New owner here.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 10:14 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default New owner here.....

Hi all, I bought a new Escape Hybrid last night. I'm not new to this site, as you can see, but my other 2 hybrids have been Civics (an '04 and a '07). I still have the 2007 Civic, which my wife primarily uses. My first full day with the Escape leaves me loving it. Heck, I already tatoo'ed it (okay, it's a little cigarette burn in the headliner ). My mpg readout so far, in about 200 miles, is floating around 32 mpg. I have read that the computer may overestimate it, while the Civic usually underestimates it, but I'm still happy. I'm getting rid of a 2007 Kia Spectra, which I was VERY happy with, but was too small for my job requirements. The mpg's will likely be about the same, but giving me MUCH more flexibility. It's really a cool feeling to drive a mile or so in town with a couple stops with no ICE help. May have to take it out on the golf course

Glad to be here

Old 01-12-2008, 06:48 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: New owner here.....

Welcome to our world--I've truly enjoyed my Escape as well.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheBundo
Hi all, I bought a new Escape Hybrid last night. I'm not new to this site, as you can see, but my other 2 hybrids have been Civics (an '04 and a '07).
Congrats on the new FEH. WOW, three hybrids in your barn, that's great. Most of us are happy to have just one.

You didn't mention, is it FWD or AWD, color, options, etc. You see, we are all excited for you, and curious.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Welcome! I'm also an HCH owner who recently bought an MMH. The differences are pretty amazing actually. I like both hybrid systems a lot for very different reasons.

I would suggest getting a Scan Gauge--it will open up a whole new world of information that is not availible on the HCH.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KenE
Congrats on the new FEH. WOW, three hybrids in your barn, that's great. Most of us are happy to have just one.

You didn't mention, is it FWD or AWD, color, options, etc. You see, we are all excited for you, and curious.
Thanks for the welcome. I only have 2 hybrids at present, as I traded the '04 Civic in on the '07. My FEH is FWD, light blue, tan leather, no navi.

Tonight when climbing the Pacheco Pass, the Service Engine Light came on. Is there an easy way to diagnose it? I don't have a Scangauge.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:40 PM

Tonight when climbing the Pacheco Pass, the Service Engine Light came on. Is there an easy way to diagnose it? I don't have a Scangauge.
Where I live, auto parts stores such as Autozone offer free ORB code reading which is suppose to tell you what is wrong. You can buy these code readers in various locations including Walmart. It is wise to have one. If you don't have the hybrid navigational system in your Escape Hybrid, then get the Scangauge II unit. This unit also works as a code reader.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

Is Scangauge II available at auto parts chains, like Kargens, or is it a mail-order thing?

Old 01-25-2008, 07:18 PM

Is Scangauge II available at auto parts chains, like Kargens, or is it a mail-order thing?
I got my two off E-bay. I have not seen them in our local auto parts stores. You can buy directly from Scanguage.com Carl (DesertDog) can answer the question better than myself as he significantly contributed to its development.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:23 PM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: New owner here.....

Well............it's true! MMH's really do exist. I was beginning to wonder. I ordered ours back on Sept 2007 and took delivery this week, Jan 2008 (about 4 months).

2008 MMH, 2WD, silver, leather, nav, moon/tune/sirrius radio, elec outlet, remote start, radio controls on the steering wheel ... and yes, since I ordered it before the price increase that took place in the fall 2007, I was not charged the higher price. At time of ordering our dealer also gave us a deal that was UNDER invoice (yep, you heard me ... no markup for "market adjustments" that some dealers were charging and a price that was below MSRP!) so we got it well under MSRP. We did pass on the ambient lighting option (colored cupholders and colored feet areas) and chose to put the $295 towards floor mats.

Will need to keep my fingers crossed that the tax credit will work in our favor once 2008 tax returns are completed, especially since our family won't see a dime of the new proposed "tax rebates (aka: redistribution of wealth)" that the government is looking to dish out this 2008 election year! But that's another story!

Anyway, am enjoying the car. Extremely quiet, too! Have a lot to read and learn. Thanks to many of you for your comments and questions which helps. Did order floor mats (weathertech for the front 2-rows and Husky for a cargo mat as weathertech does not design a cargo mat for the 2008 MMH/FEH whereas Husky does). Still looking for a dash mat. The button to open the back window was a pleasant surprise, seat heater buttons on the front dash are convenient, and I'm sure there is more that I have yet to discover and read about.

One of my teenage son's is 6'2" tall and has sat in the back seat and said he has plenty of room for his legs even with the driver's seat pushed way back. He still has some head room although he feels it is a little close too close for his head.

I'm hoping I can get the MPG up in the 30 range, but I believe I've read that it takes several miles to break it in? Any thoughts about keeping the speed below a certain level for the first 500 miles to "break in an engine" or is that just an old thought?

It's been an adventure!

Old 01-26-2008, 09:17 AM
Active Enthusiast

I got mine for well under MSRP too, $500 over dealer invoice

Quick Reply: New owner here.....

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands