Newbee here. P027-60 is What?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2020, 03:15 PM
Enthusiast
Default Newbee here. P027-60 is What?

P0A27-60 What does it mean?
I just purchased a FEH - 2006 Escape with 148,000. Driving it home it threw a couple codes causing the wrench to appear. Using my Forscan i found them to be an ABS code because of an extremely low tire (I wish all were as easily remedied.) The other was in the BCM; P0A27-60. I hope it was a battery overheat due to a clogged battery cooling system filter. I found it to be mounded with debris. It has now been replaced with a new filter and the code is no longer setting off the wrench. I can hear the door opening to allow air flow as I start the vehicle.
What exactly does the P0A27-60 code designate? Ought I to be concerned beyond the replacement of the filter?
I took the vehicle in to the local Ford dealership to do a scan and a systems check. The would really like me to replace the battery for $11k. HAH!!! Like that will happen! I am fairly certain it is not totally gone, since the gas motor will cycle off and on when in park and at some stop signs while waiting for the light.

Last edited by SparkyRasmus; 08-31-2020 at 03:19 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 08-31-2020, 03:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Newbee here. P027-60 is What?

It has nothing to do with the filter, per se. The first answer is that it's a bad harness in the HVTB Power Off Circuit that should have been replaced under warranty if it had come up while it was eligible. My reading of this is that it's a defect in the hardware that has to be fixed, somehow.

https://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9210

Old 08-31-2020, 09:05 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Newbee here. P027-60 is What?

Originally Posted by AlexK
It has nothing to do with the filter, per se. The first answer is that it's a bad harness in the HVTB Power Off Circuit that should have been replaced under warranty if it had come up while it was eligible. My reading of this is that it's a defect in the hardware that has to be fixed, somehow.

https://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9210
Hey, thanks for the reply!
I had the local dealership check to see if all the recalls were finished on the vehicle, and they said that they were. If it was a Technical Service Bulletin and not a recall, that would probably not show up in corporate computer records. It is interesting to me that the code does not affect the drivability of the vehicle. Could they have replaced the harness and not reset the BCM? Or reprogrammed the BCM without deleting the error code? https://testing-public.carmd.com/Tsb...94/tsb09-18-06
Hmm.
The question I have about the code is the extension "-60" that is stored as part of the P0A27-60. Might it designate a more specific cause to the battery auto disconnect? One of the reasons that I have found for such an event is an uneven temperature reading across the cells in the battery, another for the entire battery to be out of range re temperature. That's why I was concerned about the filter being clogged and causing a lack of airflow across the battery resulting in an overheat condition.
Here is what the Forscan test reported:
Code: P0A27 - Battery Power Off Circuit
- DTC Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC
Module: Battery Control Module

The vehicle self test displayed on the dash when the INFO button on the center console is pushed declares the hybrid power system to operating normally.

Last edited by SparkyRasmus; 08-31-2020 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Additional information