"Stop Safely Now"

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 03:41 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: "Stop Safely Now"

Originally Posted by MyPart
Did you ever replace the relays mentioned earlier?
No, but I will probably stop by Ford and pick-up a relay today.

GaryG - Is that all you have to do it take the old relay out and pop the new one in?

Old 02-07-2009, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Escape_from_Hanover
No, but I will probably stop by Ford and pick-up a relay today.

GaryG - Is that all you have to do it take the old relay out and pop the new one in?
That's it! If Ford says it's the throttle body, they are suspecting a fuel issue. Those five relays in a row can be pulled straight up to remove and you can't help from plugging the new one in right. The center relay is the injector relay and that was the first relay to go bad on my FEH. It would not hurt to have a spare relay to keep from being towed to a dealership. Keep the old injector relay until you confirm the problem is solved. If you still have the problem, replace the power sustain relay closes to the firewall with the old injector relay. The PCM relay is between the power sustain relay and injector relay and would be my next exchange if the problem is not solved. I had to replace all three relays in my '05 FEH to get it started three different times. The Tech gave me the spare relay I carry in my '05 FEH now and showed me how and where to start exchanging if I can't start my FEH again.

GaryG

Old 02-07-2009, 02:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
The Tech gave me the spare relay I carry in my '05 FEH now and showed me how and where to start exchanging if I can't start my FEH again.

GaryG
Gary, would you post the relay PN again? I had it at one time and can't find it now. Perhaps it could also be included in a sticky. Thanks.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by econoline
Gary, would you post the relay PN again? I had it at one time and can't find it now. Perhaps it could also be included in a sticky. Thanks.
Sorry Don, my son took my '05 FEH and I can't find the file or paperwork right now. We did post the part number here on GH but I didn't find the thread. I'm sure a call to a Ford parts department can solve the problem and also give us any price changes. I'm sure the common relay could also be bought at most auto stores also.

GaryG

Old 02-08-2009, 08:15 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The part number should be printed somewhere on the relay, should it not? You should be able to just go out and pull one and you should have it. After that, most auto parts places can cross reference the Ford number to their stock number. You may even be able to do this on their website.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by econoline
Okay, I found my '05 FEH file and the repair orders were in it. All three relays had the same PN, so that confirms there interchangeable.

F0AZ - 14N098 - A

The cost on the invoice was $12.12 each on 9/28/07

GaryG

Old 02-10-2009, 11:29 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: "Stop Safely Now"

Originally Posted by Mark E Smith
any update or new dtc's (diagnostic trouble codes)
The Dealership has been told to expect a visit from an Engineer from HQ someday this week.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:50 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

Wow thats serious, when they send out an engineer. My escape just got out of jail for the battery cooling door actuator. When I was looking at the data on my Modus I was stunned at the amount of info in the various modules, Hopefully it will act up with the Ford scanner and the engineer.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by glennb
The Dealership has been told to expect a visit from an Engineer from HQ someday this week.
From my understanding the Transmission Control Module can only be reflashed and not replaced. I'm wondering if the engineer is going to try to exchange the TCM and spare the cost of replacing the eCVT. After all, if the eCVT is bad on top of all the hours the dealership had with the engineers testing, Ford may need that bailout money after all.

GaryG

Old 02-16-2009, 10:49 AM
Enthusiast

Well, now I got the "stop safely now" message. Or, rather, my wife did.

2006 MMH, 33000 miles (ish)

She drove the family ~100 miles to Seattle, stopped at the grocery store, and it didn't start when she returned to the car. She got a "service soon" message and a "stop safely now" message, but no start. It didn't even turn over, although there was power to the radio (I heard it over the cellphone).

Took it to the dealer. Of note is that the car started right up when the tow truck driver got there in about an hour. The dealer calls this morning and says it's the... MECS pump. Having read the saga here, I called him back and asked how he diagnosed it. My thinking was that if he visually diagnosed it, it could indeed be the pump. If he used DTCs, then it may not be the coolant pump.

He says that his hybrid tech noticed from under the car that the coolant pump was not running in hybrid mode and it should be. His tech tapped it with a hammer and it started running. His tech called Ford, who referred to a service bulletin about this issue. The upshot is... replace the coolant pump.

Does that make sense to everyone. Sadly - and I mean that - my expectations for dealer service are in the basement. My default position now is that they don't know ****, won't listen to anyone, and it's about 50/50 that they will make things worse. Still, I try to have an open mind. Does his explanation make any sense?

Perhaps it could be that the electronics pump failed (the actual pump), causing the electronics coolant to overheat after the 100 mile drive, causing the computer to not allow it to start until it cooled... about an hour later when the tow truck driver came. After sitting over the weekend at the dealership it would start again, but the coolant pump wouldn't be running, which the tech could notice. This scenario seems plausible, but depends on the computer to disallow starting, throw a "service soon" and "stop safely now" message based on overheating of the electronics coolant. Does that happen? Or can you think of something else?

Could be the relays, of course, but that doesn't really jive with his "hit the MECS pump with a hammer and it ran" bit.

Arrgh.

Thanks

Quick Reply: "Stop Safely Now"

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands