Show us your hitch!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 05:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Show us your hitch!!!!

Originally Posted by BobB
Purchased a Uhaul hitch (78278) for my 2008 FEH for $129.95 with free shipping, made by Valley, arrived this morning, installed in about 1 1/4 hours, did not remove spare, or loosen muffler or lift car, just used a creeper, used supplied wire to snake plates and bolts through rectangular slot in rear of frame, held hitch up on wood box and a rope to the receiver part to ceiling hook. Hitch sticks out 1 1/2 inches beyond bumper. Install was a piece of cake, even for a 71 year old.
Hey Bob,

That sounds like the hitch I was about to order for my '07 FEH:

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-H~V82211.htm?vehicleid=20079918

Did you have to enlarge the access holes in the vehicle frame to fish the bolts through?

Is it pretty low profile when looking at it from the rear, or does it hang below the bumper a lot?

Thanks for the info.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by econoline
Hey Bob,

That sounds like the hitch I was about to order for my '07 FEH:

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-H~V82211.htm?vehicleid=20079918

Did you have to enlarge the access holes in the vehicle frame to fish the bolts through?

Is it pretty low profile when looking at it from the rear, or does it hang below the bumper a lot?

Thanks for the info.
Unless they changed the '07s you don't have to enlarge any access holes... I never used them. I fished my bolts into the frame by putting them in from the end by the bumper.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:24 AM
Enthusiast

econoline
Did you have to enlarge the access holes in the vehicle frame to fish the bolts through? No

Is it pretty low profile when looking at it from the rear, or does it hang below the bumper a lot? 9/16 of an inch

Old 09-28-2008, 10:46 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Here is a picture of the valley hitch. I bought it from e-trailer for 149.95. You can get free shipping on orders over 150.00, so I added a 65 cent bolt feeder to the order.

The hitch is a little more visible than I was hoping, but I didn't want to cut into my painted bumper cover as some other models require. It also didn't stick out as much as the draw tight I looked at.

I don't have any plans to tow with the FEH, but I have a cargo and bike carrier that slides into the 2" receiver.

No drilling or modifying the frame. It's a little bit of a pia to hold it up till you start the bolts, two people would be easier.

Name:  DSCF2820.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  75.2 KB

Last edited by 08FEH; 09-28-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by 08FEH
Here is a picture of the valley hitch. I bought it from e-trailer for 149.95. You can get free shipping on orders over 150.00, so I added a 65 cent bolt feeder to the order.

The hitch is a little more visible than I was hoping, but I didn't want to cut into my painted bumper cover as some other models require. It also didn't stick out as much as the draw tight I looked at.

I don't have any plans to tow with the FEH, but I have a cargo and bike carrier that slides into the 2" receiver.

No drilling or modifying the frame. It's a little bit of a pia to hold it up till you start the bolts, two people would be easier.
Here's mine, same hitch, got it installed today. The local trailer shop had it for $160+tax and $45 to install. I helped on the install and it took 15 minutes on the lift and with an air wrench. No cutting, the installer just fished from the frame end as previously described. I could have done it all myself, but kind of glad it get it done so smoothly.

I too like the hitch, but it is a little more visible than I was hoping for. However, the profile of the hitch is constrained by the need to go around the spare tire. It doesn't extend out enough to bang a leg on.

Mine is going to be used for a bike rack that I just ordered.
http://www.bikerackshops.com/SRVERSA.html

Old 09-29-2008, 05:41 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Show us your hitch!!!!

I've been using this one:

http://www.yakima.com/racks/bike-rac.../holdup-2.aspx

........and the gate can open even with two bikes loaded. It can usually be found for 20 - 25% off MSRP.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by glennb
I've been using this one:

http://www.yakima.com/racks/bike-rac.../holdup-2.aspx

........and the gate can open even with two bikes loaded. It can usually be found for 20 - 25% off MSRP.
That's a great rack, similar to the Thule T2. My nephew worked at Yakima and I like their stuff. I had a special requirement in that I needed a rack that could carry touring bikes with pannier racks on the fork. Not many racks will accommodate touring bikes but I'm gambling that the Softride will. Otherwise it's the Thule Doubletrack.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:58 AM

Don or Sean

I replaced my temporary spare with a full size spare which hangs down further on my '09 FEHL. Do either of you know if it will be a problem with the Valley Hitch?

GaryG

Old 09-30-2008, 05:48 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
Don or Sean

I replaced my temporary spare with a full size spare which hangs down further on my '09 FEHL. Do either of you know if it will be a problem with the Valley Hitch?

GaryG
Since the hitch is for all Escapes, hybrid or not I think you should have room, assuming the non-Hybrids have a full size spare. As long as your spare still sits in the same spot, how far it hangs should not be a problem.

When I put my hitch on the instructions said to remove the spare, but since the space saver tire is so small it was not in the way.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by GaryG
Don or Sean

GaryG
Gary,

Before buying the Valley hitch I had confirmed with eTrailer.com and Valley that a full sized spare would fit.

I just went down to the garage and tried it for myself. The full size spare lifts right into place with no clearance issues at all. It may actually be easier with the hitch installed because you can prop the tire against the rear of the hitch when passing the cable through the wheel.

It should work perfectly for you provided your '09 is like my '07.

Don

Quick Reply: Show us your hitch!!!!

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands