Does Nav have voice-command?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 11:50 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Does Nav have voice-command?

I recently read a CNet review where it said the MMH didn't have voice-command on the navigation system.
Is this true?

Old 12-17-2007, 12:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Does Nav have voice-command?

As far as I know neither the '08 FEH or MMH have voice command. While the Navi will talk to you, it won't hear your screams...

There are rumors floating around that the '09 models will get the Sync system but I'll believe it when I see it.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:49 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MyPart
As far as I know neither the '08 FEH or MMH have voice command. While the Navi will talk to you, it won't hear your screams...

There are rumors floating around that the '09 models will get the Sync system but I'll believe it when I see it.
Thanks. I guess what I meant is that the Nav will give you directions via voice commands.
You did answer my question. Thanks again!
I wish it had Sync though too.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:03 PM

I'd settle for integrated Bluetooth for hands free phone. While I have a headset, I'd much rather have it built in (even better if there were stearing wheel audio controlls).

In my line of work, on the rare occasions that I have to drive somewhere, I still have to take calls. Otherwise, I'd just pass them on to voicemail.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:06 PM

I'd settle for integrated Bluetooth for hands free phone. While I have a headset, I'd much rather have it built in .
I agree. When I removed the factory NAV from my 06 FEH, I replaced it with an aftermarket NAV/DVD/mp3/Sirius/backup camera etc. unit. That unit also has integrated Bluetooth & it is awesome.

I used a BT headset previously, but the built in BT is SO MUCH better.........

~John

Old 12-18-2007, 05:45 AM

I believe the '08 Escape/Mariner is the only redesigned model that Ford sells, which doesn't offer Sync. Even the lower end Focus, offers it. IMHO, it might be due to Mazda designed steering wheel, unique to just the Escape/Mariner (well, and Tribute too).

For my '07, I simply added a bluetooth module. The factory Nav system has an input for a phone, and the bluetooth module takes advantage of it.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by WaltPA
The factory Nav system has an input for a phone
Can you expound on this? I have an '08 but I'm not aware of any specific input for a phone, just the universal audio input (input only I believe).

I do see in the NAVI where you can store phone numbers in the address book but I though that was pretty much useless. I do know (from the hidden diagnostic screen) that there are a lot of listed functions that aren't enabled on the '08 NAVI so maybe those will be '09 features.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:05 AM

Can you expound on this? I have an '08 but I'm not aware of any specific input for a phone, just the universal audio input (input only I believe).
I think you missed the first part of that statement where I specifically mentioned I have an '07.

Look at one of the couple of photos stored in the photo section here, like Accessory Jack photo, and notice the "phone mute", "phone audio+", and "phone audio-" inputs. However, just remember, these are for the '07 and earlier Nav.

Last edited by WaltPA; 12-18-2007 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:52 AM

I didn't miss that. I just wondered what your '07 had and was commenting on what the '08 has. I didn't realize that you were talking about the wiring on the backside of the unit.

Thanks for the link to the picture. It was worth 1000 words. Now I'm off to research if the '08 has similar inputs.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

I didn't miss that. I just wondered what your '07 had and was commenting on what the '08 has. I didn't realize that you were talking about the wiring on the backside of the unit.

Thanks for the link to the picture. It was worth 1000 words. Now I'm off to research if the '08 has similar inputs.
MyPart, did you find something like this for an 08? If I could make my phone bluetooth, with the factory radio it would be great!

Quick Reply: Does Nav have voice-command?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands