Steering Wheel Buttons

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 04:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Steering Wheel Buttons

Originally Posted by DavidH
I expect the whole cruise control design is different on the hybrid. Hybrid cruise must develop a call for torque signal, while the non-hybrid uses an cruise control actuator to position the throttle.
I don't know about the non-hybrid FE, but my Mustang as no actuator. The CC ties electronically into the EFI.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:29 AM
Enthusiast

Well, it looks like as of December the FEH and MMH are shipping with the redundant audio controls on the wheel. Let's see if we can find out what it costs for a retrofit.

I'll ask my dealer - maybe others can check too; I picked my car up on 1/3/08 - an 08 MMH - and would really have liked this option (I listen to an iPod through the Aux jack, and audio levels on Podcasts are all over the map, requiring constant **** twiddling). I'm betting it's prohibitively expensive, but it never hurts to ask...

Old 01-05-2008, 10:32 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bmisf
I'm betting it's prohibitively expensive, but it never hurts to ask...

Let us know what you find out....

Old 01-05-2008, 03:17 PM

I know someone (here?) checked out the controls on '08 Escape Limited, and reported that even the steering wheel is slightly different. If that is true, then could see it being in the hundreds of dollars.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:48 PM
Enthusiast

I had looked into the retrofit idea. I had been told:

1) the omission was an oversight
2) that Ford engineers designed the 'new' wheel (with audio) with a cruise circuitry NOT COMPATIBLE with early-built 08 hybrids

The only course at this point would be an aftermarket, or to hit Ford up to design a retrofit product for dissatified owners who got screwed for 'coming to the 2008 party early'. I think the podcast/volume issue mentioned here is a good one to help build a case.

I myself have found the audio **** on the Nav radio small and hard to control while the vehicle is moving. I would pay the bucks--as I plan(ned) to keep the vehicle for awhile.

Bottom line- collective voices need to be heard. Ford does nothing without getting hammered in mass. My suggestion-call your dealer and complain. Call and email Ford Customer Service and ask your opinion be forwarded to the Escape brand manager and development team. I try and find out a name, so stay tuned....

Old 01-08-2008, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by icebluemariner
I had looked into the retrofit idea. I had been told:

1) the omission was an oversight
2) that Ford engineers designed the 'new' wheel (with audio) with a cruise circuitry NOT COMPATIBLE with early-built 08 hybrids
Exactly who at Ford said it was an oversight or an error? I am just wondering because such an omission, if true, would be quite rare.

Of course the design needed to be different. There are more buttons so the steering wheel itself needed to be changed to accommodate them. Plus, there needs to be support for those additional buttons so the wiring harnesses and plugs need to change.

After an entire year, did you really expect nothing to change at all?

Old 01-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WaltPA
After an entire year, did you really expect nothing to change at all?
Walt - not quite sure what you're referring to here. The issue isn't a change form 2007-2008; the issue is the odd omission of the buttons in the early part of the run, and why Ford/Mercury decided to do that. Previous years had the buttons.

Icebluemariner - where did you get your informaiton? Does this mean that there was a change to the Nav system hardware mid-run?

Last edited by bmisf; 01-08-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:20 PM
2008 Escape Hybrid Owner

The clock spring also needs to support the additional wiring. But, my steering column and wheel look the same except for the missing buttons. Is there any steering wheel/steering column function that is unique or speciial to the hybrids?

Old 01-08-2008, 04:38 PM
Enthusiast

Let me clarify: The Job 1 of the new generation 2008 FEH/MMH did not have the redundant audio controls (rac). I have it on reliable information that there was no conscience decision to OMIT the RAC from the wheel, as they were part of the build on the gas version Escape Limited. This was brought to Ford's attention, and presto! They were planned and built as standard on all Job 2 FEH/MMH. So error/oversight...call it what you will, but it slipped through the cracks.

I did find it odd that not only could this have been an oversight, but that Ford would actually changed cruise control circuitry between builds between Jobs 1 and 2 for the same model year. It would have been more expected if we were talking about a 2009, but since MY2008 rollout in Feb 07, the omission was caught, went through enginerring and was announced in the November order guides.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:53 PM
Enthusiast

And the steering wheel housing for the 08 FEH/MMH is exactly the same. The base wheel (without audio controls) has the same characteristics, with the exception that the mold did not accomodate the audio control switch. A retro from a wheel without the switch to one with the switch could have been done, were it not for the change in the cruise circuitry....

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Buttons

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands