Roof Rack

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 08:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Roof Rack

Did you put any silicone or anything on the bolts to create a seal? I'd be concerned about water leakage.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:26 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I didn't put any washers. The factory put some kind of thread sealant on the bolts, so I assumed that was enough. Maybe if you want to be really careful you could put teflon plumbing tape on them.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:40 AM
Duc
Stock Sucks

Originally Posted by D-mac
I didn't put any washers. The factory put some kind of thread sealant on the bolts, so I assumed that was enough. Maybe if you want to be really careful you could put teflon plumbing tape on them.
I will put something under/around them, thanks for the info.
On a similar but different note last night we were caught in some SERIOUS rain and the driver side door leaked, not a lot but (maybe a shot glass) water came in none the less. Visibility was less than 5' past the hood, roads were flooded, and hail was in the mix so I am not upset a little got in.
Clif

Old 03-12-2007, 12:38 PM

Now that some of us have the roof racks removed, is there any measurable improvement in FE? I think I prefer the look without the rack, but I'd like to hear that it did something for fuel economy.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by econoline
Now that some of us have the roof racks removed, is there any measurable improvement in FE? I think I prefer the look without the rack, but I'd like to hear that it did something for fuel economy.
Don, I stayed out of this thread because the author was not addressing FE regarding the rack. My cross roof racks are still on because I feel that is not what takes away from FE IMO. Headwinds, rain, very cold weather, hot weather, stoplights and signs, and most important is driving habits and techniques are the biggest factors. Acceleration with such a heavy vehicle IMO is a killer of FE for the Atkinson 1-4, but you can take advantage of the weight with regen once you get moving. For this reason, I find the best way to get the FEH moving for FE is EV.

GaryG

Old 03-12-2007, 05:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by econoline
Now that some of us have the roof racks removed, is there any measurable improvement in FE?
Impossible to measure but one thing is for sure, it can't hurt.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:56 PM

Gary,
I'm surprised to hear that. Do you use them alot? Someone who seems to do everything humanly possible to maximize FE opts not to do something simple like remove the racks? I doubt there is a significant difference, but I'd have to say that the cross rails do offer wind resistance/drag and wind resistance/drag reduces FE. I took mine off as I've never used them, they take about 2 minutes to put on, and .001MPG extra is better than none.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Tim K
Gary,
I'm surprised to hear that. Do you use them alot? Someone who seems to do everything humanly possible to maximize FE opts not to do something simple like remove the racks? I doubt there is a significant difference, but I'd have to say that the cross rails do offer wind resistance/drag and wind resistance/drag reduces FE. I took mine off as I've never used them, they take about 2 minutes to put on, and .001MPG extra is better than none.
That's just it Tim, I don't do everything that's humanly possible to maximize FE. There comes a point when driving to slow, taking all the weight out of the vehicle and streamlining a brick does very little in comparison to using my head to get accross town. I'm the one honking my horn at people sitting at a green light, not turning left at a green light and getting in my way. Once you get this brick moving, keep it moving is how I do it.

Some of you don't have a clue how I drive, yet I keep trying to post my techniques. Most of the time I'm gliding way ahead of traffic and I know what's around me every second. Talk about safety, I feel I'm the most safety person on the road making sure all is clear ahead and behind me. All I do is take advantage of the road ahead and keep in EV whenever possible.

I've researched this vehicle, the patents and the manuals just as much as the next guy, but I learn something everyday.

The one thing I don't need to do is figure how someone else gets better mileage. If I need to start doing everything humanly possible to catch up, it's not worth my time or effort in life.

It's been warm in the 80F's here, and my AC must run to cool a fast charging battery as part of my techniques. I will be more than happy to post pictures of my SG and dash readings of a 45.7mpg tank, MTE and trip reading, but I did not do everything humanly possible to get there at any time.

Here they are!
Dash

214 MTE

Trip 373.1

Navi 46.4mpg

SG

Tank 45.7mpg

22 mph ave

14.5 hrs TTE

16.5 hrs used

319 miles TTE

367 trip

7.0 gallons TTE

8.0 gallons used

These are my present readings from my new SG fill-up that I posted a picture of my new SG and location.

Compare and please comment if you like. These figures are not my best, but they are what I have right now.

GaryG

Old 03-13-2007, 10:05 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

My factory roof rack plus a Yakima ski rack that clamps onto it will cut my FE 4-5 MPG at 65 MPH. Around town, no biggie. It's a pain since I ski 2-3 times a month... but yes, I take it all off between trips.

Just the factory rack... probably a cut of 0.5 MPG @ 65 MPH, 1 MPG @ 75.

If most of your driving is 60 MPH or below... no biggie to leave it on.
I think it looks like an SUV with the rack, and a wagon without....
-John

Old 03-14-2007, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by gpsman1
My factory roof rack plus a Yakima ski rack that clamps onto it will cut my FE 4-5 MPG at 65 MPH.

Just the factory rack... probably a cut of 0.5 MPG @ 65 MPH, 1 MPG @ 75.
Wow

Quick Reply: Roof Rack

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands