Repair or replace windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 08:33 AM
Enthusiast
Default Repair or replace windshield?

I know this is not exactly a hybrid question.....
I have a two month old 2012 Ford Escape Hybrid which has a star shaped stone chip that is between the size of a quarter and a 50-cent piece. My insurance company gave me the option of a resin repair or replacing the windshield. Both the insurance rep and the glass repair technician suggested I try the resin repair first because they said that there could be issues with replacing the windshield, e.g., removing the old one might scratch the paint in the vicinity of the glass, breaking the factory seal, ensuring that the new windshield is glued properly in place to assure structural integrity and avoid leaks, etc. I tried the resin repair and although it worked structurally (the cracks of the star aren't spreading), the star pattern is still very visible and refracts sunlight in certain conditions. Fortunately the chip is outside the field of vision and outside the windshield wiper pattern. The glass company & insurance company gave me the option of getting a new windshield if I didn't like the repair. My question is: should I have the windshield replaced and run whatever risks there might be as a result of the replacement?

Old 06-04-2012, 09:35 AM
Default Re: Repair or replace windshield?

Originally Posted by Cameracarl
I know this is not exactly a hybrid question.....
I have a two month old 2012 Ford Escape Hybrid which has a star shaped stone chip that is between the size of a quarter and a 50-cent piece. My insurance company gave me the option of a resin repair or replacing the windshield. Both the insurance rep and the glass repair technician suggested I try the resin repair first because they said that there could be issues with replacing the windshield, e.g., removing the old one might scratch the paint in the vicinity of the glass, breaking the factory seal, ensuring that the new windshield is glued properly in place to assure structural integrity and avoid leaks, etc. I tried the resin repair and although it worked structurally (the cracks of the star aren't spreading), the star pattern is still very visible and refracts sunlight in certain conditions. Fortunately the chip is outside the field of vision and outside the windshield wiper pattern. The glass company & insurance company gave me the option of getting a new windshield if I didn't like the repair. My question is: should I have the windshield replaced and run whatever risks there might be as a result of the replacement?
If the crack can be seen, your resale value is decreased. If there is paint or seal problems after changing the glass, repairs should also be covered at no charge. These types of claims should not effect your rates. I would have the glass replaced if it was my new vehicle.

GaryG

Old 06-04-2012, 10:01 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I've had the glass replaced on my '08 FEH (within 6 hours of it being cracked by road debris) and have not experience any paint or water seal issues. The glass repair company changed out the glass while the vehicle was in parking garage even.

I just don't see any credibility in the arguments the insurance company gave since the windshield can obviously be replaced quickly and without paint or seal issues when done by a properly trained/equipped technician.

P.S. I believe the FEH originally had glass with special sound deadening properties. My insurance company specifically asked about that during my initial claim call and my current windshield says something like "Soundmaster" which I assume has similar noise reduction properties.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have had several windshields replaced, including on both of my Ford Escapes, and have never had a leak or paint damaged. Last year I found a very small star, the size of a dime, and had it repaired with resin (instead of replacing the windshield) on my FEH because I discovered within a month of changing insurance carriers and didn't want to file a claim so soon. The repair has held up OK, but I can see it. If I were you, I'd get a new windshield.

Last edited by GatorJ; 06-04-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Enthusiast

When I had my windshield replaced in my 06, the technician did scrape the paint under the window when he put his tool in to separate the window from the sealant. But he said it is nearly impossible to not scratch the paint. "your scrapping the sealant off metal" This is under the window and not visible once the window is in place. He said good companies will use a primer to seal the scratches before putting the sealer/window back on to prevent rust.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks, all. I've decided to get the windshield replaced with a Carlite Soundscreen windshield.