Remote Starter

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 09:25 AM
Enthusiast
Default Remote Starter

Greetings FEH owners. I am currently negotiating a deal on a FEH and hope to be joining the ranks of hybrid owners very soon. I have been reading many of the postings here and have found them to be very helpful. My question is this: Is it possible to have a remote starter installed on the FEH? I had one 2 vehicles ago and really missed it on my last one. Hoping to throw it in to the final deal. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-28-2006, 11:01 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Remote Starter

One thing to consider is that starting it remotely and letting it idle is going to waste alot of fuel and most recommendations are to begin driving immediately after starting the engine. The most inefficient thing this vehicle can do is run the engine at idle. For example, when I dropped off my Mariner at the dealer today (body work only) it showed 343 miles to empty. When they brought it out they left it idling with the AC on for a couple of minutes. Upon getting into the vehicle the readout was 305 miles to empty.

If you are concerned with having a cold interior, well I'd opt for the heated seats instead.

Last edited by Tim K; 06-28-2006 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:52 PM
Enthusiast

Wow, Tim, that was quite a significant drop in remaining miles for such a short time. Very interesting. In my part of the country, however, it would be necessary to allow the engine to idle for a short time in order to clear the windshields on a frosty morning. Yes, the heated seats would be a nice option here as well. Do you know if that's something that would have to be done at the factory or if the dealer could do it? Regarding the remote starter, I'm wondering if it's even possible to install one on the FEH. After my original post I did find a few older posts here where people complained of being unable to find a dealer to do it.

Thanks for your response.
ML

Old 06-28-2006, 03:30 PM
Enthusiast

I was at CES (Consumer Electronics Show) in January. I stopped at the Astro-Start booth and asked if they had a Remote Start that could be installed on the FEH. I was told yes, and he knew of at least one FEH that had a remote start installed.

I did not follow up to verify if and what it would take to install.

Try finding an Astroflex dealer
http://astroflex.findlocation.com/search.aspx

or visit the Astro Start website
www.astrostart.com

Even though I have installed a remote start on a non-hybrid vehicle, I would only have a certified dealer(AstroFlex) install it in a hybrid.

Let me know what you find out.

Old 06-28-2006, 06:33 PM
Enthusiast

HI Scott..thanks for the suggestion. Actually there is an Astro Start dealer very close to where I live. However, I had been under the impression over the past few years that having a remote starter installed at somewhere other than the dealership could nullify the warranty if you ran into electrical problems down the road. So I was thinking along the lines of having them ( dealer) install it. I'm trying to come up with a freebie or two to get him to throw in and thought this would be a good one....if not this maybe the cargo cover....parts department quoted me close to $200 for it, though...hadn't thought it would be worth that much. Was reading a thread here about the keypad. Actually that would be great, too.

Old 06-28-2006, 08:34 PM

If you are looking for "add-ons" the two things I want are the temp/compass mirror and the automatic headlights (not daytime running lights but the kind that come on when it gets dark.)

Old 06-29-2006, 04:20 AM
PML
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tim K
If you are looking for "add-ons" the two things I want are the temp/compass mirror and the automatic headlights (not daytime running lights but the kind that come on when it gets dark.)
Me too - I would like those - the mirror is about 400 bucks (even though the Mariner comes with a automatic dimming mirror - but to get a easy reading compass and temp guage in it - its 400 bucks plus close to 200 dealer installation - you might think on a 32,000 auto, it would be standard

PHIL

Old 06-29-2006, 09:16 AM
Enthusiast

My 2001 FE I had the "Dealer" install my remote start. I later found out that the dealership sent my FE out somewhere to have it installed. You may check with your dealer and see if they do the installation, or send it out as well.

Old 06-29-2006, 01:13 PM
Enthusiast

I have called 2 dealership service depts. Neither knew if one could be installed but are checking it out. Chances are I'll have my vehicle before they find out. With so much uncertainty, I'm thinking I can live without it. I've decided to go for the cargo concealer or whatever you call it, instead. I don't really like the fact that anyone can look in the vehicle and see what I have stowed there. Hopefully, if all goes well, the paperwork will be done tomorrow and I'll pick up the vehicle next week. Then I'll really be devouring all the great info on this site. Can't wait!

Old 06-29-2006, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Maritime Linda
I have called 2 dealership service depts. Neither knew if one could be installed but are checking it out. Chances are I'll have my vehicle before they find out. With so much uncertainty, I'm thinking I can live without it. I've decided to go for the cargo concealer or whatever you call it, instead. I don't really like the fact that anyone can look in the vehicle and see what I have stowed there. Hopefully, if all goes well, the paperwork will be done tomorrow and I'll pick up the vehicle next week. Then I'll really be devouring all the great info on this site. Can't wait!
Linda,

Also you might find that you don't need the remote start on this vehicle as often as your older ones if you find the MPG hit is bad. I find the defroster gets REALLY HOT REALLY FAST. Of course you'd still have to scrape the outside but at least it won't fog up on the inside even if you take off quickly without a full warmup. The vehicle itself doesn't need much of a warm up if at all.

Quick Reply: Remote Starter

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands