Odd Idea...Anyone Have a Mountaineer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 09:40 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Odd Idea...Anyone Have a Mountaineer?

Originally Posted by Tim K
Gary,
I've tried it all...but I think I am just too lazy to work that hard while I am driving. As it is, my wife thinks I'm nutty for accelerating so slowly, shifting into L all the time and writing down mileage and tank info on every fill up. I have identified "better routes" but sometimes I am stuck with poorer choices if I or my wife is running late. I think the biggest problem is that I live in the city so I don't get the opportunity to warm up and recharge the battery on my way into the stop and go traffic. I turn the corner, go two blocks and the redlights start lining up.
Still, in the end try to look at the positive. Yours and mine are 4WD. We are never going to see the 40+ the 2WD people get.... And the 4WD 6cylinder Escape gets 17 from what I remember.... We are doing a darn sight better than that!

Old 05-28-2008, 10:17 PM
Enthusiast

Any progress guys??

Old 05-29-2008, 06:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

[quote=TeeSter;100925]Still, in the end try to look at the positive. Yours and mine are 4WD. We are never going to see the 40+ the 2WD people get....quote]

In a mostly rural setting, with little traffic, lower speeds (25-45 mph range) and while using E30, I did pull a 42mpg run for 55 miles earlier this month. It become more difficult to do this with heavier traffic and higher speeds.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:34 AM
Active Enthusiast

I made 86 miles at 40 mpg once, and 35 miles at 50 mpg

Old 05-31-2008, 05:36 AM
Pragmatist

You can switch to LED lights without changing out the fixtures. One source for LED light bulbs that are plug-replacement for incandescent bulbs is http://www.hid-lights.com/ (I am not affiliated with that company. I have bought a few things from them.) I am sure there are other sources, but for the specific bulbs that I wanted to buy earlier this year, that was the cheapest.

I have not changed out the bulbs in the car, except for the trunk light. If I understand correctly, you might need some resistors to go with the turn signal bulbs so the flasher can work correctly. And you need to be aware that LEDs are very directional, so pick the ones that put out light in all the directions that are needed for each place.

For me, the economic payoff of LED lights was in another place. I got a bunch of the GP-194F-9W bulbs and put them in my Malibu garden lights. Changing out 40 of those little bulbs that run 10 hours a night reduced my electricity bill by about $18/month. The savings will pay the capital cost in about 8 months.