Scangauge For The FEH

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 04:34 PM
Default Re: Scangauge For The FEH

Just got my ScanGauge as I walked out the door from the USPS man. Ordered it Sat. (holiday), was mailed Tues. and got it on Fri., not bad service to me. The wife and I were headed on a 30 mile round trip so I open the box, pluged it in, wrapped the cord two times around the streering column and set it on the dash with provided velcro. This all took around 3 min..

Now I'm back home reporting to you and I will say I'll never be without a Scangauge in the future. Just the faction of the info I got will no doubt be helpful in getting the best FE I've ever gotten. For those that did not get the nav computer, you may want to consider the Scangauge. For those who already have the Nav computer like me, there are better readouts on everything including MPG your going to love. For instance, you get a digital readout from 0 to 9,999 MPG. At a stop, your at 0 mpg, in EV, your at 9,999mpg. You can hold the gas pedal at 45mph just right to get a reading of 70-85mpg. At this point, I don't have to report 60+mpg anymore, I can give you exactly what I'm reading whether its 71mpg or 150mpg. Coasting with the ICE on and the battery full, I was reading 350mpg at times.

The RPM readout will help me a numer of ways. The digital readouts give you exact numbers like 1025RPM's and so forth. This will be helpful with knowing when you can go EV when the tach reaches the right numbers, no more guessing where the needle is. In addition, you will know the right gas pedal angle to hold a steady speed to maintain just the right RPM's to save gas. Example, with the needle, you may vary 200 RPM's up and down wasting FE, the exact digital reading will help you see your increasing or decreasing to correct sooner for a steady speed.

The digital speedometer first of all told me the needle was 2mph higher at 35mph. Now I know at 37mph in EV, I'm really going 35mph. Now I can set the cruise in EV by the digital speedometer at the safest speed to avoid a unplained restart of the ICE.

Coolant temp. will also add those in both high and low heat for FE. It also will let you know of a problem sooner. When to expect to get into EV.

These four displays are on the screen at the same time for a quick glance. I need more time to check out many other readings but I did do a scan and the scangauge reported no trouble codes for my FEH.

The scangauge has a red backlight so you can see it at night great. I will most likely place it dirrectly in front of me on the dash closes to touching the windshield so I can watch the road at the same time with little eye movement.

GaryG

Old 12-30-2005, 09:18 PM
Technology Enthusiast

Great Gary, So you also wrapped the cord around the steering column twice. I did that and have it mounted on the center console just in front of the shift lever. I wear glasses which have a gradual increase in power towards the bottom for close viewing and having the scangauge on the dash was uncomfortable to see. Glad to hear someone else having one. I just love mine. I will be doing my first fill-up ( Well half tank fillup since I fill weekly) and the reading for this tank here in the cold north so far is 30.0 on the nose. It will go down a tad when I fillup in the morning..

Old 12-31-2005, 06:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
Now I'm back home reporting to you and I will say I'll never be without a Scangauge in the future. Just the faction of the info I got will no doubt be helpful in getting the best FE I've ever gotten.
Oh man are we in for it now.......

By the time you are done with this thing, your gas mileage will be so high you'll be at 9000 MTE and fuel will be running OUT if your tank....(Twilight Zone music comes into my mind about now).

So, is this dude over at Scangauge going to give you a kickback on every one of these you sell for him.....I'm thinking of picking up 2 of them.

Thanks for the info.

Happy New Year everyone.

Ray

Old 12-31-2005, 07:48 AM

Ray, I guess I got to excited and should have made a deal with them before I shot my mouth off. Anyway, if they make some bucks by helping me save some gas to just say no to NOPEC, good for them. Ron from Scangauge took his time to explain the product, they shipped it ASAP at no charge and they modified it for hybrids. Hope they do make millions because $129.95 is also a fair price IMO.

BTW, I was going to switch it off between my Exployer but I'm also going to buy another one for it now. If my wife can make me stand in line with her at Best Buy for 23 hours to buy two XBox 360's for my sons, two scangauges ordered over the internet feels like we are stealing something to her and I now.

GaryG

Old 12-31-2005, 07:55 AM
Technology Enthusiast

I was going to take mine out to see why a friends car's check engine light was on, but realized it would probably start reading their engine performance stats. Pretty selfish of me. I wonder if it can read the diagnostic code with the engine not running in that case?

Old 12-31-2005, 08:57 AM

Bill I would just plug it in and don't do a set-up and scan for codes. Even if you do a set-up you can always change it back to the FEH. It would be nice to hear that it found the problem and got repaired without a dealer if the car is out of warranty.

GaryG

Old 12-31-2005, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by GaryG
Hope they do make millions because $129.95 is also a fair price IMO.

If my wife can make me stand in line with her at Best Buy for 23 hours to buy two XBox 360's for my sons, two scangauges ordered over the internet feels like we are stealing something to her and I now.
I'm with you on the first point. Any company that makes a good product at a fair price deserves to be profitable. Let's not pump them too much so they don't jack up their prices (at least not until I get mine).

You got TWO Xbox 360's? No wonder Santa couldn't find one for me......I mean my 3 year old.

Old 12-31-2005, 02:24 PM

Ray, when word gets out they may be able to advertise more with the higher profits. Keeping the price down will kill competition so why get greety. If the company is public, or offers investment options, it might be a good idea to invest a little. Its pretty simple to operate, hookup and does so much. If you change your tire size or gear ratio, you can program it and change it to read your real speed even. Read the manual on this thing at their website scangauge.com.

As far as the XBox's, I know I wouldn't wait outside all night where you live. On Dec. 18, Best Buy got 58 premium and 2 core units in West Palm Beach. People were paying $100 for someone to stand in line for them. The next morning before Best Buy openned, A place in line went for $300 with only one taker, a 13yr old boy. It was crazy for people getting one. It only got down to about 70F that night so about 65 people partied all night long drinking and playing music. Some store employees were also in the line to resell them on EBay. We got lucky for the kids, but we were dead tired for three days.

GaryG

Old 12-31-2005, 07:11 PM

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:31 PM
Technology Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xcel
Hi Gary and WBruff

___Have either of you had to do any calibrating of the fuel consumption with the Scan Gauge to match your actuals yet? Compared to an actual tank fill anyway? I read in the manual a few months ago that you can or have to do this to match an individual ICE’s actual?__
I actually did that today. Scangauge said I used 5.9 gal and I put in 6.1 gallons. Could just be conditions at fillup. It is easy to adjust, when you go to the menu to fill you just move the indicated amount up or down with the appropriate key to match.
I fill up every saturday whether it needs it or not, just a force of habit having been stranded in the snow many years ago and nearly ran out of gas.

Quick Reply: Scangauge For The FEH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands