Show us your hitch!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 06:49 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Show us your hitch!!!!

Originally Posted by smallen13
so i just got my hitch today from ups. i didn't have a lot of time, so i just unpacked it and checked everything out. my frame ends aren't open, and the spacers won't fit into any of the holes on the driver's side OR passenger side. the instructions say that's possible on the driver's side, but the passenger side should be ok. am i missing something?

my FEH is a 2006 and the hitch is a draw-tite class II 36420
I have to qualify this reply by saying I haven't installed a hitch on my FEH yet. But I have read some of the hitch installation instruction sheets online. From the instructions, it sounds like the vehicle frame is only accessible on the right (passenger) side, and that the access slot in the frame may have to be enlarged to allow the hitch hardware to pass through. Isn't that exactly what you are encountering?

I'm sure someone will reply soon who has actually installed this very hitch, so don't panic yet.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

so i just got my hitch today from ups. i didn't have a lot of time, so i just unpacked it and checked everything out. my frame ends aren't open, and the spacers won't fit into any of the holes on the driver's side OR passenger side. the instructions say that's possible on the driver's side, but the passenger side should be ok. am i missing something?

I have a 2008 but I think they are all alike relative to the rear frame. Your frame ends are open, they are just blocked by the rear bumper. The bumper leaves a narrow slot between the bottom of the frame end and the inside of the rear bumper structure. You will need to feed the bolts up through this slot into the inside of the frame rail. On mine there was plenty of room to feed the passenger side in but the driver side was too narrow and I had to spend a little time with a file to get another 1/8" or so clearance.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

Mine was a Hidden Hitch, Class III, but it was the BOLTS that went into the frame by cocking them sort of sideways, then pulling them back out with the wire that wrapped around the threads.

Yours may be different, but that put the head of the bolt inside the frame rail poking towards the middle.

It all happened much faster than I expected.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

smallen13

MY 2006 Escape Hybrid took a Drawtite 75281 with no sweat (except the obvious one of drawing the bolts through the holes), which involves either buying or fabricating bolt leaders. No drilling. Can't speak for the other model.

Hal

Old 06-20-2008, 05:59 AM
Enthusiast

i will have to look a little harder tonite and see if i can find an opening on the end of the frame. it looked to me like the bumper completely covered it, but perhaps i missed something. i'm sure i'll figure it out. once i get that hardware inside the frame, it doesn't look like any trouble at all to finish the job.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:03 AM

i will have to look a little harder tonite and see if i can find an opening on the end of the frame. it looked to me like the bumper completely covered it, but perhaps i missed something. i'm sure i'll figure it out. once i get that hardware inside the frame, it doesn't look like any trouble at all to finish the job.
I have an '06 and there definitely is an opening right at the end of the frame! Its how I got the bolts for mine on!

Old 06-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Default Full sized spare okay?

Has anyone experienced any interference with a full-sized spare tire and the usual FEH hitches (Hidden, Draw-Tite, Valley)? I would hope that all are designed to allow a full size tire to mount in the spare position.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:11 PM
Enthusiast

Good news... I got my hitch installed. I found the holes for the frame ends on both sides! I was looking in the wrong place before. Didn't realize they were behind the metal piece that goes across the car. Anyway, all the hardware fit thru those holes, so I didn't have to drill anything. It went pretty easily. It took me a hair under an hour to get it done.

My advice, if you're not He-Man, would be to have a friend there to help you hold it in place while you put the bolts thru the hitch holes. I managed to do it by myself, but I needed a box to set the other side on and a lot of energy to get it finagled into the right place. (I really just didn't want to have to re-snake that wire again after getting my first two bolts in place and THEN realizing i had to hold that hitch up there by myself.)

Anyway, it looks like it's going to work. It sticks out a little more than I'd prefer, but I think it's gonna do the job. Thanks for the reassurances that those holes were actually there; I really didn't want to do any drilling on my vehicle!

Old 06-21-2008, 09:16 AM

Hidden Hitch with connection to 12V battery.

rearsideviewwithplateblockedout.jpg?t=1214064692

Old 09-26-2008, 04:46 PM
Enthusiast

Purchased a Uhaul hitch (78278) for my 2008 FEH for $129.95 with free shipping, made by Valley, arrived this morning, installed in about 1 1/4 hours, did not remove spare, or loosen muffler or lift car, just used a creeper, used supplied wire to snake plates and bolts through rectangular slot in rear of frame, held hitch up on wood box and a rope to the receiver part to ceiling hook. Hitch sticks out 1 1/2 inches beyond bumper. Install was a piece of cake, even for a 71 year old.

Quick Reply: Show us your hitch!!!!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands