Required ICE start-up...pointless waste?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 12:27 PM
It is easy being green
Default Re: Required ICE start-up...pointless waste?

I have never cared that the ICE comes on during startup, by the time i get on the main road, its off. but i am with you geekgal, i got a good sized rock chip in my windshield less then 2 weeks after driving it home, that drives me crazy a year later. to me, that is my cars only flaw.

Old 06-21-2006, 04:43 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Only took a week for me to get my first bumper scrape from parking on the street in a major city. Painted bumper covers look so nice right up until they get scratched and dinged.

Old 06-21-2006, 04:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Bumpers.... doors... people are idiots and just don't care. I once ran across a parking lot to catch a cart that was headed straight for a bunch of cars.... The "lady" who had just finished using the car had just decided to point it in the general direction of the car corral and give it a big push and then just ignore the fact that it was on its way to hitting cars....."not my problem"...

I remember yelling..... "your a real class act miss."

Old 06-21-2006, 10:27 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Tim-

Nearly everyone shares your feelings when they are new owners. I know I did.
With experience, you will learn to see the wisdom of the Ford Engineers.

This is a VERY well built machine, and details that you may not be aware of have to be considered.

Overall, the 30 seconds of mandatory start-up are for your, and the car's benefit. It helps in the long run, it's not a waste. ( 99% of the time )

Yes, there are times I would like to just pull out of the garage to wash it, etc.
EV over-ride would be nice in these cases... but in the grand scheme of things, it's a small deal.

Also, with extensive research, I've found plugging in your Hybrid Escape at night would:
A: cost more money to you
B: pollute the environment more
C: wear out your battery about 4x faster
D: provide no net benefit

TRUST ME.

The first week I had mine, I was ready to hack in a charger... I even have industrial solar panels. It's just a bad idea all around. But one we all have.

Ford built a very good machine. It's gonna be difficult to improve this mousetrap as the saying goes. What you can do is change the way you drive it. With no mechanical modifications, just driver skill, 54 MPG tanks in the city, and 42 MPG tanks over the highway can be yours.

Cruise this group for many great tips, that require $0 investment, and will save you, and the environment tons.

Cheers,
-John