Need a Nav CD!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 05:21 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Need a Nav CD!

I don't know how or where, but somebody walked off with our Map #2 for the Northwest. Does anybody know where to get just that CD for our 06? Navteq wants to rip people off for $208 for the entire set, with no single CDs available. (Guess who's going with Garmin technology the next time around.)

I refuse to give them a dime based upon that.

Old 06-13-2006, 06:01 PM
Enthusiast
Talking Re: Need a Nav CD!

I sell you mine for $30 including shipping.

Old 06-13-2006, 09:56 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Need a Nav CD!

Has anybody tried to make a backup copy of their Nav CDs. I will try this in the next few days and see how it works. If it does work, I can send you a copy of that CD. It would certainly not be copyright infringement, as you did pay for the system and initial CDs.

Old 06-14-2006, 05:37 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by elwood58
Has anybody tried to make a backup copy of their Nav CDs. I will try this in the next few days and see how it works. If it does work, I can send you a copy of that CD. It would certainly not be copyright infringement, as you did pay for the system and initial CDs.
You can make a backup... I did it with Nero. I made sure to close the sessions afterwards.

However..... Somewhere I thought someone said the disks have to be a "set" and can't be broken up. Something like the first disk contains a "cipher" key that is installed when it is put in the drive. The rest of the disks must have the same key to work.

Is that true? I have no idea because I've never used a broken set. If you make a copy and it works for you but not for him/her (sorry I didn't check the orginal posters gender) that might be why.

Old 06-14-2006, 05:39 AM

The other possibility is that what the earlier poster MEANT was that the disks all have to be the exact same revision to work together.

I'm not sure which it is, copyright protection or different versions of the software. You can certainly see why diffferent versions would give it fits though.

Old 06-14-2006, 01:12 PM
Enthusiast

I did made a copy of my NAV Cd using Nero. I keep the original in glove compartment and use the Copy. The only problem I have is time to time NAV system says it is a corrupted CD or the location is not on the CD. I eject the CD and put it back it starts working. Couple of times ejecting wasn't enough, it started working after tuning the car off and on. Go figure. I don't trust CD's, they get scratched too easily, I prefer to use a copy.Onur

Old 06-14-2006, 04:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well i would certainly be happy to try a burned CD from another set. The #2 map is really the only one we need and I would be happy to reimburse for postage etc.

Old 06-14-2006, 07:27 PM

If you have any problems with it recognizing the disc. reinsert it. Somehow I messed up my first burn without knowing it, it completely locked up the NAV. It wouldn't even recognize a real disc afterwards. All I had to do to reset it was to turn the car off and then back on though so if you try the CD and it doesn't work, don't panic.

Old 06-14-2006, 08:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well after three weeks of playing the 'where could it be?' game, I finally resorted to looking in the one place I had trusted my wife to have looked before - and found it! Grrrrrr... I virtually tore the car apart looking for it before. I should have known better than to overlook the obvious CD holder on the visor! What can I say? Her car, her CDs, I figured she knew what was there!!!

That said, I'm going to burn some discs!

Old 06-14-2006, 08:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

This story just got a little more interesting. It seems that my wife had actually checked and cleaned out the holder to where there was just one CD in it until two days ago. My 7 year old daughter however (after being asked repeatedly about possible whereabouts of the NAV disc) insisted on putting some of her CDs into the car just yesterday. Oddly, the NAV CD was double stacked behind one of these newly placed CDs. I think she sensed immenent danger at the threat of us cleaning her room this week.

Quick Reply: Need a Nav CD!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands