Real MPG with A/C on in S. FL

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 11:10 AM
Enthusiast
Default Real MPG with A/C on in S. FL

I'm considering a Mariner Hybrid but live in S. FL where we have to have the A/C on always. I live in the city where my average speed is 22, so what can I expect with A/C performance and MPG?

Thanks.

Old 03-19-2006, 04:52 PM
Default Re: Real MPG with A/C on in S. FL

First of all, if your concerned about MPG, why are you looking at the AWD Mariner in S. FL.? I live in Jupiter and own a FWD FEH, and its perfect here. I can do without A/C six months out of the year here and use normal recircular A/C most of the time if it gets hot. Max A/C with cause the engine to run all the time and it's a killer on MPG in the city. If you drive EV at speeds under 40mph, you can get 40 plus MPG in the FWD after break in. My average is now about 44-46mpg in this nice weather.

GaryG

Old 03-20-2006, 02:57 PM
Enthusiast

Classact-
MPG is also affected by length of trip...shorter trips garner lower MPGs. Taking my son to school and back (4 miles round trip at 25 mph) will get me 29-30 mpg in my Ford Escape hybrid. Longer trips on the freeway get 32 mpg. I live in southern Ca. and infrequently use the maximum air conditioning setting, since it keeps the engine running...
As Gary suggested, you might want to look at the Ford Escape front wheel drive if you don't really use 4WD, since the AWD Mariner will get you lower MPG numbers.
Good luck,
Joan

Old 03-20-2006, 10:33 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

You could also compromise a bit, by using the AC when moving, and shutting it off when you're at a stop.

Honestly, you're far better off traveling with the windows down and the blower running, even up to 75 MPH than using the AC, fuel wise. (As demonstrated at the FEH Experience.)

What you'll get is unique to you, your speed, your commute, your patters, your accessory and how you'll drive determines your MPGs, and I would shy away from anyone and any vehicle that's going to make blanket statements about FE with constant AC usage.