Navigation system operation

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 02:59 PM
Enthusiast
Default Navigation system operation

We just purchased an 07 FEH. Want to use the navigation system, but the "home" location is the dealer's address which is a long way from here. Does anyone know how to set the home location to our real home location?

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-05-2006, 03:22 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Navigation system operation

Push and hold the "Home" button. It will set the current location to "home"

Old 11-05-2006, 03:23 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks, we will give that a try.

Old 11-06-2006, 12:31 AM
Prof. of Hybridology

Do that in your driveway, BTW. It sets wherever you are as home.

Keep in mind, you can always use that to set locations that aren't home for one touch navigation options. On vacation at a hotel? Set the hotel as home, to make it easy to find your way back to it after a night on the town. Some people have set it to work, or other locations just for convienance, since they know how to get home without the nav system.

And Welcome to GH.

Old 12-14-2006, 10:05 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Navigation system operation

I hope everyone has already lowered their expectations towards the NAV portion of the Visteon unit.....but here is a recently posted TSB regarding same.

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Ford/1165...-15/23151.html

Reading between the lines....it appears that some Ford technicians were removing and replacing NAV units when the real "problems" were in the 'Audio Control Protocol Module'.

Also, the statement: "Under no circumstances should you use an update CD on an Escape Hybrid," is curious.

Old 12-14-2006, 11:08 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Thanks for that data. The statement below is probably due to the fact that you (or they ) may corrupt the hybrid energy flow screens in the process, something not present in other models.

This is all about the Navigation internal CONTROL software, and does not concern using updated map disks.

My 2005 FEH came with 2004 version map disks.
I now own a set of 2005 maps ( which came with the 2006 FEH ) and they work flawlessly.
-John

Originally Posted by glennb

Also, the statement: "Under no circumstances should you use an update CD on an Escape Hybrid," is curious.

Old 12-15-2006, 04:26 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
My 2005 FEH came with 2004 version map disks.
I now own a set of 2005 maps ( which came with the 2006 FEH ) and they work flawlessly.
-John
My 2007 MMH came with the 2005 maps.

I am not too sure what you mean by works, since they are 2 years old already, and quite out-of-date.

Maps, like milk and bread, go stale quickly. I would not be happy if I went grocery shopping, and upon getting home, found that the milk I just bought, was 2 years old.

Old 12-15-2006, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by glennb
I hope everyone has already lowered their expectations towards the NAV portion of the Visteon unit.....but here is a recently posted TSB regarding same.

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Ford/1165...-15/23151.html

Reading between the lines....it appears that some Ford technicians were removing and replacing NAV units when the real "problems" were in the 'Audio Control Protocol Module'.

I like the warning...

"Do not reprogram software unless a customer has purchased a map upgrade..."

Ford sells me two year old, stale, maps discs, and then tells me the fix is I have to purchase current ones! Yea, right Ford!

GM gives each of their customers three map discs sets. One when you buy, a second a year after purchase, and a third two years after purchase.

Old 12-18-2006, 10:00 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Navigation system operation

Walt -

I have had an Alpine, DVD-based, NAV in my Acura for over 5 years now and my experience driving up and down the east coast is that not having the very latest maps did not prevent me from getting real value out of the unit. It is especially useful when we are travelling someplace we have never been before - even if hiway exit numbers have changed, etc. There could also be some differences in the GUI and logic designs Visteon and Alpine use in their systems - because they all buy their maps from the same few companies (Navteq, etc.) I believe the way the Acura system is designed - it was easy for me to account for the rare occassion that the map was out-of-date. (multiple references for each road and/or exit)

That said, I recently purchased the update DVD for $99 (one DVD covers the entire Continental US). The system re-booted and I'm on my way. I suspect they have crammed more Points Of Interest info on the new DVD because I notice it takes the 6 year-old processor more time to sort through what I believe is an increased amount of data.

Old 12-18-2006, 11:46 AM

I have had my Garmin for several years, and I have kept its maps up to date. I have never had it fail to get me to my destination. In contrast, I found the FEH/MMH unit, to be bad because it has failed to get me to my destination, 2 out of 3 times.

I want to use a NAV system for places I have never been. It doesn't help me one bit if the map data is wrong. I just went thru this, with the road the NAV system wanted me to be on, did not exist anymore. And it had no idea of the new "replacement" road.

That keeps happening to me, and that really makes the NAV system substaintially unreliable. I mean, a NAV system that might get me to my destination, or equally might not, is of limited use.

In your example, what if it isn't that the exit numbers have changed, but instead moved? You passed the new exit because the NAV system failed to tell you to exit, you find the exit it is telling to use closed and barricaded, and the next exit isn't for another 20 miles? Is that really good navigation?

And, it is only going to get worse! With no new map disks from Ford in the CD format, the map data is just going to more and more stale.

Quick Reply: Navigation system operation

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands