"Stop Safely Now"

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 07:31 PM
Default Re: "Stop Safely Now"

Originally Posted by MrCrank
Really? I have only 80K miles. I'm going to go pick up the car in an hour and I'll ask them about it. Thanks.
I got into it with my Hybrid Tech when he claimed the battery fans were not covered under the hybrid component warranty. He quickly changed his mind and admitted they are. He also said the MECS pump was also covered under that warranty. This has been a Ford and Dealer Scam for years and still goes on today. Just threaten to go to the News Media with all the post here that have fought and got it covered.

Gary

Old 05-15-2014, 01:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FjordHybrid
There is no fluid pump for the battery cooling unless you consider the compressor the "pump."
Well, on the 2008 and earlier, the A/C does go back there to help cool (but that is part of the normal A/C system).

Old 06-02-2014, 12:56 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Everyone,
Another member of the SSN club here. I took my 2008 FEH (120,000 miles) into a dealership for the hybrid diagnostic, and here are the results:

121860 VERIFIED TRIANGLE LIGHT ON. SELF TEST VEHICLE FOUND SEVERAL CODES FOR VEHICLE, B1239 AIR FLOW DOOR DRIVER CIRCUIT FAILURE , FOUND TSB 7-25-12 FOR THAT CODE TO REPLACE MODE DOOR ACTUATOR FOR HYBRID BATTERY. BATTERY NOT GETTING PROPER AIR FLOW TO BE COOLED. ALSO HAS DTC P1AOC HYBRID POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE, ALSO TSB 9-8-9 TO REPLACE THROTTLE BODY. RECOMMEND MODE DOOR ACTUATOR AND THROTTLE BODY. NEXT TWO CODES ARE FOR BATTERY VOLTAGE LOW DTC P0A8D AND B1318. BATTERY TEST INDICATE LOW CHARGE ON BATTERY. ALSO RECOMMEND AIR FILTER FOR HYBRID BATTERY AS VERY DIRTY (LOCATED IN TRUNK AREA).

They're recommending I get the following done:

1) Blend door actuator ($40 for the part, $276 for labor)

2) Throttle body ($403 for the part, $207 for labor)

3) new battery ($120, didn't ask about labor)

4) new filters (i can do those myself)

Do the blend door and throttle body recommendations make sense given the codes? Is there any chance that replacing the battery will resolve any of these? In other words, should I get the battery replaced first?

Thanks!

Old 06-02-2014, 01:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

Mine coded numerous other DTCs besides the 12V battery code when my 08 FEH first experienced the SSN warning. I replaced only the 12V battery and never had another problem. I did eventually replace the blend door actuator and the MECS pump myself for under $200 months later just as preventative measures since the vehicle had close to 90k miles on it.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:09 PM
Enthusiast

Oh that's great to hear. Dumb question: is the 12v battery the same as the car battery (the kind that normal cars have) or is it something specific to hybrids? Is this something that the dudes at Autozone can help me install, or should I have a professional do it? Thanks so much!

Old 06-02-2014, 01:10 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bluesocks
Oh that's great to hear. Dumb question: is the 12v battery the same as the car battery (the kind that normal cars have) or is it something specific to hybrids? Is this something that the dudes at Autozone can help me install, or should I have a professional do it? Thanks so much!
It is a normal 12v battery.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:24 PM
Newbie Enthusiast

Here's my 2 cents:

1) The blend door should have been replaced in 2009 back when this problem was discovered. This problem will cause your hybrid battery pack (the big pack in the trunk) to overheat. You should ask the dealer to fix this for free.

2) I'm not aware of a TSB for the throttle body until you just mentioned it. Then I found this website. If this is the case, then you should ask the dealer to replace your throttle body for free. If this is not the case, you can ask them to clean it out first and see how it goes before replacing the whole thing. This problem will not cause your hybrid battery to overheat.

3) The new battery you're asking about ($120) is the front 12-volt under the hood, and it's just a regular battery that you can swap out for any brand in your local stores. Nothing special.

4) Changing the filters will be a good thing to do asap. The hybrid battery filter in the trunk will cause the battery to overheat.

Seems like your SSN problem is not related to the dreaded MECS pump. Good luck with the other issues. With your mileage, also check your warranty terms for the hybrid components, and make sure the dealer fixes or replaces anything that can be replaced under warranty right now.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevedebi
It is a normal 12v battery.
And you can just replace it yourself with some basic tools, or have your local mechanic do it to avoid stealership rape. I should add that my factory battery was just over 4yrs old when it needed replaced.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:08 PM
Enthusiast

for anyone who is looking for this info, here is what appears to be the info relating to the TSB 9-8-9:

Throttle Body: Customer Interest
Fuel System - Red Triangle Displayed/DTC P1A0C TSB 09-8-9 05/04/09 RED TRIANGLE ON AND STOP SAFELY NOW
MESSAGE - DTC P1A0C FORD:
2005-2009 Escape Hybrid MERCURY:
2006-2009 Mariner Hybrid ISSUE
Some 2005-2009 Escape Hybrid and 2006-2009 Mariner Hybrid vehicles may exhibit an intermittent Red Triangle On and Stop Safely Now message
displayed on the message center accompanied by a sudden RPM loss/no start symptom with a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P1A0C. Vehicles may
exhibit this symptom on the first start of the morning or after an extended idle. The symptom will clear on the next key cycle. ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition. SERVICE PROCEDURE For vehicles outside the new vehicle limited warranty, if diagnostics lead to replacing the throttle body you may use this procedure to clean the throttle
body as an alternative to replacing it. This procedure is not covered by the new vehicle limited warranty. NOTE THIS CLEANING PROCEDURE CAN ONLY BE USED ON NON-COATED THROTTLE BODIES. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 303-04C Removal and Installation - Throttle Body. 1. Remove the throttle body. 2. With the throttle body positioned to the side, open the throttle plate. 3. Using Motorcraft(R) Choke and Linkage Cleaner or equivalent, spray the throttle body plate and bore. 4. Using a suitable (nylon) brush, clean the edges of the throttle plate and the mating surface of the throttle bore to remove all carbon build up. 5. Reapply Motorcraft® Choke and Linkage Cleaner or equivalent and wipe clean with a lint-free cloth. 6. Remove old throttle body gasket and discard. Install a new throttle body gasket. 7. Install the throttle body.

http://workshop-manuals.com/ford/esc...yed/dtc_p1a0c/

Old 06-02-2014, 03:28 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by deprotinator
Here's my 2 cents:

1) The blend door should have been replaced in 2009 back when this problem was discovered. This problem will cause your hybrid battery pack (the big pack in the trunk) to overheat. You should ask the dealer to fix this for free.

2) I'm not aware of a TSB for the throttle body until you just mentioned it. Then I found this website. If this is the case, then you should ask the dealer to replace your throttle body for free. If this is not the case, you can ask them to clean it out first and see how it goes before replacing the whole thing. This problem will not cause your hybrid battery to overheat.
Thanks!

Re #1: Do you have a link to the 2009 thing you're referring to? Is it a recall?

re #2: I called Ford Customer Service, and they informed me that the NHTSA investigation referred to above applies to 2009+ models, and not 2008 (like mine). Good news for anyone who has a 2009, hopefully this info will be useful to someone here.

Thanks so much to everyone who replied. My plan of action is to replace the battery and the filters, hopefully the SSN won't happen after that. If it does, I'm calling around different shops in the area to get estimates for the blend door actuator and the throttle body issue. Thanks again everyone!

Quick Reply: "Stop Safely Now"

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands