No engine start in neutral?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 03:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: No engine start in neutral?

Originally Posted by KenE
I believe this no start in Neutral can be advantageous. Say you are tooling along at 25mph in EV mode, about 1/4 mile to your destination, and you have to stop for a 90 second traffic light, and your SOC is 42% and falling quickly. With the selector in ‘D’, the ICE must start in about 15 seconds, which forces you to sit there with the engine running going zero miles per hour just to build the SOC. Ugly! But if you shift into ‘N’, the SOC can continue to drop for the entire 90 second traffic light, even below the magical 40% level, then when the light turns Green, you shift into ‘D’ or ‘L’, ICE spins up, and you drive the last 1/4 mile to your destination.

In this situation, you may have prevented ~75 seconds of ICE on time getting 0 MPG by shifting to Neutral.
I got in a situation to try this. As I rolled in neutral, the SoC fell below 40% with no ICE restart. However, when I gently touched the brake to round a corner the ICE restarted. Seems like the ICE restart was triggered by the brake. Any ideas?

Old 06-02-2008, 06:00 PM

That's odd because as I understand it, shifting to N is supposed to and always seems to "lock in" the current condition....if the ICE is on, it stays on, if the ICE is off it stays off. I am wondering if there is a speed component to the equation here though.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

Don & Tim K - Yes, the 6mph mentioned by DesertDog (I think), is the speed component. If you are stopped in neutral with the ICE off, I'm quite certain it won't restart when the SoC drops below 40%. However, if you are moving > 6mph in neutral, and SoC falls below 40%, the ICE will restart. I have experienced this, turning into my driveway > 6mph in neutral with a rapidly dropping SoC, only to have the ICE come on the last 50 feet. Had I known about the 6mph threshold, I would have crept into the garage to keep the engine off those last few feet.

What econoline experienced going around the corner, I am not certain. If you were going faster than 6mph into the turn when SoC dropped below the threshold and the ICE started, I think it may be a coincidence it was just when you applied the brake? I don't know if the brake application had any bearing on restart? Perhaps more experiments are required. The FEH learning curve continues!

Old 06-03-2008, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by KenE
Don & Tim K - Yes, the 6mph mentioned by DesertDog (I think), is the speed component. If you are stopped in neutral with the ICE off, I'm quite certain it won't restart when the SoC drops below 40%. However, if you are moving > 6mph in neutral, and SoC falls below 40%, the ICE will restart. I have experienced this, turning into my driveway > 6mph in neutral with a rapidly dropping SoC, only to have the ICE come on the last 50 feet. Had I known about the 6mph threshold, I would have crept into the garage to keep the engine off those last few feet.

What econoline experienced going around the corner, I am not certain. If you were going faster than 6mph into the turn when SoC dropped below the threshold and the ICE started, I think it may be a coincidence it was just when you applied the brake? I don't know if the brake application had any bearing on restart? Perhaps more experiments are required. The FEH learning curve continues!
Thanks Ken. I will try to repeat my experiment, but IIRC, I was ICE off in N at > 6mph, SoC was 38%. Then the instant I tapped the brake, I got ICE on. But let me repeat this before we jump to any conclusions. I will be more aware of the relevant conditions this time!

Old 06-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by econoline
Thanks Ken. I will try to repeat my experiment, but IIRC, I was ICE off in N at > 6mph, SoC was 38%. Then the instant I tapped the brake, I got ICE on. But let me repeat this before we jump to any conclusions. I will be more aware of the relevant conditions this time!
Don, I notice your FEH is 07 model, and mine is 08. Certainly there are some year-to-year firmware and hardware differences, so learning these things is important to us. Since my wife is the primary driver of the FEH, I have little time to experiment myself. But from what you described, it does appear that the brake application was the software trigger that forced the ICE on. But then why did it drop to 38% when your were going faster than 6 mph w/o restarting? Beats me.

Please keep us posted. Most of us on this website are like sponges, thirsting for knowledge