Is a Scangauge worthwhile if you have the NAV screen ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 10:13 AM
Active Enthusiast
Question Is a Scangauge worthwhile if you have the NAV screen ?

A newbie question, if I may : I have an '08 FEH with NAV, including the very nice Power Display with NAV. My question is : Would the addition of a ScanGauge II (or, other similar tool) give me enough additional info to justify the modest expense ? I realize that 'enough' is very subjective, but I'm curious if others have had the same question and made a decision based on something that I'm not aware of yet ?

Thanks, everyone..........Gary

Old 10-23-2009, 06:15 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Is a Scangauge worthwhile if you have the NAV screen ?

Get a Scanguage with the current version of 3.17. It provides information you will not find on the Ford Hybrid/Navigational display. You can grow into the many different scanguage features in the future. Many posters here use at least one. DashDAQ is an alternative but it is quite expensive compared to the scanguage.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks kindly. Kind of thought that would be the case. Looking to get one now....

Gary

Old 10-28-2009, 06:26 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

YES!!!

Use one in every car, hybrid or not!

Old 10-29-2009, 03:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

OK. Otherwise, how do you feel ?

Seriously, if you have specific reasons, that would be most helpful. Display of engine parameters, calculations of efficiency, diagnostics of system faults, other ?

Thanks,
Gary

Old 10-29-2009, 09:17 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by robingf
OK. Otherwise, how do you feel ?

Seriously, if you have specific reasons, that would be most helpful. Display of engine parameters, calculations of efficiency, diagnostics of system faults, other ?

Thanks,
Gary
Gary,

I have a 2008 with the Nav screen and I have a scangauge II. The thing that drove me to the scangauge was the desire to have the ability to know the engine water temperature. I wasnted to put a grille cover on in the winter to keep engine temperature warmer, but needed to know it was not getting too hot. The sacangauge solved that issue. But then there were many other benefits. For example, you can interactively see your actual MPG in a more accurate way than that on the NAV screen, and subsequently can adjust your driving habits to acheive greater MPG. There are several other ses for scangauge discussed on this site. Hope this helped.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yes , it does !! I also had similar thoughts on temperature....first vehicle I've ever owned that didn't have SOME indicator on the dask for that......quite an oversight by Ford.

I ordered a ScanGauge II from Amazon.com....less than the ones on eBay, & a much better price than my local AutoZone wanted, too. I should be 'well-gauged' in a week or less.

Thanks, all........
Gary

Old 11-01-2009, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by robingf
Yes , it does !! I also had similar thoughts on temperature....first vehicle I've ever owned that didn't have SOME indicator on the dask for that......quite an oversight by Ford.

I ordered a ScanGauge II from Amazon.com....less than the ones on eBay, & a much better price than my local AutoZone wanted, too. I should be 'well-gauged' in a week or less.

Thanks, all........
Gary
Keep in mind that the FEH does not have a water temperature guage - the temperature is estimated based on the cylinder head temperature. You can program the SG to show either, or both.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:51 AM
Enthusiast
Red face Re: Is a Scangauge worthwhile if you have the NAV screen ?

Originally Posted by Billyk
Get a Scanguage with the current version of 3.17. It provides information you will not find on the Ford Hybrid/Navigational display. You can grow into the many different scanguage features in the future. Many posters here use at least one. DashDAQ is an alternative but it is quite expensive compared to the scanguage.

Is the scan guage easy to install and where/how is it mounted in the vehicle? Thanks, Ron

Old 11-02-2009, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by 08Escaper
Is the scan guage easy to install and where/how is it mounted in the vehicle? Thanks, Ron
Quite simple. You plug in one end of the cord in the OBD II port and the other end is a telephone-style plug that goes into the SG II.

The unit comes with a velcro strip to attach it to the vehicle. As to where, that is a matter of personal choice. Mine is in front of the steering wheel on the right side; I find that it doesn't block any important indicator lights, and is easy to cross reference with the other guages. Many people just mount them on the dash.

BTW, you can use multiple SG II if you want; the OBD plugs will piggyback.