Did anyone else get this letter from Ford?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Question Did anyone else get this letter from Ford?

I recently ( past week ) recieved a letter from Ford and a Denver testing facility. In short, the letter says they wish to "borrow" my FEH for 3 to 5 days for emissions testing on a Dyno. The letter from Ford says they wish to see how the emissions system is performing after 5 years (mine will be 5 years old this December, but some started to be built in August of 2004).

My car will be "kept indoors and will be fully insured" the whole time.
In the end, I will recieve my FEH back fully detailed inside and out, with a full tank of gas, and $200 cash for my trouble.

Or, at my option, I may recieve $100 cash and use a 2009 or 2010 Ford loaner vehicle for the 3 to 5 days with a full tank of gas in the loaner, at no charge.

Anyone else get this letter in the Denver area or other areas of the nation?
There was one letter from the Emissions Lab and one letter from Ford on Ford stationary in the same envelope. I have no doubt it is legit.

Just curious,
-John

Old 08-01-2009, 06:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Did anyone else get this letter from Ford?

I have not receive such a letter and question why "this group" would need several days to complete an emission test when one can have it done at state emission test facilities for a "short" time frame. Ford is still posting quarterly losses and it seems questionable that they could "throw money away" when the emission equipment on the vehicles is warrantied for what eight years? Have you taken this letter to a dealership for review?

Old 08-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
I recently ( past week ) recieved a letter from Ford and a Denver testing facility. In short, the letter says they wish to "borrow" my FEH for 3 to 5 days for emissions testing on a Dyno. The letter from Ford says they wish to see how the emissions system is performing after 5 years (mine will be 5 years old this December, but some started to be built in August of 2004).

My car will be "kept indoors and will be fully insured" the whole time.
In the end, I will recieve my FEH back fully detailed inside and out, with a full tank of gas, and $200 cash for my trouble.

Or, at my option, I may recieve $100 cash and use a 2009 or 2010 Ford loaner vehicle for the 3 to 5 days with a full tank of gas in the loaner, at no charge.

Anyone else get this letter in the Denver area or other areas of the nation?
There was one letter from the Emissions Lab and one letter from Ford on Ford stationary in the same envelope. I have no doubt it is legit.

Just curious,
-John

Old 08-01-2009, 07:52 PM
Enthusiast

I have not received such a letter. Interesting. Please keep us up to date on how it works out.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:58 PM

I am sure that the testing they want to do, and on more than one car, is far more extensive than the state emissions test.

In the end the state stuff is a quick, go-no go text or screening test.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:32 AM
Enthusiast

About 5 years ago, my then gf got one for her Toyota Echo. We are in Metro Detroit and the testing was to occur at a facility in Ann Arbor. I checked it out at the time and it seemed legit.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:44 AM
Red
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Great opportunity to have your vehicle completely checked out. They may replace some components with new and take yours back to the labs for indepth testing. I would do it in a heartbeat. You will be helping all of us.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:34 AM

John, if you do this, will you let them know about your E85 trials?

Old 08-03-2009, 12:24 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Originally Posted by MyPart
John, if you do this, will you let them know about your E85 trials?
I don't know. Does it matter? They will be testing the emissions based on the fuel in the tank at the time, most likely, E10. I'd love to do it twice, the second time on E85 and compare, but I don't think they will afford me the opportunity, but I could always ask. I'm sure I'd get a few frowns. By all the data available, E85 makes much fewer emissions. A very few think it ruins things. It won't. At least up to E70 the fuel injectors can keep the A/F ratio correct. You need a mod chip ( which I have ) to push more than E70.

First, I need to find a time when I can loan them the car for "3 to 5 days".
I'm usually not home that long. I work as a special agent ( ok, traveling customer service agent ) and I'm working in the field most of the time and only home weekends. I live most of my life from a suitcase! ( but get paid salary plus $0.50 per mile )

Old 08-03-2009, 12:42 PM

The only reason I asked is because it seems they may be looking for the long term effectiveness of the emissions equipment. Hypothetically, if they come across something unexpected in your test results, it would be good for them to know the history of the vehicle. It's possible that a few tanks of E85 (and the other mixtures you've tried) could have have had a cumulative effect (for better OR worse) on the system.

I'm not making a statement here for or against Ethanol. I'm just saying that your vehicle's history is not quite the same as the everyday FEH that's only had E10 or less and might skew their results. Heck, you may have cleaner emissions than others leading Ford to recommend an occasional E70 tank for the rest of us (not likely but possible).

If I were you, I think I'd ask for the loaner and push for a GT500 to play with.

Quick Reply: Did anyone else get this letter from Ford?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands