Decision Time - should I stay or should I go?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 12:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Decision Time - should I stay or should I go?

The car before my FEH was a Subaru WRX and I always thought I'd get a Subaru Forester XT (turbo) after the FEH. Now Subaru has announced no more Forester turbo available past 2018. So I have less than a month to order one if I want it.

The FEH has 90k miles, no real issues, just a few random concerns over the years, like HV battery discharging, unintended acceleration, MECS pump replacement, but otherwise has been very reliable. I mostly enjoy driving it except for being underpowered on the highway.

Should I commit to keeping the FEH, or should I let it go (trade in) and get a Forester XT before they are gone forever? I guess I've kind of bonded with the FEH or I wouldn't be conflicted about the decision. I'm wondering how many more trouble free years the FEH has to offer.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:56 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Decision Time - should I stay or should I go?

I like Subarus and considered the Forester XT also. But I wasn't too excited about its not so great gas mileage and premium fuel requirement for max performance. Not exciting when premium gas is around $4/gallon now here. I think there will probably be another equivalent to the XT, but Subaru hasn't announced it yet.
What looks interesting to me is the new XV Crosstrek PHEV which will be available later this year. It should have halfway decent performance, plus better MPG than the FEH. Also the Mitsu Outlander PHEV will have a new ICE and more powerful battery packs.
Good luck!

Old 05-27-2018, 06:26 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Decision Time - should I stay or should I go?

I agree with D-mac on those choices. Lots of good hybrids coming out, and those two are the front-runners to replace my FEH. If Subaru made a Forester PHEV, I'd prefer the larger vehicle.