Squeaking 06 FWD FEH rear end

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 08:15 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Squeaking 06 FWD FEH rear end

Originally Posted by Tim K
Don't hold your breath. It will be back....
All I can say is mines held for 10,000 miles from when it got fixed at about 5,000. Truth is if they don't follow the rules and overtighten the bolts to high heaven instead of torquing them to spec, it might actually hold in the straigtened position.

Of course tomorrow mine might come back too.

Old 10-15-2006, 03:36 PM
Megageek

Originally Posted by martinp13
Are you guys ready for your Story of the Week?

I took mine in Wed because of the constant left-side creaking. Mostly low-speed, especially when turning and from a dead stop or braking. They called yesterday morning, said we don't hear it, come in and we'll ride with you. Cool. I get there, pile a couple of techs in, and confidently drive off, and... nothing. Not a peep, not a squeak, not a creak. I tried everything. :roll eyes: I looked at the receipt, and it said they didn't do anything at all to it. Yeh right... I had given them the new TSB number, but I doubt they had what they needed to do it. They obviously fixed SOMETHING, but I have no idea what. They'd already tried the re-centering thing and that didn't help.

So mine is happy right now. Hope everyone else's problems get fixed too!
I had the same thing happen to me 2 days before I was scheduled to have it looked at. It had stopped for about a week and then it came back. Of course I had cancelled the appointment. Now it's back with a vengeance and it's continuous! I need to get it in soon or I'll go crazy.

Old 10-16-2006, 08:58 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Thegreatescape
The TSB for the rear shock bushing was published today. It's #06-20-12.
Does anyone have any actual text on this TSB? I hope this fix actually works, my squeak is getting worse and worse, I can actually hear it going 65 MPH on the highway!

Old 10-16-2006, 09:01 AM

According to my service writer, it basically involves grinding out the hole in the mounting bracket and installing a larger bushing for the shock mount. Apparently this will eliminate the noise....or so thousands of Hybrid owners hope!

Old 10-16-2006, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by randykato
Usually the squeak from the rear at low speeds is the brakes. Try engaging the parking brake at low speeds and then release it - this will get rid of the squeak unless it's something else.
Wow, thanks for the suggestion!

I had a problem for the first time this morning while leaving my driveway, a squeak from the rear at very low speeds. It was about one squeak per tire rotation. It stopped squeaking as soon as I got a few blocks from my house (and started to travel faster), but reappeared again in the parking lot at work.

However, after reading your suggestion, I tried the parking brake trick, and it worked!

Old 10-24-2006, 11:36 AM
Active Enthusiast

Anyone get the tsb applied yet?

Old 10-24-2006, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by WaltPA
Wow, thanks for the suggestion!

I had a problem for the first time this morning while leaving my driveway, a squeak from the rear at very low speeds. It was about one squeak per tire rotation. It stopped squeaking as soon as I got a few blocks from my house (and started to travel faster), but reappeared again in the parking lot at work.

However, after reading your suggestion, I tried the parking brake trick, and it worked!
We had the squeak in a 2006 Ford Escape Limited (6 cyl.) we rented earlier this month. The parking brake trick put an end to it.

Incidentally, my FEH did have a rear end squeak (I described it early on in this thread) but it hasn't shown itself in months and I never did anything to sort it out. {shrug}

/I wrote this back in October 2006. Well, all of 2007, this problem has been back. We're up for 10k service and will have it looked at then.

Last edited by GeekGal; 08-10-2007 at 08:08 AM. Reason: update
Old 10-24-2006, 07:19 PM
Enthusiast
Post Re: Squeaking 06 FWD FEH rear end

Originally Posted by sirfergy
Anyone get the tsb applied yet?
I think I might if and when my service advisor ever calls me back. I think I will leave him a third message tomorrow. On the other hand, my squeak has morphed into a grinding sound, by that I mean it's lost that high pitch sound. Good? Bad? Who knows? Almost don't care anymore.

Old 10-26-2006, 01:30 PM
Megageek

Well, I ended up taking mine in because of a fairly major problem with the brakes (ABS warning light, brake warning light and "service brake system" message) They told me that "It's not unsafe to drive" in that condition, but I don't think I'll try it. They told me that they need to "put some grease on a terminal" and that will solve the problem. Of course they don't have the grease and MIGHT be able to get some tomorrow. What's even funnier is that they said the rear suspension squeak is being caused by the ABS problem (which only came up yesterday). I told them about the TSB but it appears they didn't even look for one. Why does it always have to be a battle with the service department?

Old 10-26-2006, 05:08 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tim K
Service writer called me today. The bushings are on backorder 1-2 weeks. He'll call me when they are in.
Tim, it's been a while since this post, have you heard from him or got this fixed already?

Quick Reply: Squeaking 06 FWD FEH rear end

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands