Radio Text Display 08 vs. 09

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 07:38 AM
Enthusiast
Default Radio Text Display 08 vs. 09

I own the FEH/FWD '08 with satelite radio. One nit was always lack of radio controls on the steering wheel and had to hit the "TEXT" button to get more details about what was playing on the radio. The TEXT info is usually the artist/name of song or the live sports scores.

I rented an '09 non-hybird FE AWD on a business trip which had Sirius and the radio controls on the wheel. One difference was the default for the radio display was to show the "TEXT" information by default.

Anyone know if this is a possible software upgrade?

BTW: Yes, it was a rental car with 8K miles, but it seemed a much harder ride and I missed all the quiet times that would normally have been EV mode. If I had test drove the non-hybrid I may have never gotten the FEH - glad I never did.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:48 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Radio Text Display 08 vs. 09

Ah, the redundant controls on the steering wheel...those of us with Job 1 '08 hybrids got robbed. Most convenient feature--in my opinion-- and one that helps keep a driver's eyes on the road. I had contacted Ford and was told it was a manufacturing 'oversight'. Job 2 (Dec 07) steering wheels with redundant audio controls were incompatible (!) with Job 1 builds because Ford's engineers also changed the cruise control circuitry in the wheel (you've got to be kidding)--so a switch-out/upgrade was made impossible.

For the same reason, I would be surprised if there was any way to upgrade software. Things seem to dawn on Ford, and they don't consider what their little 'tweaks' in the same model year do for their customers who just bought the same model year .....

Last edited by icebluemariner; 06-08-2009 at 07:51 AM.