Reliability Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 06:50 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Reliability Question

OK, got it and thanks. I'll check with my local dealer and see what happens.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:49 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

U-joints go bad. Is yours on the drive shaft to the rear axle or one of the two that goes to the front wheels? In the rear axle case a u-joint is an easy replacement and does not call for replacement of the drive shaft. In the case of the front wheels it is integral to the drive half shaft.
Door replacement is not hard, dumb for Ford to not warranty it since it is a direct part of the hybrid system.
The MECP is a completely new design. The old one was intermittent run, the new one is not. I replaced mine at just over 50k miles pre-emptively. It is not difficult to do at home for the cost of the pump. There's a bunch of posts on this.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:44 AM
Enthusiast

Hi Steve,

So you said that you took it to your mechanic and he said that the Mode Door Actuator was not covered? I had the same issue and I took my '07 MMH to a Ford Service Center and they replaced it under warantee. What is funny is that it is classified as part of the climate control system, but it is specifically for the HV battery which is part of the hybrid system. IMO, looking at the parts list for a standard FEH and hybrid FEH, any additional parts to the hybrid is specifically there for the hybrid and should be covered under the 100,000 mile 8 year hybrid warantee.

I'm having the same vibration and I can actually feel the ujoint catching at low, costing, speeds and definately at high speed costing. Using the Scangauge II with the % Rear Wheel Drive I found that this occurs whenever the % Rear Wheel Drive is at 0.0 which makes sense. I'm taking it in today to have it looked at. My fear was that it might be the eCVT.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Drive shaft U-Joints are replaceable! I just did on my FEH because of a vibration. Feels like driving on a road with 1/4" high ridges spaced an inch apart...

The dealer that told you they weren't replaceable lied. The procedure is in the FEH Shop manual.

MECS pump: I repaced mine at about 50k miles on spec since I'd seen much about this early design pump. There are extensive posts on it.

Mode door actuator: this is hybrid unique part, it wouldn't be there without the hybrid system. Pitch a fit with Ford.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:13 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I'm 99% sure my air door for the battery pack is stuck closed.
The A/C runs frequently, the pack is above the requisite 86 degrees frequently, and the A/C runs when OAT is 60 degrees or even a little cooler.

No codes or error messages. Without a scan-gauge to monitor pack temperature, this would be almost invisible to the driver.

I'm going to put a washer on a kite string and put the washer on top of the air door. Then drive around for a few days. If the washer never falls in, I have successfully proven the air door never opens.

It should not be called a "blend door" since it has only 2 positions that I am aware of. Open, and closed. The air duct for the front cabin is a true blend door that is variable position to adjust temperature to the cabin.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:05 PM
Active Enthusiast
Unhappy Re: Reliability Question

Originally Posted by turbotaguy
My extended warranty is through Ford (Premium Care). It was around $1100 for 4 years/48k miles from the date of purchased (my 07 had 35k on it or so when I bought it). I would never even consider a non-OEM warranty because of all the scams. You can search for the best price of a Ford Extended Warranty online - then take that to your local dealer and they will usually match it. That is what I did. The drive shaft replacement and some front end suspension work already paid for most of the $1100 that I spent on the warranty.
Got a bit of a shock yesterday. I checked with the local dealer where I'm working in lower Alabama. They only offered one extended warranty package for my FEH. $2330 for 18 months or 18,000 miles. A little ridiculous, to say the least. The advisor said it was because of the mileage (I'm just under 95,000 now) and the fact that it's a hybrid. I guess I'll keep looking and also keep the maintenance up. Anyone found better prices in the SE?