Newbie Question... Hypermiling???

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 05:07 PM
Witch
Default Newbie Question... Hypermiling???

What constitutes "hypermiling"? Is it simply a way of driving in an attempt to get better MPG than the EPA states a car should get? Is there a criteria that says "anything over XX amount of miles is "hypermiling"? If so, what is that magic number that constitutes the term itself?

Thanks!

Old 05-16-2006, 05:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Newbie Question... Hypermiling???

Originally Posted by tylers65
What constitutes "hypermiling"? Is it simply a way of driving in an attempt to get better MPG than the EPA states a car should get? Is there a criteria that says "anything over XX amount of miles is "hypermiling"? If so, what is that magic number that constitutes the term itself?

Thanks!
The convention is that if you beat the EPA figures consistently you're a hypermiler.

Old 05-16-2006, 05:32 PM
Witch

Interesting...

I have already achieved 51.3 and climbing. I have 340 miles on the clock and the first 150 of them were all stop and go on a learning curve. Does this make me a hypermiler in training or something?

My 2001 Lincoln LS was stated to get 24 MPG on the highway and I consistantly got 27+ and as high as 31 MPG a couple of times over the life of a tank. If I can do that in a V8, I wonder what I can do with my HCH II...

Old 05-16-2006, 06:00 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Tyler- You are off to an excellent start. Keep at it! Do you put much effort in to get that kind of mileage in your vehicles or do you just strap in and let it happen?

Old 05-16-2006, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Good question, don't really know the exact answer myself. I call it hypermiling when I'm trying hard to get good MPG regardless of the results. Sometimes you can try really hard but wind/rain/cold or snow will kill your results in spite of the effort. I'd still call it hypermiling even if you don't score great numbers.

Same works in reverse. I can easily beat EPA in my Vette cruising around at 70+mph with the AC on full blast. In spite of the good numbers I wouldn't call that hypermiling.

YMMV

Last edited by lakedude; 05-16-2006 at 06:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-16-2006, 06:17 PM

Here is the explanation in the right margin of the Greenhybrid database page:

Hypermiler! The driver of this car has achieved "hypermiler" status. To qualify, a car must have higher fuel economy than EPA estimates over more than 3,000 miles. The EPA city/highway figures are weighted for each car. If no percentages are specified, 55/45% is default.

Old 05-16-2006, 06:28 PM
Witch

Originally Posted by brick
Tyler- You are off to an excellent start. Keep at it! Do you put much effort in to get that kind of mileage in your vehicles or do you just strap in and let it happen?
You know, I pay a bit more attention to my driving style than I used to. I think a lot of my results thus far are based on the fact that the HCH II does not accelerate the way my V8 did and therefore I see no point is stepping on the gas the way I used to. When one has power, it is easy to abuse it. It seemed like every time I was not happy with the people I was driving around, I could always find an easy escape a the push of a pedal. Now, I just go with the flow. I also find that I am now a lot more calm when I am in the car than I used to be.

The little guage that shows you "real time" MPG helps hammer the guilt of stepping on the gas home though. It is like a nagging mother that always reminds you that you don't call as often as you used to. It is always there and never lets you forget what happens when your foot gains weight.

Last edited by tylers65; 05-16-2006 at 06:34 PM.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:33 PM
Witch

Originally Posted by ElanC
Here is the explanation in the right margin of the Greenhybrid database page:

Hypermiler! The driver of this car has achieved "hypermiler" status. To qualify, a car must have higher fuel economy than EPA estimates over more than 3,000 miles. The EPA city/highway figures are weighted for each car. If no percentages are specified, 55/45% is default.
Good to know... Thanks!

I guess I should have qualified as a hypermiler a long time ago then as I rarely got less than EPA in the Lincoln and I put 40,000 miles on it in 1.5 years of it. The only time I ever got under the EPA was a couple of open track events and a day on the dyno. Those have a way of destroying your fuel economy, brake pads, rotors, and tires but they sure are fun. I have actually put new brakes on a car, went to 2 days of open track and replaced them again when I got back home

Old 05-16-2006, 08:46 PM
Banned

tylers65,

You are off to a great start. The things hypermilers typically do:
  • Use minimally the accelerator and brakes - i.e. maintain a steady cruise speed
  • Anticipate what is ahead to optimize fuel economy
  • Study the dashboard to also optimize fuel economy
  • Tend to drive at the lowest speed of your highest gear without lugging
  • Do a forced autostop if autostop does not work or not available

Old 05-17-2006, 08:05 AM

I think to get the hypermiling star in Greenhybrid's database you have to average over EPA for 3000 miles.

I snipped this from GH Database page: