New Escape Hybrid Owner Confused

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2022, 03:57 PM
Enthusiast
Default New Escape Hybrid Owner Confused

Just bought an ‘09 Escape Hybrid Limited, and love it so far. A couple things I can’t figure out, despite reading all the manuals plus extensive googling:

I can’t set the clock. I have the SYNC nav system, and when I go to set the clock according to the instructions in the manual, the controls to set the clock—the plus and minus buttons—are greyed out. AM/PM and 12 vs 24 hour are greyed out too.

There is no time currently set, just dashes where the time would appear. I’ve done a system reset, tried it with the car on/off, radio on/off, phone connected and not, nothing works.

I’ve been able to use the radio, play music through USB, add a phone, but none of the maps and nav stuff works, and it reports NO GPS. I would assume that in order to make that stuff work I would have subscribe to something, but the manual doesn’t say. What do I need ho do to get the maps? I may not bother, but it would be nice to know.

Surely I don’t have to subscribe to anything to get the clock to work, no?

thanks for any help.

Old 02-19-2022, 12:14 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New Escape Hybrid Owner Confused

Your car has the NAV system (so does my 2010 Limited) and I believe the clock is automatically set and synchronized through GPS, which allows the NAV system to function. There's no subscription but your GPS antenna has to work and it could also be a number of submodules like the GPSM, APIM (Accessory Protocol Interface Module), etc.. You need to:

1) Get FORScan
2) Pull the codes

Before you do either of those: Make sure you have a KNOWN GOOD, STRONG 12V battery with GOOD CLEAN CONNECTORS and TERMINALS in the car. Many 12V system problems come back to a weak 12v battery. Then:

Report back the codes and we can go from there. What does the time display on top of the dashboard in the little "cubbyspace" show? It should pick up the time and date from the NAV system and display it, but the basic clock setting comes from GPS. You may be able to perform a master reset by disconnecting the 12V battery negative ground for one full minute, reattaching it, and then navigating to "SYSTEM SETTINGS" and performing a full reset, which may or may not help. My guess is that your GPS antenna is not working or else it is another module that should appear in the DTC codes when you pull them.

Last edited by AlexK; 02-19-2022 at 05:56 AM.
Old 02-21-2022, 11:09 AM

Hmmm. I'm looking at the supplemental manual for a 2009 and it doesn't mention the GPS being *required* just to set the basic TIME. You say your NAV isn't working, but try selecting either 12 or 24 hour format and tell us what happens. They're not "greyed out" it appears that neither are selected. It's also a bit strange because your display does not match the one shown on page 28 of 194 here:

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/F.../09ngnsn2e.pdf

It is definitely not showing the Month, Day, Year and Time Zone, which suggests to me that the GPS antenna is not picking up anything.

Last edited by AlexK; 02-21-2022 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-21-2022, 11:23 AM

Why the codes are important, This is from a 2011 model but I doubt the 2009 differs in any significant way (knock wood.)

"A splitter is used in the lower satellite radio antenna cable to split the signals between the satellite radio and the navigation system. It is possible that a concern in the GPS signal line after the splitter may cause a navigation system concern without affecting the satellite radio.
  • DTC B119F:01 ( GPS Antenna: General Electrical Failure) — sets when any failure is detected in the GPS antenna circuit.
  • DTC B119F:13 ( GPS Antenna: Circuit Open) — sets when an open is detected in the GPS antenna circuit.
This pinpoint test is intended to diagnose the following:
  • Satellite radio antenna cable
  • Satellite/NAV antenna
  • ACM"

Last edited by AlexK; 02-21-2022 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-21-2022, 11:31 AM

The following photos may help. You should be able to perform these diagnostics on the DTCs and PIDs with FORScan.

Old 02-22-2022, 05:26 AM

Finally, if you decide to replace the sat. antenna cable (including lower cable) here is a photo and instructions. Note that this does *NOT* replace the GPS module itself - just the antenna. Doing the GPS module apparently requires removal of the passenger side front airbag - which it "lives behind." Here's hoping your problem is something simple, cheap and comparatively quick like antenna and/or cables.

Old 02-22-2022, 10:13 AM
Enthusiast

Hi Alex:

Thanks so much for all the information, and for the tip about FORscan, which I have now set up. FYI, there is no time displayed in the "pod," the 12/24 hour buttons do nothing when pressed, and do seem to be greyed out. If I open maps, I get an icon saying NO GPS, so at the very least, my GPS is definitely not happening.

Also FYI, I have discovered two problems that are no big deal but I am aware are common: My ignition module is going (have to press key in to start), and at least one of my blend door actuators is acting up. I doubt either of these is related to the GPS.

I got no GPS-specific trouble codes, but I did not know about the pinpoint tests, so I'll go back and see if I can do those. I would suspect you are correct about the antenna. Here are the codes FORscan hit. I have one related to the hybrid battery, three related to the audio control module (including one referencing the satellite antenna), and one referencing the blend door.

EDIT: FYI, I am receiving no warning lights on the dash and everything seems to be working fine, besides the clock.

Code: P0AA7 - Hybrid Battery Voltage Isolation Sensor Circuit
- DTC Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC
Module: Battery Control Module

Code: B11BA - Steering Wheel Audio Switch Pack
Additional Fault Symptom:
- Circuit Voltage Out Of Range
- Previously Set DTC - Not Present at Time of Request
- Test not complete
Module: Audio Control Module

Code: B1201 - Steering Wheel Audio Switch Pack 2
- Circuit Voltage Out Of Range
- Previously Set DTC - Not Present at Time of Request
- Test not complete

Code: B1A89 - Satellite Antenna
- Circuit Open

Code: B12A7 - Mode Door Actuator, Slow or Door Obstructed
Module: Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning

Last edited by Naverill; 02-22-2022 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-22-2022, 10:55 AM

Square Zero: I would spring for a brand new 12V battery. I say that because you are getting "voltage out of range" DTCs. Clean the terminals and install a NEW one. Under $100 if you shop around. Get the right size. You'll have a warranty. Even if you intend to sell the car, putting a new 12V battery in it is a good idea and you can use that money and warranty as a bargaining chip in the sale process. The one in my car was the original and failed last year. Remember, these *appear to* last LONGER on the Hybrids because the cars have no conventional starter motor and when they start to get weak, it's not always as apparent. Therefore the battery might "seem" OK but in reality it's a weak pushover. Then you start seeing these weird out of range voltage problems. When they "go" - they go FAST. Mine went from OK to DEAD in 6 hours.

First things first: You are seeing B1A89 - Satellite Antenna Circuit Open which is: ."Set by the navigation ACM when any fault is detected in the satellite radio antenna circuit. This DTC can be either continuous or on-demand."

I am strongly biased that M3 is your problem.

The problem with having to push in the ignition key is the SWITCH. There are various ways to fix this from the normal semi-expensive and time consuming dealer way entailing removing the steering wheel to the "redneck emergency" way. But it's plausible it could be contributing to your problem.

Here is the "redneck way." It won't last forever, but it will work temporarily and you can then save up the money to do it the right way.

https://electricvehicleforums.com/fo...roblems-32540/

Another "slightly unorthodox but it works" way:

You say you just bought the car. The blend mode doors moving slowly may be just because the car was sitting and they're a little sluggish. It may be possible to get in there and spray some lubrication on the hinges but I've never tried it. I think you should try the above first and then tackle the mode doors.

The P0AA7 is a ... whole ... different ... can ... of ... worms. May be nothing, may be you will be getting rid of the car.

Try the above first.

Last edited by AlexK; 02-22-2022 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-22-2022, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Naverill
EDIT: FYI, I am receiving no warning lights on the dash and everything seems to be working fine, besides the clock.
That's good. Let's see if we can get the clock working and the GPS/Satellite antenna DTC to go away, make sure we've got a real good battery in there, and then on to the next ones. Method is everything. One problem at a time until you fix everything, find something unfixable, and/or run out of money, patience and time. Lol. That's how it goes with these cars, particularly the NAV system Limited models but not, er, LIMITED to them. It would be a shame to see this one go because it looks like you've got a very nice, clear, colorful and otherwise functional display after all this time, and FoMoCo is not making any more of them.

Best of luck!

Last edited by AlexK; 02-22-2022 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-22-2022, 11:17 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AlexK
That's good. Let's see if we can get the clock fixed and the GPS/Satellite antenna DTC to go away, make sure we've got a real good battery in there, and then on to the next ones. Method is everything. One problem at a time until you fix everything, find something unfixable, and/or run out of money, patience and time. Lol.

Best of luck!
thanks again! I’ll check back in after I have applied your sage advice!

Quick Reply: New Escape Hybrid Owner Confused

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands