"Recall" on 2005 - 2007 FEH and 2006 - 2007 MMH

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 03:30 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: "Recall" on 2005 - 2007 FEH and 2006 - 2007 MMH

Bill, I don't think it is the same thing, but who knows for sure?
Thanks for sharing, and yes, something minor can bring a whole system down, which is most likely to happen in all our cars... and the "minor" things are so huge in number, they are hard to track down.
-John

Old 11-02-2007, 06:58 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pianored1
I have a MMH 07 and got the letter (in VT) last month. Just had the work done and it was no biggie, although the first dealer I contacted (where I purchased the car) begged off from doing it because they didn't have the proper shop equipment yet--something dealing with a hoist (for removing the battery) and a wooden bench and liability issues. The second dealer (who performed the recall) said the first was speaking with forked tongue.
The first shouldn't have ever sold the vehicle. If they wan't to be called a hybrid dealer they should have the equipment to service the dang things

Old 11-24-2007, 02:36 AM
Early Adopter

Originally Posted by Billyk
Here is a link on why Ford is replacing this item inside the Hybrid Battery. http://www.hybridcars.com/technology...ent-costs.html

This article doesn't mention Ford but details problems some Toyota owners have had with their HV battery going south.
My suspicion is that this is related to the Service Campaign Toyota did on "classic" Prius some time ago. We received a notice and had the work done, it involved re-sealing the tops of the HV battery cells. Like the FEH service, the battery had to be removed from the vehicle to complete the work.

I'm wondering if the people reporting problems either did not receive the notice or the dealer who did the work didn't get it right, since the symptom (corroded battery connections) is exactly what the service campaign was intended to address.

I do have one further update on my experience, as a result of the recall service I requested a new rear carpet for my FEH as the anchor strip forward of the battery was totally loose. I finally received the new carpet and it's of a different design than the original 2005 carpet, and seems more rigid so I'm hoping it's less likely to creep out of place. There is a TSB on the carpet for those having issues with it, btw.

As far as performance goes, I'm not seeing any significant change in fuel economy since the update but now that it's being mentioned the ICE startup/shutdown does seem somewhat smoother to me...but it may be my imagination too. These things are so subjective...

FWIW my 3/36 warranty expired on the 19th, so I'm on my own nickel at this point if any non-hybrid problems come up.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:20 AM
Enthusiast

Hi all,

I know it has been awhile since there were any posts here, but I need help!!! My battery cables to the hybrid battery need to be replaced because of corrosion. There is only 75000 mles on the car and this should not be happening. I called Ford and they said that are no recalls for my 2005 Ecsape Hybrid, but this post makes me think that they were wrong. Could this battery harness part be the reason why my battery cables need to be replaced?? It is going to cost me ALOT of money so I want to make sure that I need to pay and not Ford.

Thanks all,
Jill

Old 12-04-2008, 10:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

All "Hybrid Unique Parts" are under warranty for I think 8 years or 100,000 miles... neither of which have expired for you.

The jumper they installed did have something to do with preventing some corrosion problem as I recall.

You are talking about the 330v hybrid battery in the back... not the 12v normal car battery up front, right?

Regards,
Tim

Old 12-04-2008, 04:35 PM
Enthusiast

Yes, the battery cables that are being replaced are the positive and negative cables that attach to the hybrid battery. They said that they have corrosion and that is what is causeing my problem. How would I go about having this covered under the warranty. If it is a "Hybrid Unique Part"??

Jill :-)

Old 12-04-2008, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by jillybean77
Hi all,

I know it has been awhile since there were any posts here, but I need help!!! My battery cables to the hybrid battery need to be replaced because of corrosion. There is only 75000 mles on the car and this should not be happening. I called Ford and they said that are no recalls for my 2005 Ecsape Hybrid, but this post makes me think that they were wrong. Could this battery harness part be the reason why my battery cables need to be replaced?? It is going to cost me ALOT of money so I want to make sure that I need to pay and not Ford.

Thanks all,
Jill

Jill, who is telling you this? No one can or should open the hybrid battery pack without realizing doing so can KILL THEM. There is 330 volts in this hybrid battery pack. Furthermore, no one is going to open this steel case, take a look and then close it back up. Furthermore, like a previous posted state, the hybrid battery pack is still under OEM coverage. Some one is trying to "screw" you. Who is it?

Old 12-04-2008, 04:55 PM
Enthusiast

Hi,

The Ford dealer is who told me this information and they are currently fixing the cables. They told me they are the cables that connect to the hybrid battery, but then told me that I need a new 12 volt battery as well. I am getting charged ALOT of money so I am looking for an answer as to why my battery cables would have this problem:-( Any ideas??

Old 12-04-2008, 05:37 PM

August 2007 Ford Motor Company issued a recall on all(?) 2005-2007 hybrid vehicles to replace what you are referring to. There was this recall:

TSB No.:0748NHTSA No.:10023255TSB Date:August 22, 2007Date Added to File:November 6, 2007Failing Component:
Electrical SystemSummary:
Service harness installation - corrosion of a resistor in the battery power unit. Also have an owner's letter.

There was no charge for this service work. You can look up your VIN at the Ford Owners site: http://www.ford.com/owner-services/m...ll-information

Check your vehicle Status

Enter your information below to get specific recall information for your vehicle.
Choose a Vehicle Brand Ford Lincoln Mercury Mazda Volvo What is my VIN?

Vehicle Identification Number (VIN): A VIN is a unique 17-digit alphanumeric code that describes the characteristics of your vehicle, including assembly plant, body style, engine and model year. The VIN is found on a metal tag affixed above the vehicle instrument panel and in your vehicle documentation.
Good Luck, I hope this helps.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

You need to ask them SPECIFICALLY if this repair is for the "HIGH VOLTAGE 330V BATTERY PACK", and if so there is no reason this wouldn't be covered under warranty (unless the vehicle had a salvage title), regardless of the recall or not.

If they are talking about the cables for the "LOW VOLTAGE 12V BATTERY" then it probably won't be covered.

Quick Reply: "Recall" on 2005 - 2007 FEH and 2006 - 2007 MMH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands