Strange Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Strange Noise

newbie FEH owner here. I have about 1100 miles on my 08 awd escape. If I have all noise producing things off ( radio, AC fan ) so its running as quiet as I can make it, if I am driving anywhere on battery only I can hear what I assume id the electric motor/generator whirring. Even when the ICE starts, I can still hear what sounds like a motor winding up. Its not real loud and the radio or AC fan can mask the sound. So my question is - is this normal ?? My reference is my 2007 TCH which when running on battery is totally silent, or the TCH has better insulation. My TCH has 17000 miles. The FEH definetely starts quicker and runs longer than the TCH on battery, but the TCH shuts off the ICE when ever you take your foot off the gas. Before I go running to the dealer, I want your opinions as to the noise and if its a problem thank

Old 10-25-2007, 12:57 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Strange Noise

I am not familiar with the strange noise you hear (mine is FWD). Mine seems quiet to me, but I do not have a TCH to compare it with.

About letting the "foot off the gas". Does the TCH shut the engine down at freeway speeds too?

How come the FEH doesn't do this?

Cris

Old 10-25-2007, 01:08 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

You are hearing the traction motor. Sometimes you can hear it when you regen. It depends on load, the higher the load the more the noise.

Old 10-27-2007, 05:18 AM
2008 Escape Hybrid Owner

I hear this in my 08 FEH. It sounds like traction motor and/or electronic drive noise. I think it is normal. You probably hear it becuse these cars are SO quiet!