Really Strange Noise....

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 04:07 PM
Enthusiast
Exclamation Re: Really Strange Noise....

Originally Posted by Hybrid_SUV
All,
I'm copying this from my post in the Yahoo FEH group. At least one other owner has described this very same noise. I'm wondering if it is some sort of early sign of an issue. For the record, my FEH is an AWD with a build date of 11/04, I have only 8000mi on it.

--------------------------------------------
While I was out driving today, my FEH started making a very strange
noise. I will try to describe. I was on the highway, crusing about
60mph...I was towing a trailer(see separate post) but had the cruise
on and the engine wasn't straining at all. Nearly flat...slight hills.
Anyway, all of a sudden, a rattle started from the center
console...sounded like it was behind the AC and radio controls...
sounded like it was inside the cabin (not engine). Stopped at a gas
station. As I slowed down, noise got quieter and quieter. When I
stopped...noise stopped. Opened hood with ICE running...could not
hear sound.
Left gas station...when I got at about 30mph noise started again.
Did not vary with RPMs....does not vary directly with road speed(i.e.
not like a tire noise), but will slowly gets quieter as you slow down-
-but not porportional to speed. AC Fan ON/OFF does not change noise.
The noise almost sounds like someone threw some small rocks into
a fan...almost a non-symetrical rattle...coming from behind the front
console. Almost 100% sure it was inside the cabin. Sounded like AC
Fan...but continued even after I turned the fan off. I was driving at
60mph....and just as mysteriously as noise started, it got quieter
and quieter and then just stopped. Not a peep of noise for the next
45min of driving. Weird.
Anyone have any ideas? Sounded like rocks thrown into a fan or an
aluminum can rattling from behind the dash.

Nate
Nate, Check my post of 1/7. Had the same thing happen to mine and the noise was a little hard to pinpoint at first but it did come from a label peeling off the drive shaft. After it has parted company with the driveshaft it's over for good.
Woodsman

Old 01-09-2007, 02:29 PM
Hybrid_SUV_Owner
Thumbs up Re: Really Strange Noise....

Originally Posted by Woodsman
Nate, Check my post of 1/7. Had the same thing happen to mine and the noise was a little hard to pinpoint at first but it did come from a label peeling off the drive shaft. After it has parted company with the driveshaft it's over for good.
Woodsman
Hey,
Have not checked for the label yet...but it makes sense given the charactaristics(sp?) of the noise I heard. I haven't heard anything else out of the ordinary and the vehicle is running great, so I'm not worried about it. Thanks.

Nate

Old 11-14-2009, 12:33 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Really Strange Noise....

I was driving my wife's '08 FEH down an interstate this spring, & took a golf-ball-sized rock directly into the windshield from a construction vehicle that was spewing stuff all over the road. I sped up, got the state license # off the @#$% flatbed truck, & contacted the state patrol. It took over 5 months to hear ANYTHING back from the Ohio state patrol, but eventually they traced it to the driver, fined him and his company, & I got a small reimbursement check....didn't come very close to the $345 it cost me to replace the blasted windshield.

To this day, if I find myself behind any similar vehicle, I do everything I can to speed up and get in FRONT of it.

Gary

Old 11-15-2009, 10:30 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Woodsman
Woodsman
Where is "the driveshaft" located so I can check/peel it off myself? ....Noise is driving me crazy!!!!
TIA

Old 11-16-2009, 06:40 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by bobbylaw
Where is "the driveshaft" located so I can check/peel it off myself? ....Noise is driving me crazy!!!!
TIA
Only if you have a 4WD, it runs from the PTU and connected to your rearend. Looks like a pipe with a support bearing along the way.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:58 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks...I DO have an AWD..
What's PTU?
I'll check but could that really be source of noise which sounds like its coming from just above cd tray area of Nav/radio?
I wish it were that simple
separately..does nav use an actual DVD for navigational/street info cuz sound seems to be comin from that genl area and sounds exactly like a cd/dvd spinning off-kilter or warped on its tray or sounds like a hard drive/spinning "searching" a bit off its axis.
TIA

Old 11-17-2009, 03:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yes, the NAV system does have a DVD. I've changed mine one to update the street info, & just received a notice that this year's version is available (for $199) to purchase. There is a function in the menu that will lead you to opening the unit to eject the DVD. You might try finding that in the manual and taking that step, to see if the noise goes away or not ....

I'm not near my vehicle to help find the directions..........sorry. But, as I remember, it was prominently shown in the manual, if you have that...

Gary