Steering Wheel Buttons

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 05:12 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Steering Wheel Buttons

So what are the chances anything could happen for this? As the market leaders of the 08 FEH run, we got screwed unfairly. If they waited til 09, we would have no gripe. I just emailed Ford wondering why mine didnt (after I just saw an 08 with hardly any packages that had the buttons, while mine, fully loaded, has nothing). Now I see why. I want my wheel replaced by Ford for their screw up!!!

This is just the same thing as a recall. They owe us. It does have to do with safety

Old 01-08-2008, 05:38 PM
Enthusiast

Safety. One of my big points when I began contacting Ford last year about the lack of controls on the wheel.

You've taken the first step--contact and let it be known it is an option in demand (although by the fact they are now standard, they probably already know this). The trick is, they need to be pursuaded to make a product available to satisfy their customers who supported their sales and made a successful product launch....

Old 01-08-2008, 07:00 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

As much as I would like the audio controls on the wheel also, some of what I am reading is a little of a stretch!

If you want to talk about safety, remember that ford also had a front end design change which changed the 08feh from 3 stars to 4 stars in a frontal crash for the driver. If there were any plans to recall due to safety, I would say the older models should get the structual upgrade that mine has LONG before I get some buttons on my steering wheel!

Sean

Old 01-09-2008, 08:51 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aGDevil2k

This is just the same thing as a recall. They owe us. It does have to do with safety

Somehow, I think you'll have a hard time convincing Ford of that........

~John

Old 01-10-2008, 07:02 AM
Enthusiast

Maybe, but I feel Ford has taken value away from my car.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:33 AM

I tried to hold my "tongue" on this but can't...

Didn't prices go up on the '08s mid-late year? I'm sure there are a few on here that paid the higher price but didn't get the buttons. I do see where they have an argument against Ford as they got no benefit out of the price increase.

For the rest of the '08 owners that paid the original/lower price, I don't see what the issue is. Yes it would be nice to have a retrofit kit (and I've seen no official statement from Ford saying that there won't be). I for one have never had audio buttons on the wheel and won't be missing them. If I did want them, I'd probably look at getting an '09. Resale value on the '08s should be sky high since demand is high and supply is way low (except in CA).

As for this being a safety feature... Ford isn't making you change the radio settings and therefore isn't responsible for your inability to manage two task at once. If you don't feel safe changing the radio settings, turn it off before you move... stop expecting Ford to babysit you.

We should all be applauding Ford for improving their products and responding (timely) to customer wishes. At least some of the people paying the higher prices on the '08s are getting something for that money instead of just a straight price increase.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:22 PM
Enthusiast

Shesh...babysitting? I think you're missing the bigger picture.

Do I expect Ford to do something for free? Nope. Have I asked for that? Nope. I would like to see a retrofit available. Then, let the market decide if they want to pay for it or not. And I do not expect Ford to eagerly volunteer to do it because it will cost them money. Typical case of solving one problem and creating another.

And yes, I do believe data from the highway institute that suggests a great deal of accidents happen while people fiddling with the radio. I am equating this to airbags saving lives? Nope. Will little buttons on the wheel change the world? Not at all. But everything you can do to reduce driver distraction from the road is a positive.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:29 PM
Enthusiast

Shesh...babysitting? I think you're missing the bigger picture.

Do I expect Ford to do something for free? Nope. Have I asked for that? Nope. I would like to see a retrofit available. Then, let the market decide if they want to pay for it or not. And I do not expect Ford to eagerly volunteer to do it because it will cost them money. Typical case of solving one problem and creating another.

And yes, I do believe data from the highway institute that suggests a great deal of accidents happen while people fiddling with the radio. I am equating this to airbags saving lives? Nope. Will little buttons on the wheel change the world? Not at all. But everything you can do to reduce driver distraction from the road is a positive.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:19 AM

In a 2001 report to a US House of Representative subcommittee, the Executive Director of the NHTSA was quotes as saying, "The devices that are receiving NHTSA's main attention are cell phones, route navigation systems, on-board computers..." (ref:http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/nhtsa/annou...testimony.html)
The testimony does mention radio manipulation but mainly as a comparison reference to how much worse the other distractions are.

The word radio isn't even mentioned in this more recent CNN article (http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/04/20/dri...udy/index.html) regarding distractions. Neither did the NTTI 100 car study http://www.vtti.vt.edu/PDF/inattenti...Fact-Sheet.pdf

Why not focus our encouragement to Ford towards bluetooth/voice activated features (Sync maybe?) that would be more in line with the spirit of the NHTSA report and what other studies point out bigger driving hazards. Every little bit may help but I'd rather see auto manufacturers (especially the financially troubled ones) direct their safety resources where the biggest dangers are.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:14 PM
Enthusiast

That argument makes no sense. It would be nothing for Ford to do what you are saying, AND make retrofitting wheels w/ controls. So why are you so adamant? It makes no sense at all.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Buttons

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands