PIE Interface for Escape ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 02:57 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: PIE Interface for Escape ?

Originally Posted by hdbillp
The PIE X3 works well but is a little querky. You have to have a CD in the changer at all times and control is only thru the Ipod. It also requires you to bump up the volume higher than the CD or radio.
I just got the PIE X3 so I am going to return it and order this unit.
It sounds like we are ready for X3 version 2 that allows control through the Nav system, and doesn't require a CD in the changer to run?

Does anybody know if the manufacturer is working on an improved version?

Old 08-22-2006, 02:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

SteveWA is correct. It really comes down to a matter of preference. I have no plans to add satellite radio, use the CD Changer, or add other inputs. I wanted something better than an FM transmitter to play my Ipod through my stereo. There are limitations to the PIE POD as well. The version I have does not let you control the Ipod separately when plugged in. You can only play pre-established playlists that are formatted in a certain way on the Ipod through your Stereo interface. The PIE POD charges the Ipod whereas the X3 does not.

For my needs the PIE POD works well. The X3 will work for others.

Old 08-22-2006, 03:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hdbillp
The X3 still allows use of the CD Changer and 2 other input devices with a switch that allows you to handle the devices. For example, you could plug in your Ipod/MP3 player and a satellite radio and use the 3 way switch to select between CD, Ipod/MP3 or Satellite.
Just wondering where is this "switch" located? Under the seat? On the Nav system? On the dock?

Old 08-22-2006, 07:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I think wherever you have the switch mounted.

Old 08-23-2006, 06:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

The X3 comes with a switch box that you can mount anywhere. If I decided to use the X3 I would have ran the wire into the console and mounted it in there.

Old 10-21-2006, 02:06 PM
Enthusiast

Recently plugged in the PIE FRDW PC-POD2 to my '07FEH .At first I had a little trouble contorting my big hand along the side under the seat to unplug the connection,I used an old visor mirror to see, but once I jimmied out the disc's plug,I realized how easy it was going to be plugging in the interface set.Having the extra long cord is ok,you can wind up the excess till someone in the back wants to be the DJ.The IPOD sounds perfect through the stereo,especially the spacial effects on the NAV/Stereo, listening to the classics like ,"Moody Blues & YES".I can still use a CD in the dash if I need to. Anyway, the IPOD charges and is only powered when ignition is in on position,which is good if you leave it alone.You can pick whatever you want to hear from your pod or shuffle.Other folks on this thread explained building playlists,I'm not sure thats necessary. Got mine online from CarDomain.com $129.95+ free shipping.

Last edited by kenest6; 10-21-2006 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mppkll
It feeds the NAV system a mute/phone enable (+5v enable phone / 0v normal operation) and the audio signal from the phone. When you get or place a call the system mutes your current audio program and routes the phone audio to the front speakers. The NAV system display changes to "Phone" while the phone is in use.
Does anyone know of a source for a cable which will plug into Nav radio's phone-input connector? I mean that odd 17 pin connector which includes the phone audio input (and other things like the non-existing steering wheel remote), and not the 12 pin with the ACP and the aux stereo inputs.