question of a new owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 09:15 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default question of a new owner

1 Do you use Mobil 1 oil?
1A do you wait 10k to change your oil?
2 What type of hitch receiver should I get 1000 lb or 2000 lb?
3 Can I get a full size tire to fit the under car tire holder( I hate the little junk spare they give you)?

That will do for starters.
Thanks for your replies.

Mark

Last edited by Tigermidge; 08-01-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:50 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: question of a new owner

Mark what year FEH do you own and can you put it in your signature?

Replies:
1.=I use Mobil 1 0W20. I use a Motorcraft oil filter.
2.=I just went 9,000 miles between changes.
3.=You want to obtain a 2" receiver, not the 1 1/4". The larger size allows one to utilize a much wider variety of aftermarket hardware.
4.=We need to know the year of your vehicle but the answer should be yes.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

It is a brand new 09.
Bought it yesterday.
Also I am getting 34 MPG already, I do own a Prius so I know somewhat how to drive the vehicle.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:10 AM

There's an extensive and recent discussion here on synthetic oils. Don't need to repeat it. I am a fully synthetic believer. I use Mobil One and installed it as soon as I could after delivery. You'll see that some disagree.

I use Mobil One because when I researched synthetic oils for my Mustang in 2001 I found what I felt was sound technical info available. Another fully synthetic oil is Amsoil. Although I found with them that they seemed to rely on testimonials rather than technical info.

Red Line is the only other fully synthetic oil on the market as best I can determine. They use a slightly different formulation based on gas turbine lubricants. I felt that Mobil One was the choice for me.

If you pull up the other "synthetic" oil MSDSs (Material Safety Data Sheet) you'll find such things as paraffins mentioned. These indicate that they use a dino oil base and add a synthetic package. Note that the good wear characteristics, for example, come from the bulk oil not the additive package.

I put my 2001 Mustang Cobra on Mobil One at 8 miles (yeah I really did drive it home and change it) and it now has 254,000 miles on it and my FEH I did at 78 miles (it took me a while to find the right tool to remove the filter top) and it is now at 52,000 miles.

Both going strong and running like a top.

There's a posting I put up here on a Valley Engineering hitch that I really like (and bought), take a look. Other FEHs (non-hybrid) can tow far more than the 1,000 limit on the hybrid FEH. I'd get a tow hitch consistent with that, 3500# I believe I've been told.

Know what you mean about the itty-bitty spare, but don't know about putting a full size one down there. If you find out post the info.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Winney
There's a posting I put up here on a Valley Engineering hitch that I really like (and bought), take a look. Other FEHs (non-hybrid) can tow far more than the 1,000 limit on the hybrid FEH. I'd get a tow hitch consistent with that, 3500# I believe I've been told.

Know what you mean about the itty-bitty spare, but don't know about putting a full size one down there. If you find out post the info.
I also put the Valley 2" hitch on my FEH and am very pleased with it, although I only use it for a hitch mounted bicycle rack.

The earlier FEHs will take a full sized spare and the Valley hitch does not interfere with the bigger spare. Don't know about the later models.