Newbie question

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 12:42 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Newbie question

I think I know the answer but here goes .... I just got a fairly loaded FEH but without NAV Can the factory unit be installed by ford and will function like one installed at the plant ? Espically interested in the functional screen ...

Old 08-24-2007, 04:26 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Newbie question

The answer is yes, but it's not easy, and you should probably have a hybrid qualified dealer do it.

I was told in 2005 that there is one data cable, that either goes to the green message center box, or the navigation unit. IE not both at the same time.

I heard of one person who had a defective dashboard instrument, and when the dealer returned his car, he had MPG on both the green message center AND the Navigation screen at the same time. So who knows? But I'm pretty sure it is possible. Make sure you get a great price for the Ford Hybrid NAV, so you can pay for the dealer to install it.

-John

Old 09-24-2007, 07:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

More NAV questions - my dealer gave me the number of an audio installer that does all the audio installs / repairs for the local dealers. I called and was told the a new ford factory NAV unit could be installed for about $1650. After further questioning, I was told the hybrid screens wouldn't work only the NAV parts. Now I really cornfused - I don't want to spend 1600 and not get the hybrid screens.. Any insight or help would be appriciated

Old 09-24-2007, 08:23 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I did this upgrade myself a couple of months ago. It's not that difficult if you're willing to do it yourself. The hybrid info requires that you buy the M/S-CAN to ACP module, which lists for about $130 from Ford. The new wiring harness will have the wiring for that, as well as for the CD changer and subwoofer. Adding the subwoofer, though, requires replacing a major harness on the right side of the vehicle, and the harness lists for about $350.

And yes, you will still have your average econ display in the instrument cluster to go along with the nav mileage display. The instrument cluster is more accurate, as it appears to retain a tank's worth of data.

If you get the new ScanGauge, you can have tons of battery and hybrid info displayed in digital format. It is much, much more useful than the nav unit, and much cheaper.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:23 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

DD did you find a cable that conects the instrument cluster to the nav unit for fe displays. I have the nav unit but would like to have the FE in the IC also esp if its a mater of hooking up a cable.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:48 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Mark, what the IC displays is part of its software. I don't think you could get the FE display in your IC if it came from the factory with the nav system. Unless perhaps you swapped out the IC with one from a non-nav FEH or had the IC computer re-flashed. Then you would lose your oil change monitor, though.

The wiring harness needed for the swap connects the IC to the MS-CAN/ACP module, which then goes to the nav radio.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:50 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

Drat, o well maybe i'll get a sgIII when they come out.

Last edited by Mark E Smith; 09-25-2007 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:37 AM
Enthusiast

check out this thread:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...30/index2.html

someone else got the nav installed in their '08 and the power management dsiplay is working.

I think I'll be going that route myself if the dealer ever gets back to me...