outside mirror ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 11:24 PM
Enthusiast
Default outside mirror ??

Does the Hybrid Escape have the wiring running for the outside rear view mirrors to be heated? I figure that if this option is available on other Escape models the wiring harness would be there just waiting to hook up.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: outside mirror ??

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
Does the Hybrid Escape have the wiring running for the outside rear view mirrors to be heated? I figure that if this option is available on other Escape models the wiring harness would be there just waiting to hook up.
I have an '06 WITH heated Mirrors.... however don't count on the wiring harness being there without checking. They cut costs to the bone.. and a $1 on a wiring harness having an extra connection might not sound like much... but if you are building thousands of them....

Old 01-01-2009, 12:18 AM

Ford wired the outside mirrors into the rear window defroster. To do what you want to do, you have to purchased two new outside mirrors and then purchase/obtain a new wiring harness. Labor cost are extra. I actually purchased two new outside heated sideview mirrors to do what you wanted. After I took off the inside door panel and got a look at the wiring harness-heated and non-heated mirrors are different--I realized I needed some help. My local dealership wasn't keen on performing this option so I put the "job" on the back burner. You will need to obtain a Ford OEM wiring book to help you with this proceedure.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:56 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk
Ford wired the outside mirrors into the rear window defroster. To do what you want to do, you have to purchased two new outside mirrors and then purchase/obtain a new wiring harness. Labor cost are extra. I actually purchased two new outside heated sideview mirrors to do what you wanted. After I took off the inside door panel and got a look at the wiring harness-heated and non-heated mirrors are different--I realized I needed some help. My local dealership wasn't keen on performing this option so I put the "job" on the back burner. You will need to obtain a Ford OEM wiring book to help you with this proceedure.
I replaced the door wiring harnesses when I added a factory nav unit to my FEH and added the door tweeters. To add the heated mirrors, the part numbers for the door harnesses are:

Driver's door: 6L8Z 14631 HA
Passenger: 6L8Z 14630 HA

They list for $60.42 and $46.50, but can be had online for $43 and $33. It is a little tedious to replace them, but not that bad for an average DIYer.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:59 AM
Enthusiast

I bought a stock 07, what the dealer has on his lot. The car came from Iowa, which explains why there was no EBH on it, which I subsequently bought and installed. I also bought a compass/temperature/auto tint inside mirror and installed. I have had outside heated mirrors and I find them to be super helpful here in the winter. So I thought Ford might just wire all the vehicles the same and then just add options to the standard wiring harness as customers add options. I have an 03 Honda Goldwing motorcycle and there is a pigtail connection for options throughout the bike's wiring harness.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:19 PM

Thanks Carl for the reply. I will have to look at this in the near future.

I posted today on your latest AWD scanguage coding and it measures friction braking.