Should have listened to S.Keith. 😢

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2022, 03:47 AM
Enthusiast
Default Should have listened to S.Keith. 😢

Sooo… I’ve been losing sleep and beating myself up for the last 12hrs or so. Instead of listening to S.Keith and other articles I’ve read online, I proceeded with the disassembly of the HVB in my 2010 Mercury Mariner Hybrid.
It started out just being an exploration into what makes this thing run with the hopes of confirming that the battery back was good.
I had it down to the 2 battery trays, checked the cell(sticks)for voltage and load with the help of numerous videos and articles online.
All sticks looked good and were all reading similar to each other.
Using the thread on this site I made the charger and had it charged to 330v and was reading to go.

Upon assembly I was distracted by my excitement and my son and his RC car, and somehow connected the (pictured) connectors either to themselves or into the wrong one. Without knowing this at the time…
Fired car up, it started and ran but got the wrench light.
Ran Forscan and got codes
P0ABF-20 and -60
I instantly realized I f***ed something up and took the lids off to see anything obvious. Retraced my steps and found my connectors that I messed up. One harness went from the contacter to the disconnect and the other 2 went into the battery trays.
Connected them the way they are supposed to be, reassembled, fired up, ran Forscan and now I only have the -60 code and wrench light.

Now I realize I’m way over my head here and had no business cracking into this thing. I was playing with house money but now I’m emotionally invested.
I would rather not put a 2k battery in it, I may have to scrap it before doing that.
What are the chances of swapping in another Battery control module(mine pictured)from eBay? Are they all interchangeable?
I would even be ok breaking the battery down again and trying the internal battery circuit boards that can also be found on eBay, to give it a try.
Finally if I have to swap in a battery pack from a junkyard, will a pack from a 2008 work in a 2010? Can find plenty of 08’s by me but no 2010’s.

Sorry for the novel, but appreciate any advice given.
Thanks
John.

Old 05-12-2022, 05:33 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Should have listened to S.Keith. 😢

You at least tested all of your cells. In theory, 2010 is different from both 08 and 09 due to the cooling being cabin only now. Greentec sells 05-09 and 10-13 separate so most likely you need a newer battery module.

Double check with this guy on the year: https://www.ebay.com/itm/325134864382

Old 05-12-2022, 05:46 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ShadyEscape
You at least tested all of your cells. In theory, 2010 is different from both 08 and 09 due to the cooling being cabin only now. Greentec sells 05-09 and 10-13 separate so most likely you need a newer battery module.

Double check with this guy on the year: https://www.ebay.com/itm/325134864382
+1 on the eBay contact. Alex from Exclusively Hybrid. exclusivelyhybrid@gmail.com or (561) 299-0609.

Old 05-12-2022, 06:46 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks Shady Escape and GatorJ. I just emailed Alex to get clarification on his EBay listing.
I tested the cells prior to being a dumba** and not paying attention to how the connections near the module were connected.
Do you think I got lucky and only damaged the module and the battery cells are still ok?

Thanks again
John

Old 05-13-2022, 10:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

Haven't cracked open my unit but as a general rule, I always mark my connectors with a paint marker before disassembly to help avoid mistakes. Handy to have white and black in your toolkit.

Old 05-13-2022, 11:02 AM
Enthusiast

That’s a great idea… Hippo. Will be grabbing some to put in the tool box👍

Old 05-16-2022, 05:38 PM
Enthusiast

I wanted to give everyone an update. I purchased a used BCM off of eBay and installed. Started the vehicle and the P0ABF code is gone and now I have the P0AA7 code. I’m thinking this is due to the way I may have my charging pigtail ran. I may just remove that all together.
While waiting on the module to come in I watched a couple videos mainly one from a guy named Roland that had the similar issue as my original issue of car reviving high above 45-50 mph (mentioned in a previous thread).
Hollowed out both catalytic converters and the truck runs amazing. Had her up to 70 with no problems at all.

I wanted to thank you all for all your help an suggestions👍
John