Nav System Screen Protector???

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 05:23 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Nav System Screen Protector???

Originally Posted by scandi1
Yes, you're right, I meant the screen protector; since the Prius isn't a touch screen, does the screen protector reduce glare or make it more visible in bright sunlight/? Can one just find the clear coating film that they put on watch crystals to protect them? I don't know what it is called, but it would be shiny, and not non glare. I do find that since I like driving with the windows open, it does become dusty and then makes it difficult to see in bright sunlight.
There are anti-glare protectors and crystal clear protectors, depending on one's needs. I usually get optically clear ones even on handheld GPS units and such that get direct sunlight. My primary use of screen protectors is to minimize the risk of scratches and reduce the need to wipe down the screen (even with just a microfiber towel as mentioned) often due to dust, pollen, finger oils, etc. I've even touched my screen while illustrating something to someone, so even non touchscreens get touched now and then. Finger oils make the screen harder to view especially in sunlight, so I like the barrier (and for some reason most protector films/covers dont hold finger oils quite as obviously as a plain screen does.

PS: I thought the Prius had a touch screen energy display? Guess I didn't read the literature enough when I was poking around Toyota's site. Or maybe it was the Honda Civic Hybrid? Something has a touch screen... I thought!

Last edited by GeekGal; 05-18-2006 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scandi1
Yes, you're right, I meant the screen protector; since the Prius isn't a touch screen, does the screen protector reduce glare or make it more visible in bright sunlight/? Can one just find the clear coating film that they put on watch crystals to protect them? I don't know what it is called, but it would be shiny, and not non glare. I do find that since I like driving with the windows open, it does become dusty and then makes it difficult to see in bright sunlight.

scandi,

Prius multi-function display is touch screen if you have navigation or not. I just bought screen protector from ebay and I don't know it is anti-glare or not. I let you as soon as I get it.

Old 05-19-2006, 01:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

Both 2006 Civic Hybrid with navigation, all Toyota Prius (from 2001-2006) and 2007 Toyota Camry with Navigation have touch screen.

Last edited by TMCHAN; 05-19-2006 at 01:16 AM.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:36 AM
Enthusiast

Of course, it is a touch screen; what can I say? It does get all dusty, and the finger prints are annoying. I use the eyeglass cleaner swabs, and that works well, but perhaps a shiney surface would help that, but won't it cause glare, also>? I'll have to try some of the magnetized plastic. Let me know.

Old 06-07-2006, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by GeekGal
I don't have them yet, but I've read very good reviews (high legibility, no adverse affect to touch screen sensitivity, etc.) of the screen protectors called Clear Touch Crystal. There's also a Clear Touch Anti-Glare version.

I have two ordered and am awaiting delivery -- one specifically for my Garmin Streetpilot 2720 portable GPS unit (which has a touch screen), and one that I think will fit my Ford Escape Hybrid navigation radio's screen (not a touch screen, but still people poke at it!) -- my FEH's screen is 4" diagonal so I just searched online for a PDA that had that screen dimension. In this case, I think the HP iPAQ hx4705 PDA's screen protector will fit perfectly.

I'll post a followup when I have it and apply it. The site I link above lets you submit a request if they don't have a screen protector for something you own, like my Garmin 60CSx (handheld GPS, mostly for hiking/geocaching). All of us hybrid owners should request screen protectors for our various makes/models of hybrids and I'm sure they'll start carrying ones in the proper dimensions. Otherwise, improvisation works for now. I don't think I'll have to trim the HP one down at all to fit my FEH's screen.

Did these arrive yet? Thoughts?

Old 06-07-2006, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by GatorJ
Did these arrive yet? Thoughts?
Sorry I neglected to post an update on the screen protectors I linked. Yes, they did come in.

I'm having issues with the protector on my Streetpilot 2720 and have not yet applied the other one to my Escape Hybrid's Nav screen. I guess due to the Texas heat, it just won't grip the edges of my Streetpilot (which lives on my dash; used to be on a suction mount until that let go while I was driving and put a dime sized scratch in my dash; back to using the included 'bean bag mount') Anyway, I haven't tried to pry the protector off the Streetpilot yet but I want to.

I *may* be responsible for the poor fit because I didn't read the directions thoroughly and used a standard LCD screen cleaner before applying, being sure the screen was dry before proceeding. For whatever reason, the instructions specifically state NOT to wet or clean the screen with anything but a soft cloth. Oops.

Needless to say, I haven't tried the protector on my Escape Hybrid's Nav screen until I figure out if my issues with the other protector are user error or product-related. The protectors are very good quality, but if I can't get them to stick and stay stuck fully in my vehicle through a Texas summer, they aren't as useful as I'd hoped.

P.S. After Googling all the various goodies you'd added to your FEH, I bought a pair of those Valeo Ultimate Windshield Wiper Blades. Awesome! I was already fed up with the stock blades... they kept streaking and causing me to waste windshield washer fluid anytime a little bug splatted against my field of view. Those Valeo blades went on quicker than I've ever installed blades before on any vehicle, and they look sweet. Can't report on functionality (beyond wiping off washer fluid spray) and since it's summer, it could be awhile before I encounter rain to report on that.

Last edited by GeekGal; 06-07-2006 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:28 PM

GG: Ever find anything you were happy with?

Old 07-05-2006, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by GatorJ
GG: Ever find anything you were happy with?
I can't say that I've looked since my last post, but I did manage to easily pry off the Clear Touch Crystal screen protector I'd already applied to my Streetpilot 2720's touchscreen. Removal of the protector from my Streetpilot 2720 was easy -- just the edge of heavy stock paper inserted near the edge of the screen protector and I got a purchase on it and peeled it off. So I'm not as worried about applying my other protector to the FEH's nav screen, I just haven't gotten around to it.

Before I attempt an application in my FEH, I am probably going to buy another protector of the same brand and try another application of it to my Streetpilot's touchscreen -- this time following the directions. I'll see if that sticks better than the first one I did, and if it does, I'll feel keen on applying the protector to my FEH's nav screen.

My replacement for the Garmin will be an anti-glare protector, however; I wasn't keen on the increased amount of glare I was getting off the Garmin's touchscreen (already slightly glare-prone.) NOTE: The FEH's nav screen is far less glare-prone than the Garmin I'm referring to; the FEH's screen surface is "matte" compared to the Streetpilot 2720's shiny screen. I think the standard, non anti-glare protector I bought for my FEH will be fine, but I'll let you know if the glare's unacceptable when I finally apply it. I think a matte protector might hide fingerprints better, but fingerprints weren't bothering me on the first protector attempt on the Streetpilot, it was the fact that the protector wasn't sticking around the edges.

Keep reminding me.

Last edited by GeekGal; 07-05-2006 at 04:21 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 07-05-2006, 08:16 PM

I've always liked the ones from BoxWave (have them on cameras, phones, PDA's). Sometimes like you said though the edges are a bit lifted if the die didn't cut just right and left a burr (If you cut them yourself it does the same). I'm not sure it makes much difference how you apply it but it seems to lay down flatter as time goes on.

Getting them off is easier if you take a piece of scotch tape and stick it to the top of the protector near a corner, then pull straight up. After a try or two you can get a corner to lift and then stick a small piece of scotch tape (upside down) under it to pull it the rest of the way off. The scotch tape on the boxwaves won't take off their adhesive.... its actually how they tell you to get dust off the back side.

Old 07-05-2006, 10:24 PM

Thanks for the info, Tim -- especially regarding the Scotch tape. I'll definitely try that if I need to remove a protector in the future. BTW, the Crystal Tech protectors I've been referring to in this thread are in fact from BoxWave.

Originally Posted by GeekGal
... I've read very good reviews (high legibility, no adverse affect to touch screen sensitivity, etc.) of the screen protectors called Clear Touch Crystal. There's also a Clear Touch Anti-Glare version.