Squeaking 06 FWD FEH rear end

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 08:02 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Squeaking 06 FWD FEH rear end

Originally Posted by WaltPA
While the hybrid's rear brakes are different from other Escapes/Mariners, I don't think they are all that different from other Ford vehicles which have rear disk brakes. Because of that, a "good" service advisor should know how they work. Which means, how the rear parking brakes and the rear pads interact.

I mean, I don't think our rear brake "systems" are all that different from that of, say, a Mustang GT.
Walt -

You are right, the brake components at the wheels are not different in concept/design from other vehicles....it is the how and when these components are engaged by the computer to stop the vehicle...that is different and that needs to be considered in diagnosing a noise problem.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:43 PM
Early Adopter
Default Re: Squeaking 06 FWD FEH rear end

Originally Posted by glennb
Walt -

You are right, the brake components at the wheels are not different in concept/design from other vehicles....it is the how and when these components are engaged by the computer to stop the vehicle...that is different and that needs to be considered in diagnosing a noise problem.
The parking brake in the FEH is of the "drum in hat" design which means there are separate, small brake shoes in a small drum around the wheel hub. The calipers are not engaged by the parking brake at all when you pull up on the handle. Since these are hidden from view the mechanic would need to pull the rotor to have a look for evidence of the parking brake sticking...

Old 01-18-2008, 09:39 PM
Enthusiast

I just bought a new 2008 Escape Hybrid. There is an intermittent squeak coming from the back of the car. The noise stops when I brake. The noise happens only in stop and go traffic, not on the freeway. It is a squeak and goes faster or slower depending upon the tire rotation. The car has less than 1500 miles on it. I brought it to the dealer but he says he can't do anything because he hasn't heard the squeak. Other than the squeak, which gets louder and more annoying as I drive, I love the car, get 30 mph. Any ideas? A friend says he thinks the rotors are warped, but the service guy says they don't show it.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

When you next hear the squeak, yank up really hard on the emergency brake, then let go.
I'll bet it will go away.

MM

Old 01-18-2008, 11:09 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks, but are you saying it still sticks on the 2008? I saw the earlier postings and figured it had been fixed by now.
Also, wouldn't I get a text "warning" that the brake was still on?

Old 01-19-2008, 07:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Sometimes the e-brake sticks or rubs on the rear drum/disc. If you pull up on the handle briefly while moving, it usually either unsticks it or the friction cleans any rust/residue off. Just pull it up a little bit (enough to make it drag a little) and drive slowly for 5-10 seconds and that should do it. Also, the brakes on the FEH/MMH tend to get noisy simply because the pads are used so little thanks to the regenerative braking.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:56 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

We had some brake noise for the first 3000 miles or so on my '08 FEH, especially when it was wet outside. Over time it just went away. I think this has to do with the new rotors and brake pads being at their thickest and the FEH's unique brake system

I wonder how to bed-in new pads on an FEH if you can't do controlled hard stops using only the brake pads (due to regen). Historically, I've seen a recommended mild-aggressive stop cycle. I've done this on all my non-FEH pad changes in the past and never had squeaking, vibration or any other issues. (ref:http://www.hawkperformance.com/motorsports/faqs.php#Q5

Old 01-19-2008, 09:31 AM
Enthusiast

I'm relatively sure that "my" 2008 FEH squeak is not related to the suspension, which seems fine.
It seems directly related to the rotation of the wheels (tires) once the car is in traffic. I don't hear it at high speeds on the freeway, and it stops completely when I come to a stop, even when it's been loud in traffic. It doesn't seem at all related to turns.

If it is the e brake would that be the case? Why would the e brake only cause this at lower speeds? I'm asking because my service guy has not heard the squeak, says he can't do anything until he hears the squeak, and seems to have no idea what to do about this, as if no one has come in with it before. If this is common, then why don't they seem to know about it? My service guy says he found something about an old problem
with drum brakes but FEHs now have disc brakes, so it doesn't apply.

I appreciate everybody's help-I'm very frustrated. It's a brand new car and I've been driving a loaner for several days now.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tim K
If you pull up on the handle briefly while moving, it usually either unsticks it or the friction cleans any rust/residue off. Just pull it up a little bit (enough to make it drag a little) and drive slowly for 5-10 seconds and that should do it..
The '08's have the parking brake on the floor where it should have been all along. I'm sure the procedure will work the same but before you try it, make sure you can step on the brake, pull on the brake release, and still maneuver the car safely.

Probably best to do this in an empty parking lot....if at all.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:18 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Squeaking 06 FWD FEH rear end

Chris, Babs -

From my experience, nine times out of ten, reports of speed dependant noise coming from the rear of the FEH have been solved by "adjusting" or heavy use of the emergency brake which is a drum brake design located inside the rear disc brake rotors.

FEH brake components, at the wheels, are not much different than those of a non-hybrid. All the regenerative (battery charging) magic occurs inside he eCVT.

If you want to put a heavy load on your foundation (regular) brakes, shift into "N" neutral and the computer diables all regenerative braking. Be safe.

Last edited by glennb; 01-19-2008 at 10:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Squeaking 06 FWD FEH rear end

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands