Roof Rack

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 07:06 PM
Duc
Stock Sucks
Default Roof Rack

I want to remove mine because we will never use it, I see some have done it.
Are there holes left in the roof and if yes then what did y'all do about them?
Clif

Old 03-08-2007, 07:29 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Roof Rack

I think that most people here who claim to have removed the roof racks (myself included) are only referring to the crossbars not the entire rack. Removing the rack itself will leave holes in your roof that would have to be repaired and painted.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:38 PM
Duc
Stock Sucks

My 07 does not have cross bars just the two that run the length of the roof. I would think the area is painted and would simply need a rubber washer and a chrome (or painted) shorter screw.
Clif

Old 03-08-2007, 11:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

After removing the crossbars, the remaining rails run front to back and shouldn't affect the aerodynamics of the FEH by more than a negligible amount. Removing the head rests seems like it would have about the same impact on gas mileage.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by AntoineWG
After removing the crossbars, the remaining rails run front to back and shouldn't affect the aerodynamics of the FEH by more than a negligible amount. Removing the head rests seems like it would have about the same impact on gas mileage.
With the huge front cross section and the nearly vertical windshield... I personally suspect the cross bars don't matter much either. The aerodymanics are dominated by the front end.

I've seen someone say that Ford puts them at the back of the slides in the beginning for MPG reasons. The real reason probably is to help them fit on the car carrier during shipping.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by AntoineWG
Removing the head rests seems like it would have about the same impact on gas mileage.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:22 AM
Duc
Stock Sucks

So I reread my original post:
"I want to remove mine because we will never use it, I see some have done it.
Are there holes left in the roof and if yes then what did y'all do about them?"
and I didn't see anything about mpg questions or concerns. I said I will never use it so why clean around it, it adds extra work to the wash process and has NO use to me.
I will pull of my headrests to see if it makes cleaning my roof any easier but I suspect it wont

Old 03-09-2007, 08:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Duc
I will pull of my headrests to see if it makes cleaning my roof any easier but I suspect it wont
LOL! They might work out as sponges. Side note: I took off my headrests for the backseat because they block my view so much, and I seldom have passengers in the back. I suppose the 10lbs removed will increase my MPG by about .0001!

Old 03-09-2007, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Duc
So I reread my original post:

and I didn't see anything about mpg questions or concerns. I said I will never use it so why clean around it, it adds extra work to the wash process and has NO use to me.
Try not to take it personally. Threads develop in a linear fashion each post feeding off the next. Often the comment is on the last post not the first. That's kind of the fun of it--to see where it leads.My comment was directed at the post immediately before it. At the time I even remembered that you'd never mentioned MPG so the good natured teasing and such wasn't even directed at you.In the winter I even take my X-bars off for snow removal. I put them back in the summer because to me it looks funny without them.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeeSter
I've seen someone say that Ford puts them at the back of the slides in the beginning for MPG reasons. The real reason probably is to help them fit on the car carrier during shipping.
Or it could have something to do with the optional moon roof...

And sorry about the gas mileage comments. It was 2:30am when I posted that.

Quick Reply: Roof Rack

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands