Navigation CD Player problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 01:57 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Navigation CD Player problem

Yesterday I burned a backup duplicate copy of one of the Navigation CDs that came with the system. When I inserted the burned copy, the system says: "your cd is scratched or is unreadable, please insert the Navigation CD when you are ready"

I re-burned a couple more, used Windows to verify the integrity of the burn, they are fine but the Navigation CD Deck just wont recognize the burned CDs.

Are there any specific CDs that this deck recognizes? I dont want to have to use the original CDs at all times because when if they get scratched, misplaced or stolen? I dont know how much replacement CDs cost but I somehow dont think they are cheap.

Has anyone had any luck with duplicating the original CDs?

Old 08-29-2006, 04:50 PM
reformed speed demon
Default Re: Navigation CD Player problem

i do think some members have been able to burn copies of cds, so it might just have to do with the duplication program you're using. as for replacement, your auto insurance should cover them if stolen as they are considered a part of your vehicle. mine were stolen in december when my car was broken into and replacement cost would have been about $250 plus shipping costs. my insurance company (state farm) actually fronted me the money for replacements, rather than me buying on my own and then submitting receipts for reimbursement.

Old 08-29-2006, 05:28 PM
occ
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

If your CD burner can, try both the R- and R+ disk.

Also, try burning at slower x2 or x4 speed (instead of using max).

DVD player/disks have this problem, and sometimes are sensitive to media quality.

CD however, should be much more robust. I think it may the the R- R+ format issue.

Also, did you notice any copywrite/copy protection notice from your disk copy software? Burning using Windows' drag-n-drop may not be the best thing when the disk is copy protected.

(I meant to try this myself, for backup purposes...I'll let you know if it works for me)

Good luck.

Old 08-29-2006, 07:10 PM
Energy Independence

I haven't done this yet, either (for my HCH2 with NAV).
Some CD and DVD players are picky about the COLOR of the dye. Trying other brands/dye colors may work.
I have an old Kenwood CD player that will NOT play any CDR with purple dye color. Other colors are OK. Something about the CD player's laser pickup not being tuned to the color's light wavelength.

Old 08-29-2006, 07:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ok I went to the store today, and bought a couple of super-expensive Fujifilm CDs labeled as "Maximum Performance Archival Quality CD-R." They work after the burn!

The navigation picked up the CD in an instant, so my problem has been solved, phew... thanks for all your feedback

Old 08-29-2006, 10:38 PM
occ

Just to follow up, I went home and tried backing up my Nav CD. I used three types ( two were -R, and one was -RW). I didnt have any +R.

Interestingly enough, the -RW (some old CompUSA brand) did not work.

The Memorex brand -R did not work, although the Nav took a good 10 sec longer to say it did not work.

The other -R (KHypermedia) I got bulk (100 cnt) spindle works like a charm.

The -RW is a darker gray dye. The Memorex has a bluish dye, and the one that works looks the lightest clear color (confirms Gumby's observations).

I guess to be safe, buy the clear dye ones if you have FEH/MMH Nav system.

Old 09-16-2006, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Originally Posted by occ
If your CD burner can, try both the R- and R+ disk.

CD however, should be much more robust. I think it may the the R- R+ format issue.
CD's have both plus and minus R like DVDs? CDs have CD-RWs which are Read Write/eraseable and CD-Rs that are write once but I don't think CDs have a +/-R option, do they?

Old 09-17-2006, 09:02 AM
occ

Originally Posted by lakedude
CD's have both plus and minus R like DVDs? CDs have CD-RWs which are Read Write/eraseable and CD-Rs that are write once but I don't think CDs have a +/-R option, do they?
Yeah, you're probably right...I'm used to the DVD stuffs and forgot about the CDs. Explained why I dont have any CD+R.