Problems with ICE shutoff

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 04:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Problems with ICE shutoff

Originally Posted by wwest
Did you know that the new LS460 gets 30MPH just cruising along at freeway speeds? Engine turns only 1400 RPM.
The correct qusetion, is what does the LS460 get in fuel mileage in stop-and-go traffic? The answer is 19. Yep, just 19 compared to a FEH at, what, 36? That's quite a difference!

BTW, the EPA rates the LS460 at 27, not 30, for the highway.

Old 12-13-2006, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by WaltPA
I thought knock/ping was the result of the uneven burning of the fuel, which caused uneven pressure on the top of the piston. The uneven pressure is basically one side being pushed down harder/faster than the other. With that, the piston "tilts" causing the sound. ????
Engine knock resulting from the combustion process is ALWAYS the result of the flame front expanding faster than the piston can move away/downwards.

That can be because of pre-ignition due to high compression and a (too) lean mixture, timing too early (for the fuel octane..), over-heated engine block, carbon deposits, intake mixture too hot due to Super/Turbo, etc. It can also result from "lugging" the engine, having the gearbox in too high a ratio for the conditions and the wheels cannot be turned (fast) enough with the low level of torque conveyed.

Think of it, basically, as striking the top center of the piston with a hammer.

Old 12-13-2006, 06:37 AM
Enthusiast

Here's a good overview of detonation and pre-ignition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking

Old 12-13-2006, 11:39 AM

1. Ford designed their system from scratch. After doing so, they recognized that their design might infringe on some of Toyota's patents. To avoid problems they "licensed" the "technology" from Toyota. I don't believe they used any of Toyota's designs, rather they just got the licensing so that they could use their own designs without risking litigation. They do source some components from the same manufacturers but I don't believe they share many parts in common.

2. As much as I'd like to believe the Hybrid and V6 have comparable acceleration times, they simply do not. The 0-60 numbers I found from some car review sites were:
8.1 secs for the 6 cyl,
8.9 secs for the Hybrid.
9.1 secs for the 4 cyl.

Old 12-13-2006, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tim K
1. Ford designed their system from scratch. After doing so, they recognized that their design might infringe on some of Toyota's patents. To avoid problems they "licensed" the "technology" from Toyota. I don't believe they used any of Toyota's designs, rather they just got the licensing so that they could use their own designs without risking litigation. They do source some components from the same manufacturers but I don't believe they share many parts in common.

2. As much as I'd like to believe the Hybrid and V6 have comparable acceleration times, they simply do not. The 0-60 numbers I found from some car review sites were:
8.1 secs for the 6 cyl,
8.9 secs for the Hybrid.
9.1 secs for the 4 cyl.
Since the electric motors are of most use at low speed, I wonder how this comes out 0-40 or so. At 60 the electric motors probably don't contribute as much help.

Old 12-13-2006, 01:30 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

And sorry, I have it on very good authority that the FEH/MMH hybrid drive system, base design, is licensed from Toyota, and not only that, it is my understanding that the FEH uses the same control firmware as the Prius with relatively minor tweaks here and there.

Ford chose to use the Prius hybrid drive design rather than the RX/HL because with those Toyota had decided that since the Prius hybrid design could not be upscaled and still remain fuel efficient they went for HP/torque, 0-60 times.

Luckily Ford did not follow Toyota's "lead" and so the FEH/MMH is quite fuel efficient in comparison to the RX/HL.

My understanding is that Ford could not make the FEH "work" without infringing on a substantial number of the early Toyota patents and rather than license the individual patents "piecemeal" they licensed the entire "package".

Why does this keep persisting? It's not true. I've spoken with the engineers that designed the FEH. They're nice people, and they're very proud of the FEH. They didn't use the Prius as their road map, they designed their own system, and found it close to the HSD that Toyota used as their best hybrid system. However, every little bit of it is Ford designed, nothing borrowed from Toyota. Not one thing. If Toyota didn't exist, and we still got the FEH, it would be just as it is now. Patent sharing is done all the time in the Auto Industry. Toyota Minivans have patent sharing because their seatbelt design is too close to Fords. There are thousands of systems that are close to other manufacturers, so they patent share to avoid costly and lengthy legal disputes. It's far easier, kinder, and helps us, the consumer out. For some reason, the FEH having hybrid patent sharing with Toyota is somehow brought to the forefront, and everyone just assumes incorrectly that Ford just bought/mimmicked a hybrid. This is not true. If that was the case, why isn't Solomon Technologies suing Ford as well? Because they can't, because it's a different system.

In addition, the FEH predates the RX400H, so even if they were "technology looting", they wouldn't have had that option anyway.

Stop trying to reduce the hard work of dozens of engineers into a case of copycat; what'd they ever do to you?

Old 12-13-2006, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
Since the electric motors are of most use at low speed, I wonder how this comes out 0-40 or so. At 60 the electric motors probably don't contribute as much help.
Also, if you know anything about how to take off in an automatic from a starting line, you use the brake to hold the car still and accelerate to launch the car. I've heard that was a problem in the earlier test between the V6 Escape and the FEH because the computer and eCVT didn't like this method in the FEH. Don't get me wrong, the V6 does have an edge on the FEH, but most of us don't launch a vehicle from 0-60mph or 1/4 mile on the street. I know I can spin the tires at a rolling start with my FWD FEH.

GaryG

Old 12-13-2006, 02:02 PM

"..In addition, the FEH predates the RX400h...."

Only based on market availibility. The market introduction of the RX400h was delayed almost three years from the initially announced product introduction date. It is my understanding that the initial RXh design was to address FE in the same way the Prius has but the original Prius design could not be upscaled to meet Lexus' requirements and still pass emissions. So it was willingly licensed to Ford at a CHEAP price so as not to waste all the time and effort Toyota engineers had put into the design.

Last edited by wwest; 12-13-2006 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:44 PM

Only based on market availibility. The market introduction of the RX400h was delayed almost three years from the initially announced product introduction date. It is my understanding that the initial RXh design was to address FE in the same way the Prius has but the original Prius design could not be upscaled to meet Lexus' requirements and still pass emissions. So it was willingly licensed to Ford at a CHEAP price so as not to waste all the time and effort Toyota engineers had put into the design.
Willard, you just do not understand!

"Rumor on the street is that Escape Hybrid is using the hybrid system out of Toyota’s Prius. This is absolutely false. Ford Motor Company developed and engineered the hybrid system and possesses 100 patents on the design. The Atkinson engine is an adaptation of the 2.3 Liter Duratec I 4 found in Ranger, Escape, and 2005 Focus. The eCVT is manufactured by Aisin AW specifically for Escape.
Of the 351 patents covering the hybrid drivetrain, Ford did feel compelled to pay license fees to Toyota on 21 of them. This was done simply to avoid any patent infringement controversies."
http://www.gulfcoastnews.com/RT2005FordEscapeHybrid.htm

GaryG

Old 12-13-2006, 04:38 PM

Only based on market availibility. The market introduction of the Ford Explorer V6 Hybrid (FEH 2) was delayed almost three years from the initially announced product introduction date. It is my understanding that the initial Ford Explorer Hybrid design was to address FE in the same way the FEH has but the original FEH design could not be upscaled to meet Ford Explorer requirements and still pass emissions. So it was willingly licensed to Toyota for the Lexus RX400h at a CHEAP price so as not to waste all the time and effort Ford engineers had put into the design.

Lets all go the the RX400 site and let them know what they got!

GaryG

Quick Reply: Problems with ICE shutoff

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands