New SGII Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 09:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New SGII Problems

The state of Minnesota has mandated E20 in the year 2012.

In Brazil, there is no pure gasoline, it is E22 or higher as in E85.

This is spreading in the mid-west

blender pumps.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:01 PM
Enthusiast

Doesn't the '09 FEH handle E10 better?

Old 09-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Active Enthusiast
Cool Re: New SGII Problems

Originally Posted by InsGadget

My manual says "E10 is okay" The cap-less gas cover even says E-10!

Old 09-23-2008, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by InsGadget
Yes, I'm getting much better mileage on E-10 than my '05 FEH, but everything is much better in the '09 FEHL. Since I can't get regular straight gas, I can't tell the real effects of E-10 though. I'm averaging ~47mpg according to the Nav Sys and 49.5mpg according to the SGII still. If this was the mileage in my '05 FEH on E-10, I could expect 53mpg on the Nav Sys and 55.5mpg tank averages on the SGII with straight gas. During the cooler winter months here I'm guessing the '09 will get 53mpg on the Nav Sys and 55.5mpg on how the SGII is set-up now running E-10. I'm going to wait till I finish this tank before adjusting one of the SGII's like Carl sugested.

At any rate, I'm much happier driving faster in EV, getting this kind of mileage on E-10 and the '09 handles the heat much better than my '05. One technique I'm using and suggest other '09 owners use is after a restart from EV, coast as much as possibe in Drive. I accelerate slowly ~3mph and coast down ~3mph for fuel-cut. This allows charging of the HV battery using very little gas. You don't get complete fuel-cut unless your over ~48mph which I'm not most of the time running at EV speeds.

GaryG

Old 11-06-2008, 04:44 PM

According to my tank fills now logged on CleanMPG, I've been able to get the percentages of the Nav Sys and SGII are off. The Nav Sys reads ~3.8% high and the SGII reads a shameful ~11% high. I've had my SGII adjusted plus 10.4% on the tank refill screen during this past 6th refill, and it's still reading ~.8mpg high. The SGII was reading 51mpg tanks before any adjustment and gas pump was at ~46mpg. My Nav Sys is presently reading 49.8mpg with ~360 miles on this tank and with my 10.4% adjusted SGII , it's reading 48.8mpg on the tank so far. This should put my true tank average at 48mpg so far at this point.

So for those with the '09 FEH/MMH , your Nav Sys reads ~3.8% higher than the actual gas pumped into the tank. Can anyone else confirm what I'm finding on both these gauges?

GaryG

Old 11-07-2008, 06:25 AM
Active Enthusiast
Location: New Jersey. Land of high auto insurance and pollution.

Originally Posted by GaryG
So for those with the '09 FEH/MMH , your Nav Sys reads ~3.8% higher than the actual gas pumped into the tank. Can anyone else confirm what I'm finding on both these gauges?

GaryG
Our first two tanks, with more than 65% highway, ended up being 34.1 MPG at the gas pump but the NAV read 35.8 & 35.5 MPG. Thats about 4.1% off on the second tank.

On a side note, anyone know exactly how much E10 vs Reg Gas reduces our emmisions? We're more than willing to take the 15% FE hit IF the emmisions reduction is worth it, i.e., 40% or more.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by twolostminds
Our first two tanks, with more than 65% highway, ended up being 34.1 MPG at the gas pump but the NAV read 35.8 & 35.5 MPG. Thats about 4.1% off on the second tank.

On a side note, anyone know exactly how much E10 vs Reg Gas reduces our emmisions? We're more than willing to take the 15% FE hit IF the emmisions reduction is worth it, i.e., 40% or more.
Keep a record of comparing your gauges and fill amounts and I will do the same and post here. The tank fills will vary with the '09, but not near as bad as the '05 FEH I have. I've ran out of gas twice in my '09, so I have a good idea that the Nav Sys is closer to reading 4% high.

The FEH gets top emissions ratings already and I think E-10 makes it worst. In my opinion, E-10 is a scam to make you burn more gas and make Big Oil richer. Ethanol mixes with moisture and separates the gasoline which causes damage to your engines. There are big problems with E-10 and marine engines now in Florida since it was mandated last May. Oregon mandated E-10 and now their trying to reverse this big mistake. Big Oil didn't reduce the price of E-10 here in Florida, they just raise the price of straight gas if you can find it. Now some marine and gas stations are advertising Ethanol Free Gas and raising the price. I've been researching the problems on the internet and looking for a place near me to buy Ethanol Free Gas for at least my boat and small gas/oil mix lawn tools. No luck yet.

On a good note for my '09, my Miles To Empty was 699 on my last tank and I should very easily break 700 MTE on my 6th tank. In the next week or so there may be a new MTE on my sig page here for the '09 FEHL.

GaryG

Old 11-07-2008, 12:34 PM

As always there are conflicting results regarding E10 emissions reductions as there are different components that can be measured under the umbrella of tailpipe emissions. Here's what one study had to say:

"In the 2005 report, Updated Energy and Greenhouse Gas Emission Results of Fuel Ethanol (PDF 1.7 MB), Argonne National Laboratory analyzed the greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions reduction from E10 on a per-mile basis and found that corn-based E10 reduces GHG emissions 2% below the emissions of regular gasoline. " (Ref: http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/vehi...sions_e10.html)

On a vehicle that is already one of the lowest emission producing vehicles on the market, 2% is not worth the 10+% loss in FE, in my opinion.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:58 PM

Hold on: mid-grade ethanol blends don't always deflate mileage.

e30blendsengine.jpg?t=1226098516

e8581708gave362mpgbetterthanstraigh.jpg?t=1226098628

Old 11-07-2008, 04:40 PM

Sorry Billy, Ford and I do not support the use of ETHANOL! You VOID your warranty after 10% or E-10 more. It is crap and a scam at any level! Until we run out of straight gas, Corn Based ethanol is a joke that will ruin anyone's mileage and will increase pollution.

GaryG

Quick Reply: New SGII Problems

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands