Starter trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 07:54 PM
'08 FEH owner
Default Starter trouble?

Sorry if this has already been covered somewhere and I've missed it, but my 08 FEH is coming up on its first birthday and we have an appointment this week to have a pesky starter problem looked at. Increasingly frequently, I have to crank the key four or five times to get my baby - um, the car, turned over. It doesn't seem to make much difference what the temp is outside, although I've noticed the problem a bit more in colder weather.

I remember reading here a while ago that this was some sort of computer issue. I mentioned that to my dealer the last time the precious - ahem, my car - was in the shop, but no avail yet.

Anybody got thoughts? I'd love to get this taken care of under warranty...

(I should really hang out here more often! Just found all kinds of cool stuff tooling around on the message forums...)

Last edited by likelite; 02-18-2008 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Kinda don't like UBB code...
Old 02-18-2008, 10:13 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Re: Starter trouble?

You shouldn't have to "crank" it at all. Definately needs to be looked at by a FEH technician by the sounds of it.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:26 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

It should be under warranty. EVERYTHING is covered for the first 3 years, and 36,000 miles. Are you past that already???

Anyhow, since your car does not have a traditional "starter" it sounds like a fuel delivery system problem, but heck, I'm no where near it, so I'm only guessing. Does it run smooth once it gets started?

How about when the car shuts off and on for EV mode at stoplights?
Starting after EV mode, is no different than starting the first time of the day with the key.

I think you have some long-time owners really wondering!
Keep us posted. -John

Old 02-19-2008, 08:42 AM
'08 FEH owner

Car runs great once it starts, have no issues taking off from stoplights, etc. I really am drawing a blank as far as what's wrong with it - sometimes it really seems as though it's not going to start at all, requires five or six turns of the key, etc.

I just don't want to break something, just to start the car! This is the only issue I have with it, no other electrical problems or weirdo ghosts in the machine, etc.

It's not quite a year old yet. I'll let you know if my tech comes up with anything when I take the car in on Thursday.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

Might be as simple as the key ignition switch. Once it is started this is out of the loop so to speak.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

Ignition switch is certainly a candidate, although it sounds like the starter contact is making all the time if it's cranking but not starting. But there are probably multiple contacts in the switch assembly? Fuel delivery is another very distinct possiblity. Intermittent problems are hard to find.

An intermittent fuel cutoff inertia switch (shuts fuel pump off in a crash) would be another possibility. Good Luck, and we'll all be happy to hear the fix.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AllenF
Might be as simple as the key ignition switch
It cannot be this. The start contacts only have to be closed for a short length of time and once that elapses, the computer has its instruction to start the ICE. If the computer does not get this instruction, the engine would not turn at all.

Very likely a sensor or solenoid problem.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:03 AM
Lt. Green 06 FEH

You really dont "crank" anything or even engage the starter when you turn the key.
All I do is turn the key and let go, the computer should take over immediately

Old 02-20-2008, 02:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrCrank
It cannot be this. The start contacts only have to be closed for a short length of time and once that elapses, the computer has its instruction to start the ICE. If the computer does not get this instruction, the engine would not turn at all.

Very likely a sensor or solenoid problem.
Granted, a momentary contact is all that's required to instruct the computer to start the engine. However, since I don't have a wiring diagram, I have to assume (that gets you into trouble sometimes) that the IGN switch has several contacts that distribute 12VDC power to various circuits, like the Fuel Pump as an example. The ON position before start command has to be part of the IGN switch; otherwise, you'd never get fuel delivery. A flakey contact here would allow the engine to crank, but no fuel pump??

That's why I said that the IGN switch, even though the engine turns over, cannot be ruled out. But like you said, it could be several other things, but notwithstanding all the bells and whisles on cars today, when it comes to starting the ICE, it still requires fuel mist, spark, and both arriving at the proper time.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:42 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

the IGN switch has several contacts that distribute 12VDC power to various circuits, like the Fuel Pump as an example. The ON position before start command has to be part of the IGN switch; otherwise, you'd never get fuel delivery. A flakey contact here would allow the engine to crank, but no fuel pump
Yes and no. These are drive by wire cars, all of the powertrain systems are computer controlled. All you are doing by turning the ign switch to start is telling the PCM that you want to start the engine. Then the PCM does several tests in a fraction of a second an if those pass it will command the mg1 to turn the engine( the FEH dose not have a starter per se) and the ignition to turn on and the fuel pump to pressure up etc.

Quick Reply: Starter trouble?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands