minute in it except one thing: any time it gets sunny/hot, when i get into the car, the "out-gassing" smell is still there. It seems like it hasn't really decreased a lot since we got it. I have done a lot of "airing" (leaving it out with open windows) but it hasn't really helped much.
Gee Peter, Do you think that it is just you? Have you tried Beano?

Old 05-24-2007, 01:38 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ormond
Gee Peter, Do you think that it is just you? Have you tried Beano?
I wish.
Anyone any solutions?
Someone in the Prius chat room said that he used an electric space heater for a few days to heat the interior up and speed the off-gassing process . He said it worked in his Prius. Anyone any thoughts on this?

Quick Reply: "out-gassing" : still strong after a year of ownership

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands