Starter trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 03:57 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Starter trouble?

Mark, Thanks for the clarification. I Really need to get the 08 FEH/MMH wiring diagrams. I've always had the factory manuals for previous cars. But this is quite a different animal. Just like modern airplanes, Fly/Drive by wire is how things are done. I've been working with computers and computer controls in weapon systems for the past 28 years, but when I used to fly my Cessna a lot, I participated in the annual inspection, and always ran my bare hand over the control cables throughout the fuselage. I trust computers, but I trust rock solid cables and connections just as much

If the IGN switch is nothing more than a momentary contact to start the firmware program (bootstrap), I'd love to see the source code for it, plus all the sub-programs that control/inhibit EV operation. Even a bubble chart would be interesting to read the Boolean decisions based on CHT, SoC, Batt Temp, CAT, Engine Time on, etc. What makes this guy behave the way it does, when it does?

But without documentation, my mental picture is of ignition switches in older cars

Old 02-21-2008, 10:53 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

I'd love to see the source code for it, plus all the sub-programs that control/inhibit EV operation. Even a bubble chart would be interesting to read the Boolean decisions based on CHT, SoC, Batt Temp, CAT, Engine Time on, etc. What makes this guy behave the way it does, when it does?
It would be mind boggling, and it is all very PROPRIETARY.

What kind of Cessna did you fly? Ive got over 400 hrs in a 182, sold it in 96 though.

You should see what happens when one little thing is wrong on start up, 7 to 9 codes are generated.

Last edited by Mark E Smith; 02-21-2008 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark E Smith
It would be mind boggling, and it is all very PROPRIETARY.

What kind of Cessna did you fly? Ive got over 400 hrs in a 182, sold it in 96 though.

You should see what happens when one little thing is wrong on start up, 7 to 9 codes are generated.
Mark, Yea, I realize the codes are proprietary, dang it! I deal with this all the time @ work, i.e. Proprietary, source control drwgs, Spec control drwgs, etc.

I flew mostly Cessna 172. My old plane was N6221E. Trouble with flying is the time it takes, and of course $$$. I quit flying and motorcycle riding the same year, thinking I was getting too old, but miss both

Old 02-21-2008, 11:15 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/N6221E.html

Just for grins, and remembrances. Do you ever forget the N number of the planes you fly allot?

Old 02-21-2008, 01:10 PM
'08 FEH owner

Thanks all! The trouble turned out to be a wiring problem...apparently two of the contacts weren't meeting properly. Lucky for me the glitch was replicated while the car was hooked up to the computer.

There's a tech at my local dealership that's got the hookup, apparently, with some hybrid-only tech in New York, working on their cab fleet...he's a friendly guy, so y'all let me know if you need me to mention any weirdo issues to him.

Mentioned to the dealer as well that my mother is looking for a used hybrid, partly due to the 6-month delay from the factory. We chatted, apparently the '09s are going into production in June. We'll see - I may buy one, and sell Mom my '08, although it remains to be seen whether I can bring myself to part with it.

In other dandy news, I took advice from another thread in the forum and am now the proud owner of a spiffy keyless entry on the driver side, which I mail ordered from teamfordparts.com on sale for a total of $82, incl. tax. Am very appreciative of the info, and have now updated the "keypad entry" thread with the relevant details...

Last edited by likelite; 02-21-2008 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark E Smith
http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/N6221E.html

Just for grins, and remembrances. Do you ever forget the N number of the planes you fly allot?
Oh no, can't forget the important stuff. Tail numbers and my US Army Service Number, are things that stick with you forever. My wife of 40 years still remembers my service # from putting it on letters affixed with a 5c stamp

Did you notice the ownership of N6221E -> 21 Echo Flying club Inc. I was President of the corp for 10 years. The plane is still housed at Bluelick Airport, 07KY, Bluelickaero.com. Click the Bluelick Flying Club Link, and the picture of the 2000 ft. grass strip at 800 ft AGL, taken by my wife, is straight ahead. But I'm off subject here, and this has nothing to do with Likelife's starter problem, that he announced is fixed. Horray! He mentioned that the wiring problem was too contacts not meeting properly.