navigation doesnt work

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 05:57 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: navigation doesnt work

Originally Posted by WaltPA
I thought it just used the speed sensors (VSS) and its own built-in compass for direction. Certainly, that is enough for all the "dead reckoning" it needs when it doesn't have immediate GPS satellite data. Gyros would, to me, be a very expensive alternative with very little overall system improvement.
In post #16 gpsman1 shows a screen with a gyro adjustment on the system, so it appears to have some sort of gyro system...

The MEMS based gyros are actually realtively inexpensive. The one I posted is $30, i'm sure there are cheaper.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

well got the anttena, had the wrong end on it for my radio but i cut it off and installed the one from the oem anttena, havent tried it yet but just sitting in the driveway no signal picked up, hot its the right one, anyone have an oem there net using?? i might have to just take it in under my extended warranty, have to pay a 50$ copay but better that 1000 for a new radio right now.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by c0ugar69
well got the anttena, had the wrong end on it for my radio ...
Are you sure you even got the correct replacement antenna? If it has the wrong connector on it, I have some doubts.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

i dont know if it was right or not but the unit still isnt working, I give up. May just take it to the dealer or get a new unit like the pioneer or the kenwood. I did the diagnostics on it and the anttena passed, it picked up satellite 2 but still wouldnt work. i will call and see how much an oem anttena is on monday if they are open.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by c0ugar69
... , it picked up satellite 2 but still wouldnt work.
Don't GPS systems need at least 2 satellites, if not 3?

Old 12-23-2007, 05:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

Generally speaking, one needs:
  • 3 satellites for two dimensional navigation
  • 4 satellites for two dimensional nav plus altitude positioning
or, one less satellite for each of the above cases, but adding in a calibrated barometric altitude source.

Gets a bit trickier, i.e additional satellite requirement, for FAA approved equipment that is certified for instrument flight.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:07 PM
Enthusiast

c0ugar69:

Don't give up quite yet. You might want to take the unit to the dealer, and have it updated with new software. That may solve your problem (and it will cost less than a new unit). I am kinda in the same boat that you are. I bought a used 2006 FEH with NAV, and am having problems. I posted a question to justanswer.com about the nav system not tracking properly and received a reply from a Ford technician that a technical service bulletin (TSB) had been issued regarding the NAV system in Escape Hybrids. I have attached a listing of the TSB for you to see if it applies to your problems.

Note that it states that an update CD should not be used on the Escape Hybrid. Apparently, a different (hardware) method can be used for the FEH.

I checked with my local dealer and it would cost $95 to have this done (my car is out of warranty). Hope this helps both of us.

Jim

TSB 06-23-15
12/06/06
SERVICE TIPS FOR OPTIONAL NAVIGATION SYSTEM RADIO
FORD:
2003-2007 Expedition
2005-2007 Escape Hybrid
MERCURY:
2006-2007 Mariner Hybrid
This article supersedes TSB 06-5-15 to update the vehicle model years.
ISSUE
Some 2005-2007 Escape Hybrid, 2006-2007 Mariner Hybrid, and 2003-2007 Expedition vehicles equipped with optional Navigation systems may exhibit concerns of the Navigation display locking up, periodic rebooting concerns and a lack of accuracy of location information. Escape Hybrids may also experience loss of HEV power flow display and fuel economy screen displays.
ACTION
The following Service Procedure will assist with diagnosis and prevent the replacement of good components.
SERVICE PROCEDURE
1.Navigation radio software update procedures:
Under no circumstances should you use an update CD on an Escape Hybrid. On 2003-2004 model year Expeditions, do not update the Radio software unless the update disc is part of a complete set of Navigation Map Discs/DVD. Only those map discs should be used with the update included with the set. The map CD's and the update disc's are matched sets.

View Full Image
The table above shows compatible audio / navigational software version numbers for the Hybrid Escape and Expedition navigation radios. These software version numbers can be accessed through a menu on the navigational unit, refer to 2006 Expedition Workshop Manual, Section 419-07 for more details. This table may be helpful in determining whether the software on a particular navigational unit has been incorrectly updated in the past.
NOTE DO NOT REPROGRAM SOFTWARE UNLESS A CUSTOMER HAS PURCHASED A MAP UPGRADE AND IT IS REQUIRED FOR AN 03/04 EXPEDITION.

2.Hybrid fuel economy / PowerFlow screen display issues:

These functions are unique to the HEV navigation radio. Following these tips will prevent the unnecessary replacement of good parts.
^If the PowerFlow screen or Fuel Economy screens do not display, or have no information shown, the radio itself is not likely defective
^The wiring to the gateway-SCP module (also referred to as the Audio Control Protocol Module) and the gateway-SCP module itself should be inspected. Specifically, Connectors C2294 (A and B) at the Gateway module, and Connector C229c at the navigation radio should be checked for issues such as pushed out pins, connector fully seated and pin fit
^Continuity should be measured on circuits 833, 856, and 1068 between the connectors mentioned above
^Powers and grounds to the gateway-SCP module should also be checked
^The gateway module itself should also be inspected for damage before replacing the radio
^If another HEV unit is available, swapping the gateway-SCP module can determine if the module is functioning correctly
3.Navigation disc care and handling:

For some concerns of the navigation display locking up, periodic rebooting, blank screen, no vehicle cursor display, vehicle cursor display with no map screen display, and inability to eject disc maybe caused by dirty or damaged CDs. In most cases dirty or scratched map CDs are the likely cause of the listed concerns and can be detected with the "CDROM status" diagnostic function test.
NOTE INFORMATION DISCS ARE MOR[ SENSITIVE TO CLEANLINESS AND CONDITION THAN AUDIO DISCS. TO CLEAN DISCS, USE A SOFT, NONABRASIVE, LINT FREE CLOTH. DO NOT CLEAN THE DISC IN A CIRCULAR MOTION. CLEAN THE DISC FROM THE INNER HUB TO THE OUTSIDE TO MINIMIZE SCRATCHING. DO NOT USE A CLEANING SOLUTION ON DISCS. IF POSSIBLE, TRY KNOWN GOOD DISCS FROM ANOTHER VEHICLE IN SUSPECT UNIT.

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
DEALER CODING