Need Stop Safely Now Insight

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 01:22 PM
Feral Engineer
Default Re: Need Stop Safely Now Insight

Needless to say, this sucks. For sure, get all the old parts back so you can see what was replaced and whether the labor charge seems reasonable.

Some of us feel like we are paying for the tech's hybrid training if we take our FEHs to the dealer.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by bob95fxdl
Well, after finally getting my FEH to the stealership (since neither the on-board nor the SGII found anything wrong), they determined that the HV battery harness had given out. Sounds weird, but I'm not the wrench working on it.

Has anyone else encountered this situation? Additionally, any idea how many hours (per their shop manual) it should take to replace it? Not that I don't trust them (but I don't), but I don't want to get tagged for unnecessary labor. They originally quoted me $430, but when the bill shows up, who knows?

Any additional thoughts are appreciated.
If this is the harness inside the pack, Ford sent a lot of us a letter and set a date to get this replaced by. I had mine replaced and the dealer reflashed the battery module as part of the fix at no charge. I got my '05 FEH back the same day.

GaryG

Old 12-20-2010, 06:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Final update on my situation:
It did turn out to be that battery harness for the HV battery that was involved in the Tech Bulletin/recall. Thanks to Gary and others who pointed me in that direction. Then came the fun part with the dealer:

When I got the FEH back, they had charged me for over four hours of labor. The harness itself was only about $18 and change. Anyway, the bill was well over $400. I challenged the bill. The Svc Mgr assured me the price was accurate. Until I showed him the Ford message that specified 2.4 hours, that is. He then proceeded to tapdance around it, telling me that Ford specified different time scales for the work, depending on whether it was under warranty. He got real red when I flatly asked, "So you're telling me that it takes longer to change the battery if the car isn't under warranty? What do you use, a trainee mechanic?" After embarrassing him, he agreed to change the hours to what was laid out in the message.

Thanks to those who let me know about this little scam. I hope no one else goes through this practice, but the head's up is always good.

Everyone have a great Christmas and New Year!!

Old 12-20-2010, 07:07 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

That's one big problem with a state of the art vehicle... they expect you to have to pay for a newbie mechanic to learn how to service it.

Congrats for standing up to him. I would have paid it, got pi$$ed off and never come back again.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:14 PM
Enthusiast

I'm having a similar issue at temps of around 20F. Did the hv harness relive your issue?